Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread

Feb 2, 2007
Stiffler":34cjhhi4 said:
All a bunch of hypocrites anyway, just the 75.000 went to Wembley to watch the final last year between Oxford and Coventry.
In Oxfords first match only 1500 turned up yet they all rocked up to a competion they were boycotting at Wembley, you lot here will do the same.

I think Cov had 42k there and Oxford about 28k with 5k neutral.

Cov fans boycott most of their home games due to the Ricoh and owner issues and saw Wembley as a way of supporting their team so the owners wouldn't benefit from gate receipt, which bumped up the gate. Oxford had been their the previous season but took around 8k less, so arguably many of the core support did continue their boycott.

Feb 23, 2008
Greenrod":207g9gsd said:
LeonTheGreen":207g9gsd said:
PL2 3DQ":207g9gsd said:
I'm disappointed with the way the club has handled this game in the media.

There was a survey of fans at the end of last season whereby we voted against the inclusion of PL B teams in the competition and wanted a return of the old format.
Guided by this the club voted accordingly at the EFL summer meeting but were outvoted by other clubs.

Despite knowing all this the club media department issued veiled smart ass pot shots at fans who didn't want to go to the game against Chelsea starting with the 'prejudice' article on the eve of our first home league game of the season followed by smarmy tweets during the game against Chelsea.

The club should remember that while many fans went to the game (I've no problem with any fan who went to the game) and were praised by the Argyle media for doing so a great many other fans, who probably took part in the original survey, chose not to go.

The club media dept should have professionally respected the decision of the survey and the decision of the fans who didn't want to attend the game.

Shaun Harvey has caused a lot of anguish.

Agreed. Petty from the media team. Especially when you consider Derek Adams has even come out and said that it was a game he could have done without, and that he didn't learn anything!

Did Derek really say that? I notice that the Herald quotes that he said that, it was a game he wouldn't like to watch week in week out. However Argyle's own web site quotes him saying, it was a game that he would like to see week in, week out.
Who is right?

Yeah he did, thought it was a bit contradictory after the prejudices article before the game, however he's probably in between a rock and a hard place isn't he.

If you listen to the Derek's deliberation audio clip on the greensonscreen match report page he says it then.

Feb 23, 2008
Bermudian Green":15wanc9r said:
Marketing certainly, plus the fact it was "Chelsea", EPL Champions. Many of the kids who went tonight went to see Chelsea, and will likely now become Chelsea fans. That's cool though, because in a few years time they can come back to Home Park for the first time since last night to watch Chelsea B in a league match v Argyle.

Chelsea was a draw yes, however the youngsters sat behind me were more interested in when they would see Graham Carey and when was the next game they could come to. My two go with me every home game as season ticket holders and even they were buzzing after the two late goals and penalty shoot out.

I don't understand why people think the Checkatrade means we'll be playing B teams in the league? Surely they're two separate entities, there has been or will be a vote on letting them in and the EFL, clubs and fans are intelligent enough to differentiate between messing about with a trophy that no one cares about until there's a trip to Wembley in the offing or the bread and butter football league structure?

Sep 25, 2010
chunkymonkey78":17d9z8bu said:
Bermudian Green":17d9z8bu said:
Marketing certainly, plus the fact it was "Chelsea", EPL Champions. Many of the kids who went tonight went to see Chelsea, and will likely now become Chelsea fans. That's cool though, because in a few years time they can come back to Home Park for the first time since last night to watch Chelsea B in a league match v Argyle.

Chelsea was a draw yes, however the youngsters sat behind me were more interested in when they would see Graham Carey and when was the next game they could come to. My two go with me every home game as season ticket holders and even they were buzzing after the two late goals and penalty shoot out.

I don't understand why people think the Checkatrade means we'll be playing B teams in the league? Surely they're two separate entities, there has been or will be a vote on letting them in and the EFL, clubs and fans are intelligent enough to differentiate between messing about with a trophy that no one cares about until there's a trip to Wembley in the offing or the bread and butter football league structure?

Spot the on there chunkymonkey, there is a difference.

There will be vote at the time, but can't see this ever being proposed, because of the total disruption it would cause.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Martyn":310dbg8s said:
chunkymonkey78":310dbg8s said:
Bermudian Green":310dbg8s said:

Spot the on there chunkymonkey, there is a difference.

There will be vote at the time, but can't see this ever being proposed, because of the total disruption it would cause.

The proposal have already been drawn up and the plan is in place. A third league with 8 new "invited" teams. A closed football league with no relegation to the conference or promotion from it.

The proposals were met with sharp criticism from fans and clubs responded accordingly. Did the football league drop the agenda because of this? Nope. They put it on the back burner because the FA didnt want it's cup games scheduled for midweek. That's got to be a concern, no? All that criticism, yet they ignored that and turned the FA into the party poopers.

At the end of the day we're dealing with a total clown in Shaun Harvey. I believe I'm correct in saying that the bloke oversaw administrations at both Bradford and Leeds. His C.V. reads reckless and self-interested. What he's done with the FL Trophy is turn it into an example for chairman as to how sacrifice on the football leagues worth can lead to a bit of Premier League cash.

