Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
HC Green":3gfopu20 said:
Anyone know what the attendance was at Stoke Gabriel as it must have been a bumper crowd as so many 'boycotters' were going there instead.
Also the Academy must have had a significant income boost as the boycotters were going to give their £8s to them.
If they did they're hypocrites.

Sep 18, 2010
I'm ashamed of all those so called fans that didn't go to Stoke Gabriel.They should be disgusted with themselves!!!! :)

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":1gtwopmq said:
I'm disappointed with the way the club has handled this game in the media.

There was a survey of fans at the end of last season whereby we voted against the inclusion of PL B teams in the competition and wanted a return of the old format.
Guided by this the club voted accordingly at the EFL summer meeting but were outvoted by other clubs.

Despite knowing all this the club media department issued veiled smart ass pot shots at fans who didn't want to go to the game against Chelsea starting with the 'prejudice' article on the eve of our first home league game of the season followed by smarmy tweets during the game against Chelsea.

The club should remember that while many fans went to the game (I've no problem with any fan who went to the game) and were praised by the Argyle media for doing so a great many other fans, who probably took part in the original survey, chose not to go.

The club media dept should have professionally respected the decision of the survey and the decision of the fans who didn't want to attend the game.

Shaun Harvey has caused a lot of anguish.

Agreed. Petty from the media team. Especially when you consider Derek Adams has even come out and said that it was a game he could of done without, and that he didn't learn anything!

May 8, 2011
LeonTheGreen":2vq7qven said:
PL2 3DQ":2vq7qven said:

There was a survey of fans at the end of last season whereby we voted against the inclusion of PL B teams in the competition and wanted a return of the old format.
Guided by this the club voted accordingly at the EFL summer meeting but were outvoted by other clubs.

Despite knowing all this the club media department issued veiled smart ass pot shots at fans who didn't want to go to the game against Chelsea starting with the 'prejudice' article on the eve of our first home league game of the season followed by smarmy tweets during the game against Chelsea.

The club should remember that while many fans went to the game (I've no problem with any fan who went to the game) and were praised by the Argyle media for doing so a great many other fans, who probably took part in the original survey, chose not to go.

The club media dept should have professionally respected the decision of the survey and the decision of the fans who didn't want to attend the game.

Agreed. Petty from the media team. Especially when you consider Derek Adams has even come out and said that it was a game he could have done without, and that he didn't learn anything!

I disagree, Argyle's marketing of the game was excellent, there was an increase of over 1,600 on the attendance for this competition last year.

I do think some people are just too sensitive but then we do live in an era of 'mock outrage' about the slightest thing.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
5k for the win aswel

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Whilst I don't agree with the format of this competition, and won't be attending, I don't blame the club for promoting it or supporters for attending it. I fully support free will and nothing will change it because the EFL chairman have voted!
Having said that, I'm amazed that the majority voted in favour when one considers the antipathy towards it across the entire national fanbase!
Could it be that our club's board are one of a minority that actually engages and listens to it's fans.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
GreenArmy1984":11vmxoki said:
Just remember the size of the prize

Checkatrade Final at Wembley Stadium

8th April 2018

Come On You Greens :scarf:

It would be interesting to see how many would boycott that one!? ;)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3nkoay91 said:

There was a survey and the club respected the outcome and tailored their vote accordingly.

There was an EFL vote and the club are respecting the outcome.

That's democracy for you. Stand by your views by all means but if you enter a vote, be prepared to respect the result.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
PL2 3DQ":wp4xu905 said:

Spot on posty. It wouldn't have been that difficult to have found an angle which showed class, accepting that the game is on and keeping people informed, whilst also accepting that some people chose not to go for valid reasons. Unfortunately the media team appear to have deliberately chosen to take the opposite stance, basically saying 'loads turned up, where were you?'.

If most businesses ran their social media output in the manner that Argyle did, some questions would be asked with regards to how they are conducting themselves and their relationship with the public (customers, supporters, call them what you will).

I guess because we are a football club and will support Argyle anyway, they feel they can get away with it.

I would like to see us have a more professional approach to communications though.

Aren't we advertising for a new employee who would be looking at this?

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Twitter has also highlighted certain discrepancies with regards to comments reportedly made by Derek Adams on the official site and The Herald website:

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2017/august ... n-futures/

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/i-could-h ... story.html

Of course Derek Adams could have said one thing to Chris and another to the club's own media team (not particularly clever if so, in my opinion) but it does appear that Plymouth Argyle have something of a love-in with the Checkatrade Trophy at present.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
LeonTheGreen":25tmftj3 said:
PL2 3DQ":25tmftj3 said:

Agreed. Petty from the media team. Especially when you consider Derek Adams has even come out and said that it was a game he could have done without, and that he didn't learn anything!

Did Derek really say that? I notice that the Herald quotes that he said that, it was a game he wouldn't like to watch week in week out. However Argyle's own web site quotes him saying, it was a game that he would like to see week in, week out.
Who is right?

Marketing certainly, plus the fact it was "Chelsea", EPL Champions. Many of the kids who went tonight went to see Chelsea, and will likely now become Chelsea fans. That's cool though, because in a few years time they can come back to Home Park for the first time since last night to watch Chelsea B in a league match v Argyle.