Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Chelsea (U21's) Match Thread

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
By all means you both continue to debate based on your "opinion" rather than facts and figures. Who'd want to consider those inconvenient truths that your argument doesn't stand up against? Far easier to be right when narrow-minded.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It's interesting that, to date, this thread has attracted 5,466 views, 18 pages and 225 posts about a game that involved a 'mickey mouse' competition that nobody was interested in.

May 8, 2011
SwimWithTheTide":ialwm0gu said:
By all means you both continue to debate based on your "opinion" rather than facts and figures. Who'd want to consider those inconvenient truths that your argument doesn't stand up against? Far easier to be right when narrow-minded.

It is not an opinion it is fact.

In the old JPT we played Swindon at home, they were in a higher league, attendance 2,668.
The previous league game was against Shrewsbury which we won and the attendance was 6,229.
Why did fans boycott the JPT?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
davie nine":1sw5dk0p said:
It's interesting that, to date, this thread has attracted 5,466 views, 18 pages and 225 posts about a game that involved a 'mickey mouse' competition that nobody was interested in.

It's an emotive and controversial subject.

Can anyone disagree that Shaun Harvey's controversial changes have caused divides amongst fan bases within the football league? That's his achievement. I hope he's proud.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
davie nine":329d1vok said:

A boycott doesn't mean there is no interest in something. Quite the opposite.

It's attracted a lot of attention because many of us feel this is the thin end of the wedge of something that could drastically alter and harm lower league football.

For those who don't see the link between B teams in the Checkatrade trophy and B teams in the Football League, B teams were proposed to be included in the FL in 2014 by the FA and in 2016 as part of Shaun Harvey's Whole Game Solution. How can there not be a link?

This all reminds me Barcelona's insistence to worried fans that they would never have a corporate sponsor on their shirts. They signed a deal with Unicef in 2006, but that's OK because it was just a charity and this was a good deed. Then in 2011 went with the Qatar Foundation, still technically a charity. Then in 2013 went the whole hog and signed a multi-million deal with Qatar Airways, to little controversy because the fans had got used to a logo on the shirt.

In football, money talks and there is always a thick end to the wedge.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
HC Green":3psbs2fo said:
SwimWithTheTide":3psbs2fo said:

In the old JPT we played Swindon at home, they were in a higher league, attendance 2,668.
The previous league game was against Shrewsbury which we won and the attendance was 6,229.

True HC, the competition needed rival. I won't argue against that. It's the 4th choice competition, which is why it's often treated for 2nd string and youth team players. Are you aware if Argyle marketed the Swindon fixture with several activities for kids, and free tickets? It would be interesting to know the £ per person from Tuesdays game. Maybe Starnes could provide further details in his Herald column.

This is a good thread:
https://twitter.com/uglygame/status/897166988132458496

And from the same author:
https://theuglygame.wordpress.com/2017/ ... ruins/amp/

If you're interested I think they're both worth a read.

Out of interest, and correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be anti B teams in the leagues, but pro B teams in the trophy. Why is it acceptable in this trophy, but not the league?

Is there a genuine benefit that this version of the competition has for Argyle, by including B teams, that was not present beforehand?

May 8, 2011
SwimWithTheTide":16rhka5c said:
HC Green":16rhka5c said:
SwimWithTheTide":16rhka5c said:

True HC, the competition needed rival. I won't argue against that. It's the 4th choice competition, which is why it's often treated for 2nd string and youth team players. Are you aware if Argyle marketed the Swindon fixture with several activities for kids, and free tickets? It would be interesting to know the £ per person from Tuesdays game. Maybe Starnes could provide further details in his Herald column.

This is a good thread:
https://twitter.com/uglygame/status/897166988132458496

And from the same author:
https://theuglygame.wordpress.com/2017/ ... ruins/amp/

If you're interested I think they're both worth a read.

Out of interest, and correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be anti B teams in the leagues, but pro B teams in the trophy. Why is it acceptable in this trophy, but not the league?

Is there a genuine benefit that this version of the competition has for Argyle, by including B teams, that was not present beforehand?

All Cup completions have their separate rules and quirks, FA Cup different entry levels, EFL Cup different entry levels, seeded teams, EFL Trophy, group stages, B Teams.
It is the nature of the Beast.

I'm not worked up about the prospects of B teams entering the League system because it won't happen.

Just when will EFL Chairman/owners vote to have the possibility of their Club being put out of business so a B Team can take their place.

Sep 25, 2010
Positively Green":1gt3v6iq said:
Quote "It does seem odd how obsessed some people are about this match and competition.

I would have thought those advocating a boycott would have taken the view that the match never happened and totally ignored anything and everything about it rather than following it avidly through twitter and reading every press release or article about it. Some boycott!

