Alex Fletcher | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Fletcher

Nov 2, 2004
Thats your opinion,not mine.I think Sokolik is a hopeless defender but not a bad footballer.Songoo is a poor footballer but a good defender.I would much rather have a good defender playing centre half.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I agree with Nobby. Sokolik is the better footballer AND defender.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
ealinggreen":3ctd6pbc said:
Thats your opinion,not mine.I think Sokolik is a hopeless defender but not a bad footballer.Songoo is a poor footballer but a good defender.I would much rather have a good defender playing centre half.

Hopeless defender? I think that's a very harsh assessment of the six months he's been with us!

Nov 2, 2004
No he is really poor,constantly letting high clearances bounce which is a cardinal sin.He gets bullied of the ball and loses his man a lot.He is everything a lower league defender should not be.Mind you he looks good and is a decent passer of the ball.I suppose Adams will decide,but I think Sokolik will hardly play at all.Just my opinion.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
ealinggreen":21e3jzdt said:
No he is really poor,constantly letting high clearances bounce which is a cardinal sin.He gets bullied of the ball and loses his man a lot.He is everything a lower league defender should not be.Mind you he looks good and is a decent passer of the ball.I suppose Adams will decide,but I think Sokolik will hardly play at all.Just my opinion.

He was part of the defence that from January onwards got us promotion. That's a harsh assessment of Sokolik in my opinion .

Jul 6, 2011
Nobby":26q0pfng said:
ealinggreen":26q0pfng said:

Hopeless defender? I think that's a very harsh assessment of the six months he's been with us!

Struggled against chelsea u-21s (my friend said) and sokolik looked comfortable. It doesnt matter how long you are with a club, it's how you perform that matters and the consistency, where he falls down.

Aug 5, 2016
Frank_Butcher":2l3bs23h said:
I just hope that this doesn't turn into another Harvey or Rooney campaign by fans.

Let the manager manage the situation.

Well said.

Nothing ever seems to stop Argyle fans from having a strong opinion on a young player they see play a fraction of the time that the management team does.

Adams knew enough about Fletcher to start him v Chelsea U21s. Adams knew enough about Sangster to play him all pre season, usually surrounded by professionals. Adams is prepared to give youth a chance and look at how they get on.

This is different to blindly chucking a player into first team action regardless of judgement, expectations, fan reactions and consequences, particularly regarding the league table.

The clamour for Rooney to get game time hit fever pitch after his two goals v Hartlepool. But the reality was he wasn't as good as Jervis, Goodwillie, Garita, Spencer, Taylor or Blissett. Not physical as some, not as fast as others, almost ineffectual in a hold up role. We'd have had to change formation to get a partner for Rooney, with knock on effects for what to do with Songo'o, Fox, Carey, Tanner and how to slot them into a 4-4-2 in different positions with added responsibilities. When holding on to a one goal margin, getting a young player on seemed to be more of a priority to some than guaranteeing the 3 points.

Now we have a new local hero who has scored a few goals, relax, draw a breath and rest assured the manager has seen the lad play in umpteen matches before. Has seen him in training all summer if not longer. Has a desk drawer full of reports and recommendations on his progress from the academy management. Has opinions on his strengths and weaknesses, areas to work on and develop, and a vision for where he could be as a footballer.

Fans deciding he's good enough and should be starting will do him no favours.

As has been said, let DA manage the situation and trust in his judgement. He's managed for nearly ten years, been employed in professional football since 1992. You'd like to think he's learned a few things about the game in that time.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Knibbsworth":weg9kirk said:
Frank_Butcher":weg9kirk said:
I just hope that this doesn't turn into another Harvey or Rooney campaign by fans.

Well said.

Nothing ever seems to stop Argyle fans from having a strong opinion on a young player they see play a fraction of the time that the management team does.

Adams knew enough about Fletcher to start him v Chelsea U21s. Adams knew enough about Sangster to play him all pre season, usually surrounded by professionals. Adams is prepared to give youth a chance and look at how they get on.

This is different to blindly chucking a player into first team action regardless of judgement, expectations, fan reactions and consequences, particularly regarding the league table.

The clamour for Rooney to get game time hit fever pitch after his two goals v Hartlepool. But the reality was he wasn't as good as Jervis, Goodwillie, Garita, Spencer, Taylor or Blissett. Not physical as some, not as fast as others, almost ineffectual in a hold up role. We'd have had to change formation to get a partner for Rooney, with knock on effects for what to do with Songo'o, Fox, Carey, Tanner and how to slot them into a 4-4-2 in different positions with added responsibilities. When holding on to a one goal margin, getting a young player on seemed to be more of a priority to some than guaranteeing the 3 points.

Now we have a new local hero who has scored a few goals, relax, draw a breath and rest assured the manager has seen the lad play in umpteen matches before. Has seen him in training all summer if not longer. Has a desk drawer full of reports and recommendations on his progress from the academy management. Has opinions on his strengths and weaknesses, areas to work on and develop, and a vision for where he could be as a footballer.

As has been said, let DA manage the situation and trust in his judgement. He's managed for nearly ten years, been employed in professional football since 1992. You'd like to think he's learned a few things about the game in that time.

And he's darned lucky to have you as his Agent, Knibbsy!! :lol: :scarf:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Many of us feel that we need a 'fox in the box' and I think that Fletcher is just as likely as any other 18 year old to be that 'fox'. I accept that it doesn't matter what 'many of us' think as we have to respect the opinion of our manager but this is a discussion forum and we are all entitled to our opinions.

I have listened attentively to Alex Fletcher's interview on iFollow and he was very tactful about respecting what the manager decides is the best for his development. However, I got the distinct impression that he would prefer to remain training with the Argyle first team squad with the possibility of an occasional opportunity to demonstrate his talents in League 1, or in the reserves, in an attempt to convince the manager that he is worth persevering with this season.

Jul 6, 2011
Knibbsworth":p5rpw91m said:
Frank_Butcher":p5rpw91m said:

Well said.

I'm sorry, but I've never read such bollix in all my life. Garita, tanner...??
'What to do with Songòo?' How about put him in the reserves!
Rooney had great potential, but once again DA refused to change his format to accomodate him. I think the same will happen to Fletcher and he'll may well be gone within a year or two.

Aug 5, 2016
Maybe the real 'bollix' is you want to put players who won promotion for Argyle "into the reserves" in order to start the likes of Louis Rooney who is a non-league standard player. Same as Tyler Harvey was, same as Luke Young was. The fact no other football league club will offer these lads a contract after numerous trials up and down the country ought to bring you to your senses about that.

This is why some get paid to manage football clubs and others simulate it as a hobby on their laptops.

I watched Hartlepool's last game of the season, they had a young lad called Devante Rodney who was Rooney's age and looked a far sharper player. Rooney finished the season not even getting off the bench for a team that went down into non-league. He didn't score in 7 appearances. Is Adams to blame for that too?