Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
The club have also decided to retweet (from the official account) a tweet from a fan saying:

"@Only1Argyle what a game, shame people decided to boycott it"

Is this really necessary? It is openly causing disagreements and arguments between Argyle fans who follow the @Only1Argyle account.

And for why purpose? So a few people might think 'Oh I wish I had gone now' (even though that is very unlikely)?

Why is the club having a go at certain supporters using online communications? It is simply unacceptable in my view.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Greenrod":agveiqje said:
LeonTheGreen":agveiqje said:
PL2 3DQ":agveiqje said:
I'm disappointed with the way the club has handled this game in the media.

There was a survey of fans at the end of last season whereby we voted against the inclusion of PL B teams in the competition and wanted a return of the old format.
Guided by this the club voted accordingly at the EFL summer meeting but were outvoted by other clubs.

Despite knowing all this the club media department issued veiled smart ass pot shots at fans who didn't want to go to the game against Chelsea starting with the 'prejudice' article on the eve of our first home league game of the season followed by smarmy tweets during the game against Chelsea.

The club should remember that while many fans went to the game (I've no problem with any fan who went to the game) and were praised by the Argyle media for doing so a great many other fans, who probably took part in the original survey, chose not to go.

The club media dept should have professionally respected the decision of the survey and the decision of the fans who didn't want to attend the game.

Shaun Harvey has caused a lot of anguish.

Agreed. Petty from the media team. Especially when you consider Derek Adams has even come out and said that it was a game he could have done without, and that he didn't learn anything!

Did Derek really say that? I notice that the Herald quotes that he said that, it was a game he wouldn't like to watch week in week out. However Argyle's own web site quotes him saying, it was a game that he would like to see week in, week out.
Who is right?

After the way PAFC media team tweeted last night, I'll believe the long standing Argyle journalist Chris Errington.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":3vwyyv8n said:
I'm disappointed with the way the club has handled this game in the media.

There was a survey of fans at the end of last season whereby we voted against the inclusion of PL B teams in the competition and wanted a return of the old format.
Guided by this the club voted accordingly at the EFL summer meeting but were outvoted by other clubs.

Despite knowing all this the club media department issued veiled smart ass pot shots at fans who didn't want to go to the game against Chelsea starting with the 'prejudice' article on the eve of our first home league game of the season followed by smarmy tweets during the game against Chelsea.

The club should remember that while many fans went to the game (I've no problem with any fan who went to the game) and were praised by the Argyle media for doing so a great many other fans, who probably took part in the original survey, chose not to go.

The club media dept should have professionally respected the decision of the survey and the decision of the fans who didn't want to attend the game.

Shaun Harvey has caused a lot of anguish.

This for me, a very odd way of following up our no vote to maintaining the format.

To those claiming it a marketing masterpiece, this isn't what we're talking about. The club pitched it at kids to get next generation interested, the regulars wouldn't be there so why not give youngsters their cheap evening out instead. Honestly it's a good idea which hopefully benefits Argyle in the longer term, no complaints about the idea.

This went beyond marketing the game though. Once the game kicked off that's it, you've done the marketing, the kids are there. The club however proceeds to mock, their only picture of the fans labelled a "choca Devonport", so much for leaving the Lyndy closed for the cameras as mentioned on here, instead they chose the Devonport because it's an easier stand to make look full.

It continued during the updates, "Argyle kicking towards a full Devonport", "Ainsworth shoots towards the packed Devonport". What sort of message are they trying to send out here? They knew the audience they were Tweeting were those not at the game, not the youngsters they were marketing the game to.

I don't understand why, yes get the kids in for this and ensure they enjoy their day out and hopefully come back but why use that to have a jibe at your regulars who are only boycotting because we feel it is the best way to support our club (whether you agree with the method or not, that is our aim). We are the bread and butter not those kids, why alienate your main client base, who benefits from that?

I thought in boycotting this game my club was with me, they refused to be trod on by the Football League. As such my plan was to buy a few things in the club shop to ensure the club itself didn't lose out because of the boycott. Well you know what, they can shove it. The message they have sent out is one of reluctantly voting for the fans but resenting us for making them vote against their Football League paymasters having supported them last year. One step forward two back from our PR department it seems.

A marketing masterclass to get kids in maybe but a huge amount of goodwill from the regulars potentially put in jeopardy, I hope it was worth it.

Jul 18, 2013
I don't support the competition, never have done despite the format.

I did go last night though and am glad I did. I have two boys aged 8 and 4. This was an ideal opportunity to take them to a game free of charge. Those of you with kids of a similar age will know how difficult it can be keeping children of that age engaged on the game for 90 minutes.

My boys enjoyed themselves last night, they saw a enalty shoot out, played table tennis post match, had their faces painted and played beat the goalie. As far as I'm concerned they had a positive experience and as their interest in football grows they will look forward to coming back to Home Park.

The bigger picture here for me is that the club attract the fans of tomorrow and encourage family traditions of support. There were three generations of my family at that game last night. I'm proud I went.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Was a catch 22 for the club.

That is the sort of game that will engage the young fans. To not market it would be criminal - regardless of what they think of the competition as a whole. They have voted accordingly but couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Do the club do other free kid tickets for league games. Not sure home to Fleetwood would be as appealing but would be good to keep these kids engaged.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Out of interest, I had a flick through the media coverage of the Pompey Vs Fulham U21 game.

Purely factual to keep people informed (fair enough), as in "This happened, then this happened..."

