Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I cannot believe any Argyle fan would support the idea of B teams, if you do you're essentially saying that you want Argyle playing league matches at empty training grounds and smaller, more lifeless away attendances at Home Park than we ever had in league 2?

Introducing B teams would drastically lower competitiveness, lower crowds, worsen atmospheres, and effectively make League's 1 & 2 a play toy for top flight clubs.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Northernlightgreen":22gthaue said:
I quite like the idea of B teams in the league. Time for change, too much old school stuff, lets get some excitement and more of the PL money into the EFL competitions. Be good for England team as well, young players playing competitively. Too many people thinking change is bad here.

:lol:

Good effort :thumbs:

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge":2egesf7p said:
I cannot believe any Argyle fan would support the idea of B teams, if you do you're essentially saying that you want Argyle playing league matches at empty training grounds
Most U23 games aren't played at training grounds. If they were in the football league they'd probably have to host games in a stadium that meets Football League ground grading.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Argy1e":3bdv2pid said:
Cobi Budge":3bdv2pid said:
I cannot believe any Argyle fan would support the idea of B teams, if you do you're essentially saying that you want Argyle playing league matches at empty training grounds
Most U23 games aren't played at training grounds. If they were in the football league they'd probably have to host games in a stadium that meets Football League ground grading.

Even then, the stadium's would be empty, atmosphere's non existent, and so called 'competetive' lower league football matches would just resemble friendlies/training sessions, a 90 minute keep ball session for the B teams. You'd see a significant drop in competetivenes & intensity. Also what happens if a B team gets promoted into the league the 1st team is actually in? So many flaws.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Herts_Green":1rem12vz said:
Biggs":1rem12vz said:
davie nine":1rem12vz said:
It's interesting that, to date, this thread has attracted 5,466 views, 18 pages and 225 posts about a game that involved a 'mickey mouse' competition that nobody was interested in.

A boycott doesn't mean there is no interest in something. Quite the opposite.

It's attracted a lot of attention because many of us feel this is the thin end of the wedge of something that could drastically alter and harm lower league football.

For those who don't see the link between B teams in the Checkatrade trophy and B teams in the Football League, B teams were proposed to be included in the FL in 2014 by the FA and in 2016 as part of Shaun Harvey's Whole Game Solution. How can there not be a link?

This all reminds me Barcelona's insistence to worried fans that they would never have a corporate sponsor on their shirts. They signed a deal with Unicef in 2006, but that's OK because it was just a charity and this was a good deed. Then in 2011 went with the Qatar Foundation, still technically a charity. Then in 2013 went the whole hog and signed a multi-million deal with Qatar Airways, to little controversy because the fans had got used to a logo on the shirt.

In football, money talks and there is always a thick end to the wedge.

Great post, particularly the Barca analogy. Sums up my thoughts exactly.
I certainly don't see that as a great analogy. Barcelona is only one club.

I would hate to see EPL B teams in the EFL setup but there would need to be a high proportion of EFL clubs voting in favour. I think that Mr Harvey will be voted out before that happens.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
If anyone wants an insight into the pressures facing football league clubs and why the Premier League could easily buy places for their BTeams, then i recommend following the Accrington chairman, Andy Holt (@AndyhHolt) on Twitter.

This gem from earlier today is eye opening:

".@ASFCofficial income streams Receipts in order
1. Solidarity and @EFL
2. Players
3. Gates
4. Cup runs
5. Sponsors
6. Hospitality
7. Pies"

When the Premier League is your main source of funding, you are very vulnerable.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, though they are particularly unfortunate in having an incredibly low average attendance (not much over 1,500?)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cobi Budge":3aidosef said:
Argy1e":3aidosef said:
Cobi Budge":3aidosef said:

Even then, the stadium's would be empty, atmosphere's non existent, and so called 'competetive' lower league football matches would just resemble friendlies/training sessions, a 90 minute keep ball session for the B teams. You'd see a significant drop in competetivenes & intensity. Also what happens if a B team gets promoted into the league the 1st team is actually in? So many flaws.

The original proposal stated that League One would be the highest B Teams could progress to, which could mean not only League One having several B Teams but they would also be stuck in that league which forces established lower league clubs further down the league pyramid.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Biggs":373zxjk0 said:
Yep, though they are particularly unfortunate in having an incredibly low average attendance (not much over 1,500?)
They may be an extreme case but they aren't alone. Notts County voted for BTeams to stay because they were desperate for the £20k

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Mark_Colling":1ddl7kkn said:
Biggs":1ddl7kkn said:
They may be an extreme case but they aren't alone. Notts County voted for BTeams to stay because they were desperate for the £20k

Yep, which is a dangerous model to build clubs upon - as we know all too well. Harvey seems to support this though. Supporting this competition and B teams is supporting him.

I appreciate many say they went to support the team and not the competition, but Harvey will use them as an example of B team success - like it or not, he will misrepresent you.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
To be clear, if Argyle are playing, I support the team and want them to win. I just won't be there as long as BTeams are involved as I believe that is supporting the long term interests of both Argyle and other clubs.