Booking fees on Tickets | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Booking fees on Tickets

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
I emailed Nicki Errington, Ticket Office Manager, asking for clarification about the booking fee applied to White Membership match tickets.

I received the following reply, which I'll post here as there was nothing confidential about the email exchange. Quote:

"Booking fees have always been applied for phone or internet bookings due to the additional admin involved with the processing of the tickets.

The decision was taken this year that this fee would apply to all bookings made in this way.

Kind regards" etc

Feb 2, 2007
Not a great decision in my humble opinion. I don't mind giving extra to the club but the disappointment is that fans who don't live near the ground are disproportionately penalised. They ought to have just put up the ticket price if they NEED the money to pay for GC10

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
nick_PASTIE":3bkz6t4v said:
Not a great decision in my humble opinion. I don't mind giving extra to the club but the disappointment is that fans who don't live near the ground are disproportionately penalised. They ought to have just put up the ticket price if they NEED the money to pay for GC10

They did put the prices up...

Disappointing, because its a club decision. White memberships more than tripled in sales, but now they're upsetting fans again by changing their stance on fees for the new season. Poor form if you ask me.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
FourMarksGreen":1zl50w0g said:
I emailed Nicki Errington, Ticket Office Manager, asking for clarification about the booking fee applied to White Membership match tickets.

I received the following reply, which I'll post here as there was nothing confidential about the email exchange. Quote:

"Booking fees have always been applied for phone or internet bookings due to the additional admin involved with the processing of the tickets.

The decision was taken this year that this fee would apply to all bookings made in this way.

Kind regards" etc

But it's still charged when you print your own tickets. So that explanation doesn't make complete sense.

Feb 2, 2007
The Duke":2idwq6kr said:
FourMarksGreen":2idwq6kr said:

Kind regards" etc

But it's still charged when you print your own tickets. So that explanation doesn't make complete sense.

I would love to know the explanation for "additional admin involved with the processing" when you print at home!

Anyone who can explain that with justification?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Graham Clark":8h97u8to said:
It seems as though booking fees for match tickets are now very much the norm and they do vary significantly. Arsenal for example charge a £1.65 online booking fee for members whereas Bradford City, by contrast, charge £2. So Argyle are very much at the lower end of such charges.

When looking at booking for tickets at the Plymouth Pavilions I was surprised to learn that a 10% booking fee would be charged on all tickets over £15. There was also a 'Fulfillment Fee' to pay. Given the cost of tickets for high profile acts that is quite a cost. On looking as to what might justify this, the terms and conditions on the Pavilions website states,

"Booking fees have become an industry standard necessity at commercial venues like the Pavilions." It then continues,
"The booking fee is a vital part of our business and ensures that we continue to offer the best customer service, operating a modern and efficient Box Office service."

Perhaps the above statement may be relevant to decisions taken in relation booking fees at the Home Park box office. The Pavilions tickets are sold by Ticket Store (who I think also did MTV Crashes). Ticket Store is part of South West Ticket Solutions Limited. Two of the three Directors of that company are James Brent and Martyn Starnes.

The principal activity of South West Ticket Solutions Limited, according to their accounts, is that of a 'ticketing agency'. According to those accounts recharges of £28,111 (in 2014) and £41,890 (2015) were made to PAFC Ltd for the 'provision of accountancy services'. There is no explanation in the accounts as to what this actually means. The turnover of the company in 2015 was £286,660. All this information is in the public domain.

It looks as though booking fees (and perhaps even a fulfillment fee) will be a way of further increasing income in the future. Changes of policy on the implementation of increased fees on various forms of ticket sales will always irk and frustrate supporters and they need to be accompanied with an clear explanation, from the Club, as to why, and in what circumstances. Otherwise there will be continued undue pressure on the hardworking box office staff to explain and their job is difficult enough as it is.

Perhaps it is time for greater clarity on the relationship of the Club with Ticketmaster and possibly even, South West Ticket Solutions Limited, so when a booking fee (or any other fee for that matter) is paid there is greater certainty as to who, ultimately, is the beneficiary and why.

Well not everywhere. After reading this thread I'm rather proud that at Palace there are no extras charges at all. No additional charge for match day purchases (not that there are many left come the day), no booking fees, no charges for collection or printing at home and not even a charge for having tickets posted to a UK adddress.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Graham Clark":2k5h4qe7 said:
It seems as though booking fees for match tickets are now very much the norm and they do vary significantly. Arsenal for example charge a £1.65 online booking fee for members whereas Bradford City, by contrast, charge £2. So Argyle are very much at the lower end of such charges.

