Alex Fletcher | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Fletcher

Aug 3, 2017
I always like to see youth given a chance, moreso in the cup's than the league for obvious reasons. DA has done well in his management of the club and we have to respect his decisions about what is best for the team.

However, the entire club has been at fault (largely due to finances because of our administrative period) for not having a player pathway for developing the youth. The jump from SWPL to L2 is massive, let alone L1. I am hopeful, that if the club manage our participation in the central league well; the player pathway of developing youth prospects will start to yeild some fruit.

But if I was a youth prospect at Argyle right now, I'd be clamouring for additional training sessions. Brewster and Wotton would be sick of me because the only way you can be tested is through a baptism of fire (at present).

Sep 18, 2010
Let's put Fletchers performance into perspective shall we?

He's a first year pro. He was playing against players one or two years younger than himself. Albeit Chelsea youngsters.

If a couple of years ago, if playing for Argyle under 16s against Chelsea under 14s, would he have been expected to bag a couple of goals? I think he would.

Massive, massive step up to League 1 for him. I say nurture him, get him out on loan - but only to the right club and at the right level, and see how he gets on.

There are dozens of Alex Fletchers at other clubs of his age, so let's not get carried away yet, hey.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Superguy":3ke1pqbw said:

He's a first year pro. He was playing against players one or two years younger than himself. Albeit Chelsea youngsters.

If a couple of years ago, if playing for Argyle under 16s against Chelsea under 14s, would he have been expected to bag a couple of goals? I think he would.

Massive, massive step up to League 1 for him. I say nurture him, get him out on loan - but only to the right club and at the right level, and see how he gets on.

There are dozens of Alex Fletchers at other clubs of his age, so let's not get carried away yet, hey.
Not many strikers will score two goals against Chelsea's U23's this season. (The squad we played was U21's, but that is Chelsea's U23 squad for this season).

A lot of people are saying we should go for a youngster on loan from a Premier League club. Most of them are going to struggle when they come up against Chelsea's U23's so why can't we just give Fletcher a chance.

Sep 18, 2010
Argy1e":3jv19ieu said:
Superguy":3jv19ieu said:

Not many strikers will score two goals against Chelsea's U23's this season. (The squad we played was U21's, but that is Chelsea's U23 squad for this season).

A lot of people are saying we should go for a youngster on loan from a Premier League club. Most of them are going to struggle when they come up against Chelsea's U23's so why can't we just give Fletcher a chance.
Most of the Chelsea team were 17. Ethan Ampadu is 16. Don't get misled by the u23 tag.

Oh and 18 year old Premier League players are a different level, trust me. That's why they are at Prem clubs.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Superguy":11hjpujl said:
Argy1e":11hjpujl said:
Superguy":11hjpujl said:

Most of the Chelsea team were 17. Ethan Ampadu is 16. Don't get misled by the u23 tag.

Oh and 18 year old Premier League players are a different level, trust me. That's why they are at Prem clubs.
I'm fully aware of the age of the players from the Chelsea squad, but that is their U23 team for the season and the side that will play in Premier League 2 for them this season. Chelsea probably won't win it, but they'll be right up at the top of Premier League 2 as they always are. I've seen plenty of Premier League U23 teams over the last couple of seasons as I regularly attend Premier League 2, Premier League Cup and Premier League International Cup fixtures. Yes most of the players are a level above most of the players who would come through at a lower league club, but not every player is. I've not seen Fletcher play, I don't know how good he is, but as I said, I'd be surprised if many Premier League 2 players score a brace against Chelsea this season. They played Man City before us and drew 0-0.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Superguy":k4heoft7 said:
Argy1e":k4heoft7 said:
Superguy":k4heoft7 said:

Nick Chadwick was at a Premier League club.

Don't let yourself get blinded by the hype.

Sep 6, 2006
Argy1e":3juwjjju said:
Superguy":3juwjjju said:
Argy1e":3juwjjju said:
Superguy":3juwjjju said:

I'm fully aware of the age of the players from the Chelsea squad, but that is their U23 team for the season and the side that will play in Premier League 2 for them this season. Chelsea probably won't win it, but they'll be right up at the top of Premier League 2 as they always are. I've seen plenty of Premier League U23 teams over the last couple of seasons as I regularly attend Premier League 2, Premier League Cup and Premier League International Cup fixtures. Yes most of the players are a level above most of the players who would come through at a lower league club, but not every player is. I've not seen Fletcher play, I don't know how good he is, but as I said, I'd be surprised if many Premier League 2 players score a brace against Chelsea this season. They played Man City before us and drew 0-0.

They may be technically very good but its a different world from the hurly burly of the physical adult League 1.