Alex Fletcher | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Fletcher

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I just hope that this doesn't turn into another Harvey or Rooney campaign by fans.

Let the manager manage the situation.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I did not see the lad last night, but have seen him in pre-season friendlies. I have previously felt there is promise in him. He is a well balanced runner at his height, but is currently a tad lightweight. On a comparative basis, remember Louis Rooney scored 2 good goals against a Hartlepool side made up of mature hoary professionals, but see where that got him.
There is water to go under the bridge yet for young Fletcher.

Jul 6, 2011
Quintrell_Green":cwazdq33 said:
I did not see the lad last night, but have seen him in pre-season friendlies. I have previously felt there is promise in him. He is a well balanced runner at his height, but is currently a tad lightweight. On a comparative basis, remember Louis Rooney scored 2 good goals against a Hartlepool side made up of mature hoary professionals, but see where that got him.
There is water to go under the bridge yet for young Fletcher.

Rooney wasn't given another chance, so lets forget him as an example. I think Fletcher should be kept here and used from the bench, and let's see if blisset can actually do the job as lone striker, definitely lacking in some areas on saturday.
People talk about bulk, thing is some strikers (eg charlie nicholas) were built like whippets and still managed to score a ton of goals and I always remember folk commenting on the size of Isaac Vassell, a player who's currently valued at over a million and playing in a much tougher league.
I'm sure derek adams is very capable of changing his format when the need arises.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Whilst my views on the game last night have been made clear, well done Alex Fletcher for bagging yourself a couple of goals.

Rather than loan him out, it would be great to see him given a spot on the bench and 30 minutes here or there (or longer if the game permits).

I might be getting ahead of myself there, as I didn't see him play, could he contribute to our league campaign?

I know they talk about players getting regular football and this helping their development, but when was the last time this worked for us?

A lot of people work very hard to support young players at this club. I would love to see them getting a proper chance.

Maybe hold onto him until January at least, let him spend some time with the first time?

Of course if we sign a decent striker or two (and goodness knows we need at least one) this changes very quickly.

I just get frustrated seeing other clubs sell their players for 7 figure sums. Why can't that be us?

Sep 18, 2010
Phil Sloggett":3hxyg6ho said:
Whilst my views on the game last night have been made clear, well done Alex Fletcher for bagging yourself a couple of goals.

Rather than loan him out, it would be great to see him given a spot on the bench and 30 minutes here or there (or longer if the game permits).

I might be getting ahead of myself there, as I didn't see him play, could he contribute to our league campaign?

I know they talk about players getting regular football and this helping their development, but when was the last time this worked for us?

A lot of people work very hard to support young players at this club. I would love to see them getting a proper chance.

Maybe hold onto him until January at least, let him spend some time with the first time?

Of course if we sign a decent striker or two (and goodness knows we need at least one) this changes very quickly.

I just get frustrated seeing other clubs sell their players for 7 figure sums. Why can't that be us?
Because our Academy doesn't produce million pound players. Simple as!

Apr 1, 2009
Frank_Butcher":2oq778q8 said:
I just hope that this doesn't turn into another Harvey or Rooney campaign by fans.

Agreed.

I felt the Harvey "campaign" did nothing at all for the player, and in the end was possibly a hindrance.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
xmastree":2hj9esn9 said:
Frank_Butcher":2hj9esn9 said:

Agreed.

I felt the Harvey "campaign" did nothing at all for the player, and in the end was possibly a hindrance.

To be honest, I think Sheridan ruined Harvey by trying to make him a midfielder. He was a good striker and should've stayed that way.

Personally of all the youth crop (Purrington excluded), I thought Lecointe was the one who had the best shot of becoming a decent player. Real shame about the injuries.

Oct 24, 2013
DA was on a hiding to nothing picking him. If he didn't play well, people would say he wasn't good enough, whereas having bagged a couple of goals now he is the second coming.

Sep 28, 2003
London
lyndhurst green":1llqtgvb said:
DA was on a hiding to nothing picking him. If he didn't play well, people would say he wasn't good enough, whereas having bagged a couple of goals now he is the second coming.

Don't be so ridiculous, no one is saying anything other than they'd like to see him getting some minutes in the first team now and again. Is that really such a ridiculous thing to hope for?

Apr 1, 2009
Nobby":28r41di0 said:
xmastree":28r41di0 said:
Frank_Butcher":28r41di0 said:

Agreed.

To be honest, I think Sheridan ruined Harvey by trying to make him a midfielder. He was a good striker and should've stayed that way.

/quote]

I know others feel the same, but not sure I agree. There's no doubt Harvey "had something", and I suspect Sheridan, feeling that TH struggled physically against big defenders, attempted to use that "something" in a more withdrawn role. It didn't work, possibly in part because allegedly Harvey was unconvinced himself. I don't understand how a short term experiment "ruined" Harvey as a striker. Loads of players are tried in different positions, with many returning to their previous roles without being ruined. Sheridan had plenty of failings, but sometimes that makes him an easy scapegoat for anything that went wrong during that era.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Nobby":2wfj85wk said:
xmastree":2wfj85wk said:
Frank_Butcher":2wfj85wk said:

Agreed.

Personally of all the youth crop (Purrington excluded), I thought Lecointe was the one who had the best shot of becoming a decent player. Real shame about the injuries.

The same went for Sturrock trying to make Yetton a midfielder, the lad scored 90 goals the following season for Truro.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
xmastree":3q0ex06d said:
Nobby":3q0ex06d said:
xmastree":3q0ex06d said:
Frank_Butcher":3q0ex06d said:

Agreed.

/quote]

I know others feel the same, but not sure I agree. There's no doubt Harvey "had something", and I suspect Sheridan, feeling that TH struggled physically against big defenders, attempted to use that "something" in a more withdrawn role. It didn't work, possibly in part because allegedly Harvey was unconvinced himself. I don't understand how a short term experiment "ruined" Harvey as a striker. Loads of players are tried in different positions, with many returning to their previous roles without being ruined. Sheridan had plenty of failings, but sometimes that makes him an easy scapegoat for anything that went wrong during that era.

I'm not saying it ruined him as a striker, but ruined his chances of having a better career with us. He was dropped into a #10 role, which we didn't really have at the time. He was then competing with the likes of Hourihane, Bobby Reid, Carey... which he didn't stand a chance against and really limited his minutes.

I liked Sheridan, think he did a very good job here and we owe him a lot. But I think his transition of Harvey was a big part of the reason Harvey fell down the pecking order here.

Jul 6, 2011
Superguy":30iyl5sp said:
Phil Sloggett":30iyl5sp said:

Ben Tozer

Oct 24, 2013
Andy Holland":37o4ckpt said:
lyndhurst green":37o4ckpt said:

Don't be so ridiculous, no one is saying anything other than they'd like to see him getting some minutes in the first team now and again. Is that really such a ridiculous thing to hope for?

He scored twice against Chelsea U21's. I'm delighted for him, but on this thread people are suggesting that he is the absolute answer to our striker shortage whilst others are saying it means little due to the opposition. If he hadn't scored, there will have been people saying 'he couldn't even score against Chelsea's 16 year olds'.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Superguy":pvedmnod said:
Phil Sloggett":pvedmnod said:

How much would you value the following players at the moment?

Dan Gosling
Joe Mason
Issac Vassell
Sean Morrison
Ryan Leonard