When looking at booking for tickets at the Plymouth Pavilions I was surprised to learn that a 10% booking fee would be charged on all tickets over £15. There was also a 'Fulfillment Fee' to pay. Given the cost of tickets for high profile acts that is quite a cost. On looking as to what might justify this, the terms and conditions on the Pavilions website states,

"Booking fees have become an industry standard necessity at commercial venues like the Pavilions." It then continues,
"The booking fee is a vital part of our business and ensures that we continue to offer the best customer service, operating a modern and efficient Box Office service."

Perhaps the above statement may be relevant to decisions taken in relation booking fees at the Home Park box office. The Pavilions tickets are sold by Ticket Store (who I think also did MTV Crashes). Ticket Store is part of South West Ticket Solutions Limited. Two of the three Directors of that company are James Brent and Martyn Starnes.

The principal activity of South West Ticket Solutions Limited, according to their accounts, is that of a 'ticketing agency'. According to those accounts recharges of £28,111 (in 2014) and £41,890 (2015) were made to PAFC Ltd for the 'provision of accountancy services'. There is no explanation in the accounts as to what this actually means. The turnover of the company in 2015 was £286,660. All this information is in the public domain.

It looks as though booking fees (and perhaps even a fulfillment fee) will be a way of further increasing income in the future. Changes of policy on the implementation of increased fees on various forms of ticket sales will always irk and frustrate supporters and they need to be accompanied with an clear explanation, from the Club, as to why, and in what circumstances. Otherwise there will be continued undue pressure on the hardworking box office staff to explain and their job is difficult enough as it is.

Perhaps it is time for greater clarity on the relationship of the Club with Ticketmaster and possibly even, South West Ticket Solutions Limited, so when a booking fee (or any other fee for that matter) is paid there is greater certainty as to who, ultimately, is the beneficiary and why.
Absolutely, agree with all of that.

Personally I find the claim that there is additional admin involved with processing tickets ordered via phone or online, which doesn’t exist with a face-to-face transaction, disingenuous. After all, P&P charges are already levied to cover this. Frankly I don’t believe the extra admin claim – I think it’s a fig-leaf.

I’d have much preferred the club to be open and transparent and say something like:

“We’ve always reserved the right to apply booking fees on phone or internet bookings, but in the past have chosen not to do so.

The decision was taken this year that these fees would apply to all bookings made in this way. Booking fees have become an industry standard necessity at commercial venues, and are a vital part of our business as we look to maximise our revenue streams in a competitive marketplace.

The reason that no booking fees are applied to in-person purchases at the Ticket Office is that current legislation dictates that we have to offer customers an option to purchase tickets without incurring a booking fee, and this is how we have chosen to satisfy that mandatory requirement."

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":1f0qvd6p said:
Graham Clark":1f0qvd6p said:

Well not everywhere. After reading this thread I'm rather proud that at Palace there are no extras charges at all. No additional charge for match day purchases (not that there are many left come the day), no booking fees, no charges for collection or printing at home and not even a charge for having tickets posted to a UK adddress.

A Premier League club taking a share of the billions of pounds from the latest TV deal can afford to do that!
And, who cares.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Graham Clark":zve99e5g said:
Wise words. The club would do well to pay heed.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":385a24ew said:
Lundan Cabbie":385a24ew said:
Graham Clark":385a24ew said:

A Premier League club taking a share of the billions of pounds from the latest TV deal can afford to do that!
And, who cares.

That is a massive and very valid point Ian but not all PL clubs operate in this way at the box office. Many still charge additional fees instead of sharing the TV windfall with football supporters. I won't point score over Argyle but I will do over the likes of Arsenal and Man United.

The annoying thing with booking fees is when clubs try and claim what their cheapest tickets are but conveniently forget to include these charges in their calculations.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Lundan Cabbie":1ks8oiyj said:
Graham Clark":1ks8oiyj said:

No, but when you have to pay £25 before you can even buy a ticket, asking for more on top would be a bit ridiculous.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
So who runs the Argyle online ticketing services - Ticket Master or Southwest Ticketing Services?

If TM - what is the money paid to SWTS for? And do Starnes and Brent indirectly benefit?

All of the above is of course non of my business, unless you take £1.35 off me for a pre paid ticket, in which it then is of interest to me as a fan.

So either tell us or give me quid back! :furious:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":1qi89vlf said:
Lundan Cabbie":1qi89vlf said:
Graham Clark":1qi89vlf said:

No, but when you have to pay £25 before you can even buy a ticket, asking for more on top would be a bit ridiculous.

That is true. You must be a member to buy tickets but membership comes with other benefits too so it doesn't take long to recoup the annual outlay. 10% club shop discount means that just by buying the two replica shirts you get £9 in discount before any other savings.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Argy1e":3191zrgn said:
Lundan Cabbie":3191zrgn said:
Graham Clark":3191zrgn said:

I paid £120.00 for my membership to buy tickets and I'm being asked to pay more on top...

Fair play to Palace. Small gestures like this can be appreciated. I certainly appreciated it before, I'm disappointed it's not been explained why it's been taken away.