Your Top 5 TV Shows/Series | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Top 5 TV Shows/Series

smudja

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Captain Scarlet
Young Ones
Red dwarf.. up to series 5
Game of Thrones
Obi wan

Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
So very very difficult to narrow these down. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably throw something else in there!

Stranger Things
South Park
Taskmaster
What we do in the Shadows

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
The Prisoner
Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Blackadder
Dad’s Army
Life On Mars

As with the movie list, ask me again in a couple of months and the list will be different, but not all of it.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
So very very difficult to narrow these down. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably throw something else in there!

Stranger Things
South Park
Taskmaster
What we do in the Shadows
Oh, Taskmaster. Brilliant, just brilliant.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I always find picking favourites like this an impossible task because, of course, it all depends on what criteria you use to define ‘best’, ‘top’ or ‘favourite’ and what kind of mood you are in at the time. So to join in with this thread I’m going to list below a single programme/series that immediately comes to mind when I look back to each decade of my life so far:

0-10: Camberwick Green (especially Jonathan Bell, the go-ahead farmer; I still have the songbook and can sing most of the characters’ songs)

11-20: Secret Army (especially the credit sequence/music and Natalie…; although I have to say that a specific incident in an episode of the BBC adaption of Emile Zola’s book ‘Therese Raquin’ sticks in my mind and was much talked about in school the next day from when I was about 14 or 15…[such innocence])

21-30: Inspector Morse (although having watched all of the Morse, Lewis and Endeavour episodes in the last few years the latter two series are, in most respects, a lot ‘better’)

31-40: Playdays (a strong representative of the programmes we used to watch with our kids when they were little; I made VHS compilation tapes mixing up episodes of various kids TV programmes like Playdays, Fireman Sam [the originals not the horrible computer animated ones], Topsy and Tim etc.)

41-50: The Killing (just so good; see also The Bridge)

51-…: Game of Thrones (we were late to this and I can’t think of another series that took over our TV watching quite as much and in such epic fashion)

And yes, I know I have cheated and listed 6 which is technically cheating, but it’s not my fault I’ve almost made it to my 60s!

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Oh Gawd, I don't know if I could list a top five. But for today, I'll say:

Adventures/Return/Case-Book/Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (the Jeremy Brett ones. The definitive Sherlock IMHO)
Battlestar Galactica (the rebooted series, not the original)
Drop the Dead Donkey
The West Wing
The Thick of It

Reactions: American Pilgrim

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Top 5 is difficult, but I have just started rewatching The Wire. Without doubt one of the best TV series of all time.

Reactions: Mat and Biggs
Aug 23, 2009
Southway
Deadwood
Better call Saul
Breaking bad
Mr Inbetween
Justified

Ted lasso is well worth a look if you haven’t seen it , when you describe it to someone it sounds rubbish but it just works. Highly recommended.

The Pasty Kid

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
Can only say favourites, as best implies seeing most, and that the time in which you saw it is as important as the content:

NYPD Blue
Frasier
The West Wing
TNG

The last slot is a pcik 'em, just too many - Only Fools, The Inbetweeners, Black Adder, The Sopranos, The Wire, Cheers, Drop the Dead Donkey, Between The Lines - that's just a handful

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
About as cliche as you can get, but there you go...

The Office
Only Fools and Horses
The Wire
The Sopranos
The Detectorists

Honorary mentions for Succession, Slow Horses and Severance in recent years.

Edit... the Lewis mentions has made me think of Morse, that would be right up there.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
About as cliche as you can get, but there you go...

The Office
Only Fools and Horses
The Wire
The Sopranos
The Detectorists

Honorary mentions for Succession, Slow Horses and Severance in recent years.

Edit... the Lewis mentions has made me think of Morse, that would be right up there.
Never heard of the last one in your list, but going by your other choices, I'm gonna check it out.

Breaking Bad is right up there. As is Battlestar Gallactica btw.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Never heard of the last one in your list, but going by your other choices, I'm gonna check it out.

Ah Detectorists is an absolute masterpiece, I can't recommend highly enough. Should still be on iPlayer. Gentle, moving, funny, amazing music and scenery, got the lot.

Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones strike comedic gold in this critically adored series about two oddballs scouring for treasure and the meaning of life in the English countryside