Personally I think most people who didn't go on Tuesday did for the same reason 10,000 Bristol City fan 'boycotted' our EFL Cup match."

"Don't judge everyone else by your own standards.

I used to enjoy Argyle's JPT fixture on a Tuesday night and would quite happily make the trip up from Truro each year to watch it if we were drawn at home.

If you don't agree with the boycott that's your choice but don't mock those who made the difficult choice to turn their back on an Argyle game for what they see as the greater good."Quote

Surely the original poster was just giving another side of the argument. The #Boycott argument has been well and truly churned out and not always in a very respectful way. It is good to have a balanced debate where possible.

What is partically annoying, is those who chose to attend, are called by some on here, scum, picket breakers, and we should be ashamed of ourselves.

No balanced debate there.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
HC Green":13p3x6n3 said:
SwimWithTheTide":13p3x6n3 said:

So using and comparing those numbers above with the attendance for the previous winning league game against Charlton last Saturday - the game against the Chelsea children saw a 7% drop in the attendance.

For the Swindon game do you know if a paying adult was allowed to take three free kids into Home Park?

The B team proposal doesn't have PL B teams replacing established lower league teams, it has the creation of a new fifth league to accommodate these extra teams.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
PL2 3DQ":xnivdmc1 said:
HC Green":xnivdmc1 said:
SwimWithTheTide":xnivdmc1 said:

So using and comparing those numbers above with the attendance for the previous winning league game against Charlton last Saturday - the game against the Chelsea children saw a 7% drop in the attendance.

For the Swindon game do you know if a paying adult was allowed to take three free kids into Home Park?

The B team proposal doesn't have PL B teams replacing established lower league teams, it has the creation of a new fifth league to accommodate these extra teams.
Thereby, immediately downgrading everyone below that level and, over time doing the same to much of Divisions Three and Four.

Jul 14, 2008
Biggs":5ooj1pvs said:
davie nine":5ooj1pvs said:

A boycott doesn't mean there is no interest in something. Quite the opposite.

It's attracted a lot of attention because many of us feel this is the thin end of the wedge of something that could drastically alter and harm lower league football.

For those who don't see the link between B teams in the Checkatrade trophy and B teams in the Football League, B teams were proposed to be included in the FL in 2014 by the FA and in 2016 as part of Shaun Harvey's Whole Game Solution. How can there not be a link?

This all reminds me Barcelona's insistence to worried fans that they would never have a corporate sponsor on their shirts. They signed a deal with Unicef in 2006, but that's OK because it was just a charity and this was a good deed. Then in 2011 went with the Qatar Foundation, still technically a charity. Then in 2013 went the whole hog and signed a multi-million deal with Qatar Airways, to little controversy because the fans had got used to a logo on the shirt.

In football, money talks and there is always a thick end to the wedge.

Great post, particularly the Barca analogy. Sums up my thoughts exactly.

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
I quite like the idea of B teams in the league. Time for change, too much old school stuff, lets get some excitement and more of the PL money into the EFL competitions. Be good for England team as well, young players playing competitively. Too many people thinking change is bad here.

May 8, 2011
PL2 3DQ":37js3u55 said:
HC Green":37js3u55 said:
SwimWithTheTide":37js3u55 said:

There has been an awful lot of the use of the term replace on social media chat. Perhaps another urban myth that when repeated enough times becomes 'fact'.

My understanding of the proposal for a fifth league, involved reducing all current leagues to 20 teams and having the top 8 from the conference join.

Again Chairman won't vote for it as too many teams will see the likelihood of being perceived to have been relegated, especially Championship sides chasing the dream and would more likely hasten the creation of a Premier 2 division.

But if anyone has a link from the EFL proposing B teams then I will stand corrected.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Northernlightgreen":1q9gt04y said:
I quite like the idea of B teams in the league. Time for change, too much old school stuff, lets get some excitement and more of the PL money into the EFL competitions. Be good for England team as well, young players playing competitively. Too many people thinking change is bad here.

Are you fishing here?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
HC Green":2m0m8x20 said:
PL2 3DQ":2m0m8x20 said:
HC Green":2m0m8x20 said:
SwimWithTheTide":2m0m8x20 said:

My understanding of the proposal for a fifth year, involved reducing all current leagues to 20 teams and having the top 8 from the conference join.

Again Chairman won't vote for it as too many teams will see the likelihood of being perceived to have been relegated, especially Championship sides chasing the dream and would more likely hasten the creation of a Premier 2 division.

But if anyone has a link from the EFL proposing B teams then I will stand corrected.

It's been mentioned several times but the chairmen of lower league or financially struggling EFL clubs will have their resolve tested if the PL dangles £1 million a season in front of them to accept B teams into the EFL.