Alex Fletcher | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Fletcher

Sep 18, 2010
briangreen":3tugh6a8 said:
Superguy":3tugh6a8 said:
Phil Sloggett":3tugh6a8 said:
Whilst my views on the game last night have been made clear, well done Alex Fletcher for bagging yourself a couple of goals.

Rather than loan him out, it would be great to see him given a spot on the bench and 30 minutes here or there (or longer if the game permits).

I might be getting ahead of myself there, as I didn't see him play, could he contribute to our league campaign?

I know they talk about players getting regular football and this helping their development, but when was the last time this worked for us?

A lot of people work very hard to support young players at this club. I would love to see them getting a proper chance.

Maybe hold onto him until January at least, let him spend some time with the first time?

Of course if we sign a decent striker or two (and goodness knows we need at least one) this changes very quickly.

I just get frustrated seeing other clubs sell their players for 7 figure sums. Why can't that be us?
Because our Academy doesn't produce million pound players. Simple as!

Ben Tozer
Not sure we got over a million for him. Think Swindon and David Byrne benefited.

What has Kevin Hodges produced for us? Cost v Benefit!!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Superguy":rvp78gg3 said:
briangreen":rvp78gg3 said:
Superguy":rvp78gg3 said:
Phil Sloggett":rvp78gg3 said:
Whilst my views on the game last night have been made clear, well done Alex Fletcher for bagging yourself a couple of goals.

Rather than loan him out, it would be great to see him given a spot on the bench and 30 minutes here or there (or longer if the game permits).

I might be getting ahead of myself there, as I didn't see him play, could he contribute to our league campaign?

I know they talk about players getting regular football and this helping their development, but when was the last time this worked for us?

A lot of people work very hard to support young players at this club. I would love to see them getting a proper chance.

Maybe hold onto him until January at least, let him spend some time with the first time?

Of course if we sign a decent striker or two (and goodness knows we need at least one) this changes very quickly.

I just get frustrated seeing other clubs sell their players for 7 figure sums. Why can't that be us?
Because our Academy doesn't produce million pound players. Simple as!

Ben Tozer
Not sure we got over a million for him. Think Swindon and David Byrne benefited.

What has Kevin Hodges produced for us? Cost v Benefit!!
Someone may have paid a million plus for Tozer but unfortunately I don't think he ever developed into a million pound player. We probably missed him when the plump lad was at left back (Williams?) but not too often thereafter.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that one point about Fletcher's contribution last night that has not been mentioned is that he was still fit and performing in the last few minutes of normal time. He also had the confidence to take the second penalty in the shootout.

This means more than scoring early and not lasting the pace.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Ultimately DA sees the lad in training every day, he also understands football management is very fickle, so if he thinks for one moment Fletcher will improve us he will get picked.
Its very very different playing against teenagers to suddenly come up against Bradley and Edwards for example, i dont know how or even if they get paired up in training, but how he handles the physical stuff will determine how quickly he climbs the ladder.
With Harvey i felt he always struggled with that side of the game, with Joe Mason his movement was so good and his positioning so clever that he was able to cope, i always remember the big Sheff Utd centre half (Morgan) getting an absolute run around against Mason (we lost 4-3) he couldn't get close enough to him to intimidate and impose himself. The system Adams plays our No 9 whoever may be needs to be able to handle themselves and hold the ball up, if the young lad can do it, he will get game time with us, if he cant, he will be asked to learn about the game on loan somewhere else.

Oct 14, 2015
Voice_of_Reason":2x2xbhwy said:
Ultimately DA sees the lad in training every day, he also understands football management is very fickle, so if he thinks for one moment Fletcher will improve us he will get picked.
Its very very different playing against teenagers to suddenly come up against Bradley and Edwards for example, i dont know how or even if they get paired up in training, but how he handles the physical stuff will determine how quickly he climbs the ladder.
With Harvey i felt he always struggled with that side of the game, with Joe Mason his movement was so good and his positioning so clever that he was able to cope, i always remember the big Sheff Utd centre half (Morgan) getting an absolute run around against Mason (we lost 4-3) he couldn't get close enough to him to intimidate and impose himself. The system Adams plays our No 9 whoever may be needs to be able to handle themselves and hold the ball up, if the young lad can do it, he will get game time with us, if he cant, he will be asked to learn about the game on loan somewhere else.

Some very good points made here...

R

rdr123

Basically Adams is a good enough manager to be able to judge the quality and suitability of player. So if he thinks he's good enough for the position then he'll give him a chance.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Under Adams your main striker needs to be a very physical striker Brunt/Taylor/Reid,holding the ball up and bringing others into play first and foremost especially the central midfielders. Not Fletcher's game as he at best is a second striker,so would need someone to play off and would mean two strikers up front. This is not Adam's style so will be interesting to see where Fletcher fits in.

Mar 23, 2008
briangreen":32256uvp said:
Quintrell_Green":32256uvp said:
I did not see the lad last night, but have seen him in pre-season friendlies. I have previously felt there is promise in him. He is a well balanced runner at his height, but is currently a tad lightweight. On a comparative basis, remember Louis Rooney scored 2 good goals against a Hartlepool side made up of mature hoary professionals, but see where that got him.
There is water to go under the bridge yet for young Fletcher.

Rooney wasn't given another chance, so lets forget him as an example. I think Fletcher should be kept here and used from the bench, and let's see if blisset can actually do the job as lone striker, definitely lacking in some areas on saturday.
People talk about bulk, thing is some strikers (eg charlie nicholas) were built like whippets and still managed to score a ton of goals and I always remember folk commenting on the size of Isaac Vassell, a player who's currently valued at over a million and playing in a much tougher league.
I'm sure derek adams is very capable of changing his format when the need arises.
Agree with that, he will be confident after last night, we are short of strikers, why not have him on the bench? He wouldn't be thrown into a blood and thunder/tightly poised game but if we were behind and need a goal or winning by two goals why not blood him just off Blissett.

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
Unfortunatley with Adams system of only playing with one up front Fletch will be behind Blissett Jervis and any new signings so will have no chance of starting games , its a pity because at his age he needs regular starts at a good level to improve so sadly will probably go the same way as a lot of other young players such as Leonard Mccrory Vassell and others whom have gone on to have good careers at otherclubs

Feb 8, 2005
Fletcher has announced himself on the Home Park pitch. Brilliant.

But he is nowhere near what we need as a centre forward.

What is the point of playing him for 10-20 games, only for him to be pushed and pulled around by the opposition ceaselessly. He has to learn how to handle himself in a man's game, not with tippy tappy football that the youngsters play.

Loan him out to get that experience of being able to handle himself and he just MAY develop to be what we are looking for in a couple or three years time, a la Isaac Vassell!