Shaun Harvey is probably at his office going, "wow look at how positive my changes have been! The people of Plymouth loved it, what was it? 4,000! Wow that's probably the best attendance they've ever had." The bloke is a tool.

I'm delighted young fans have had a cut price opportunity to attend Argyle and see some more of the squad players. I'm delighted Alex Fletcher had an opportunity to prove his worth. That's what the competition is about and always has been. It doesn't need to degrade itself to include B teams in order to achieve all the points you and Chunky are discussing.

R

rdr123

Number 70 who scored both of the Chelsea goals looked a decent player. Looks like he is capable of doing well in League 1, potential loan option?

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
The 'Club' has done themselves absolutely no favours here and somebody has to acknowledge that they have lied to the fans.

On one hand the club website has quoted Adams as saying "It is a game I could watch week in week out. The people that were here enjoyed it. It was an entertaining end to end game" (Investing in Futures Article)

Yet the Herald has quoted Adams as saying, "We didn't learn much. It's a game that I could do without. "It's a game that I wouldn't want to watch week in week out because the atmosphere is not the same."

These two statements could not be any further apart if they tried. They are almost word for word, the opposite.

Some one is lying. Who:

- Is it Errington and the Herald?
- Has Adams said two completely different things?
- Is it the Club? Be it Rick Cowdery himself, pressure from the board, pressure from the EFL?

:furious:

May 8, 2011
Stuart House":x4jse9cs said:
The 'Club' has done themselves absolutely no favours here and somebody has to acknowledge that they have lied to the fans.

On one hand the club website has quoted Adams as saying "It is a game I could watch week in week out. The people that were here enjoyed it. It was an entertaining end to end game" (Investing in Futures Article)

Yet the Herald has quoted Adams as saying, "We didn't learn much. It's a game that I could do without. "It's a game that I wouldn't want to watch week in week out because the atmosphere is not the same."

These two statements could not be any further apart if they tried. They are almost word for word, the opposite.

Some one is lying. Who:

- Is it the Club? Be it Rick Cowdery himself, pressure from the board, pressure from the EFL?

It does seem odd how obsessed some people are about this match and competition.

I would have thought those advocating a boycott would have taken the view that the match never happened and totally ignored anything and everything about it rather than following it avidly through twitter and reading every press release or article about it. Some boycott!

Personally I think most people who didn't go on Tuesday did for the same reason 10,000 Bristol City fan 'boycotted' our EFL Cup match.

May 8, 2011
Stuart House":103xnsqn said:
Because some people can for see where this will ending up, and regardless of the circumstances, lying to fans is never a good thing.

Wembley?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
HC Green":3b8oqlbz said:
Stuart House":3b8oqlbz said:

Some one is lying. Who:

It does seem odd how obsessed some people are about this match and competition.

I would have thought those advocating a boycott would have taken the view that the match never happened and totally ignored anything and everything about it rather than following it avidly through twitter and reading every press release or article about it. Some boycott!

Personally I think most people who didn't go on Tuesday did for the same reason 10,000 Bristol City fan 'boycotted' our EFL Cup match.

Don't judge everyone else by your own standards.

I used to enjoy Argyle's JPT fixture on a Tuesday night and would quite happily make the trip up from Truro each year to watch it if we were drawn at home.

If you don't agree with the boycott that's your choice but don't mock those who made the difficult choice to turn their back on an Argyle game for what they see as the greater good.

P

Positively Green

Quote "It does seem odd how obsessed some people are about this match and competition.

Personally I think most people who didn't go on Tuesday did for the same reason 10,000 Bristol City fan 'boycotted' our EFL Cup match."

"Don't judge everyone else by your own standards.

I used to enjoy Argyle's JPT fixture on a Tuesday night and would quite happily make the trip up from Truro each year to watch it if we were drawn at home.

If you don't agree with the boycott that's your choice but don't mock those who made the difficult choice to turn their back on an Argyle game for what they see as the greater good."Quote

Surely the original poster was just giving another side of the argument. The #Boycott argument has been well and truly churned out and not always in a very respectful way. It is good to have a balanced debate where possible.

May 8, 2011
Positively Green":35qugpwv said:
Quote "It does seem odd how obsessed some people are about this match and competition.

Personally I think most people who didn't go on Tuesday did for the same reason 10,000 Bristol City fan 'boycotted' our EFL Cup match."

If you don't agree with the boycott that's your choice but don't mock those who made the difficult choice to turn their back on an Argyle game for what they see as the greater good."Quote

Surely the original poster was just giving another side of the argument. The #Boycott argument has been well and truly churned out and not always in a very respectful way. It is good to have a balanced debate where possible.

My argument is that fans have always boycotted the JPT, the LDV, the Freight Rover, the Autoglass and all the over names for it, back then it just wasn't called a boycott!

P

Positively Green

HC Green":xrke22zt said:
Positively Green":xrke22zt said:

My argument is that fans have always boycotted the JPT, the LDV, the Freight Rover, the Autoglass and all the over names for it, back then it just wasn't called a boycott!

I agree with you. It's only a boycott if you ever intended going in the first place (or used to in the past). A bit like me saying I will give up smoking when I don't smoke).