Opening paragraph of the match report states:

"Pompey began their Checkatrade Trophy campaign with an entertaining 3-3 against Fulham’s under-21 side at a sparsely-populated Fratton Park."

No sly digs at fans. No massive love-in with a competition that a large proportion of fans disagree with.

Fair play to them. What a shame that our club thinks that their tone is funny / clever / constructive.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/201 ... 16-aug-17/

Feb 2, 2007
Good ol Pompey

If we support our club then ride with the propaganada. I take the kids to proper games but each to their own.

Derek has made his feelings known and the club voted no. Now we have to accept the vote, Brexit and POTUS.

A

andyr1963

Ade the green":3em8npj8 said:
Does anyone know if Ethan Ampadu was Chelsea's captain tonight? I noticed that before the start of the second half he lined up, then proceeded to go around each of the Chelsea players and high five or hug them, just wondered if he was Capo or whether he was just playing the "big I AM" because his play didn't really warrant it. Apparently his fee to sign for Chelsea has not been decided or agreed yet. I wonder if he's just on extended trial and will be back in League 2 soon.

:lol: Go on Ade, I'll bite.

Ampadu was head and shoulders easily the best player on the pitch last night. Proper posy git granted, but a clear class act. One of those players who seemed to have a few seconds to consider rather than rushing. Bobby Moore he ain't but he has that elegant slow style about him.
Saw him about 15mins into the second half rush a clearance and it was so unlike the rest of his play my mate and I both commented on it. Won plenty of tackles cleanly and distribution was excellent. MAN OF THE MATCH performance.

:scarf:

Edited to add, sorry should have quoted previous post in thread.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
andyr1963":df6cm8zx said:
Ade the green":df6cm8zx said:
Does anyone know if Ethan Ampadu was Chelsea's captain tonight? I noticed that before the start of the second half he lined up, then proceeded to go around each of the Chelsea players and high five or hug them, just wondered if he was Capo or whether he was just playing the "big I AM" because his play didn't really warrant it. Apparently his fee to sign for Chelsea has not been decided or agreed yet. I wonder if he's just on extended trial and will be back in League 2 soon.

Ampadu was head and shoulders easily the best player on the pitch last night. Proper posy git granted, but a clear class act. One of those players who seemed to have a few seconds to consider rather than rushing. Bobby Moore he ain't but he has that elegant slow style about him.
Saw him about 15mins into the second half rush a clearance and it was so unlike the rest of his play my mate and I both commented on it. Won plenty of tackles cleanly and distribution was excellent. MAN OF THE MATCH performance.

Ade doesn't like anything with the slightest connection to Exeter City. :D

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Phil Sloggett":hdrabeqv said:
Out of interest, I had a flick through the media coverage of the Pompey Vs Fulham U21 game.

Purely factual to keep people informed (fair enough), as in "This happened, then this happened..."

Opening paragraph of the match report states:

"Pompey began their Checkatrade Trophy campaign with an entertaining 3-3 against Fulham’s under-21 side at a sparsely-populated Fratton Park."

No sly digs at fans. No massive love-in with a competition that a large proportion of fans disagree with.

Fair play to them. What a shame that our club thinks that their tone is funny / clever / constructive.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/201 ... 16-aug-17/

The people calling for a boycott started all the divisive feelings, not the club. The club asked supporters what way they wanted the club to vote for, and went with that. However they then have to follow the majority, and find their own supporter electronically harassing other supporters who basically don't see the issue the same way, creating significant division and argument.

So now the club are at fault for having a bit of fun and a spine, you lot are having a bloody laugh, grow up.

Jul 3, 2013
All a bunch of hypocrites anyway, just the 75.000 went to Wembley to watch the final last year between Oxford and Coventry.
In Oxfords first match only 1500 turned up yet they all rocked up to a competion they were boycotting at Wembley, you lot here will do the same.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Keepitgreen":1t6uvrjx said:
andyr1963":1t6uvrjx said:
Ade the green":1t6uvrjx said:

Ade doesn't like anything with the slightest connection to Exeter City. :D

Absolutely I don't.

However I went on Tuesday with a hope of seeing him to see what the hype was and I disagree with anyone calling him MotM or even the best player for Chelsea. I stand by what I said about when he kicked the ball it rarely found his team mates and the ball sounded dull and "punctured" when he kicked it. I also stand by what I said about. Him continually high fiving his team mates and on one occasion was doing it with his back to the ball when Argyle took a quick corner. His one run with the ball ended with him falling over as if shot when he was tackled. If he had time to play the ball it was because we only have one striker and as there were two CBs they weren't pressed. The better of the Chelsea CBs was their number 51 and oh, forgot that every time EA received the ball from a goal kick he decided to retreat almost to the corner flag.

All of this I perceived because I distinctly watched him wondering and waiting for him to show the reason he's no longer playing league 2 football. I will say, well done to get first team games at 16 years old but I did not see what the hype was for. Bear in mind as well that EA is joining a squad of players that has probably been at Chelsea since they were 8-9 years old and it's no wonder that these players are more adept.

It's all about opinions and that was mine from my first time of seeing any of the young Chelsea players. He wasn't the worst IMO and I got the feeling that McCormick (Chelsea) is all about pace and not so much ball control. Their player I think Sterling was the MotM for me for Chelsea and I thought Ainsworth probably for Argyle. I did wish I saw a bit more of open play from Fletcher but I couldn't always pick him due to the numbering on the Argyle shirts being so confusing.