Women's Euros | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Women's Euros

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I was quite shocked to hear that, in 1966 when I was enjoying our win, women/girls were actually banned from playing organised football? That was kept quite quiet wasn't it? I was 15 so probably never even thought to ask the question. Shocking!

My Granddaughter is a good player and has dual Anglo/German nationality. I hope last night helps her to choose wisely!! ;)

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
There's a lot of people saying that the womens game is not of the same standard as the mens...

Well, it has had 134 years less investment and backing than the men's game. Had it had the same levels, then there would be no gap at all in the levels of skill.

So, men really should just shut up and stop with the comparisons. The standards will go up and they will only accelerate now that the women's game is getting the attention it deserves.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Let's see how many of those 17 million actually turn up to watch their local women's team. Even the Women's Super League only has an average attendance of around 2,000, which means it has to be heavily subsidised by men's clubs just to exist.

So many sad people are using the Euro win as a stick to beat the men's game with, but the inconvenient truth is that it would be financially impossible for our women to be professional footballers without the men's game paying their wages and providing their facilities. Without professionalism, yesterday more than likely would never have happened.

So how many of the vocal social media types will put their money where their mouths are when the league starts again in September?
I think most people are just delighted at a fantastic achievement.

Apr 16, 2016
There's a lot of people saying that the womens game is not of the same standard as the mens...

Well, it has had 134 years less investment and backing than the men's game. Had it had the same levels, then there would be no gap at all in the levels of skill.

So, men really should just shut up and stop with the comparisons. The standards will go up and they will only accelerate now that the women's game is getting the attention it deserves.
Its probably not that simple.
Womens and mens football might always be very different, even in the level and types of skill- just like mens and womens gymnastics. But you can appreciate both equally or have a preference for one.
Not worth anyone falling out about.
Different hormones , different muscles , tendons, flexibility, strength, speed will allow different movements and skills to be better or worse respectively.
My wife has very little time for womens football but loves mens football. I have more respect for the womens game than she does.
So no need for sexism either.

Oct 14, 2015
Comparisons don’t just deal with the standard of football being offered on the pitch. How about the comparisons of the players respect towards the officials, how about the behaviour of fans both before, during and after the game. Was there any crowd trouble at Trafalgar Square today during the players parade? Don’t remember hearing any abuse or vile songs aimed at the referee last night.? Didn’t notice any flares or smoke bombs nor did I witness any pitch invasions.

I’d happily take my grandchildren to a womens game but think twice about taking them to some grounds in the EFL or Premier League.

Reactions: Andy70

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Just watching Watford v Sheff United and there was a late tackle which culminated in a multi-player scuffle.

After watching the women's football for the past 2-3 weeks, it's a little embarrassing that the men can't control their emotions and feel the need to resort to pushing and shoving over minor incidents.

Reactions: Welwyn Pilgrim
Apr 16, 2016
Just watching Watford v Sheff United and there was a late tackle which culminated in a multi-player scuffle.

After watching the women's football for the past 2-3 weeks, it's a little embarrassing that the men can't control their emotions and feel the need to resort to pushing and shoving over minor incidents.
Different hormones ! Probably always be like that. Masculinity is ' toxic ' until you need someone to jump in an icy sea to rescue a kid or defend your community from Putin.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Shadowknight
Apr 16, 2016

But I agree - much of the women's game ( and the crowd's mentality ) is a breath of fresh air !

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Different hormones ! Probably always be like that. Masculinity is ' toxic ' until you need someone to jump in an icy sea to rescue a kid or defend your community from Putin.
Sorry what?
Are you saying women wouldn't do incredibly dangerous things to save a child (11th January 2022: Colorado woman saves 2 children from icy pond)?
Are you saying women aren't in the army?
Are you saying no Ukrainian women stayed to fight (women make up 15% of the defence force there)?

Not sure what point you're trying to make, it seems to be that women don't do 'tough stuff' and leave that up to men.
Which is quite obviously utter drivel

Reactions: smudja
Apr 16, 2016
Sorry what?
Are you saying women wouldn't do incredibly dangerous things to save a child (11th January 2022: Colorado woman saves 2 children from icy pond)?
Are you saying women aren't in the army?
Are you saying no Ukrainian women stayed to fight (women make up 15% of the defence force there)?

Not sure what point you're trying to make, it seems to be that women don't do 'tough stuff' and leave that up to men.
Which is quite obviously utter drivel
Not really that intense about it , but yes men and women are different with different strengths and weaknesses.
So the men's and womens game will always likely have differences, not least the aggression levels due to different hormones in each.
And of course - yes - women CAN jump in seas and men CAN do flower arranging.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Not really that intense about it , but yes men and women are different with different strengths and weaknesses.
So the men's and womens game will always likely have differences, not least the aggression levels due to different hormones in each.
And of course - yes - women CAN jump in seas and men CAN do flower arranging.
"And of course - yes - women CAN jump in seas and men CAN do flower arranging."

So why did you say masculinity is toxic until you need someone to jump in an icy sea to save a child? The implication being that if a child was in an icy sea drowning only a masculine mans man action hero would be able to jump in🤔🤔🤔

Keep em coming

Apr 16, 2016
Chill out mate. Just 3.5 % of American firefighters are women. Not many women work on trawlers or go bricklaying.
It's about football and men are more aggressive with more adrenalin which has a good and a bad side, both in football and life in general.