Women's Euros | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Women's Euros

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
If you could have taken it in the tongue-in cheek , mildly mischievious and fairly lighthearted way it was given ( and in the context of what else I said about the women's game you should have known it wasn't some anti women thing) you could have saved yourself a lot of time.
But yes there is a lot of criticism of men and 'toxic masculinity' claims by the woker elements of society and men and the men's game ( on this thread so not off topic as you claim) had just been criticised so I contributed something to the discussion.
In case your own figures confuse you , the vast majority who die in wars are men. The vast majority who risk their lives to save people from sea and fire are men. Admiring some positives of the male make up ( and the men's game) doesn't make one a sexist or misogynist or loather of the women's game.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
My original point was just to say that I found it a little embarrassing that the male players' instant reaction in the game last night was to respond with pushing and shoving and a lot of pointless posturing. Should we really just put that down to testosterone and condone it by saying it's all part of the game, or should the FA and other governing bodies actually crack down on it?

In the same game (Watford v Sheff Utd), it was back to the usual time wasting, gamesmanship, and aggressive reactions and dissent towards officials. Thoroughly dull and depressing. The football wasn't all that great either.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
My original point was just to say that I found it a little embarrassing that the male players' instant reaction in the game last night was to respond with pushing and shoving and a lot of pointless posturing. Should we really just put that down to testosterone and condone it by saying it's all part of the game, or should the FA and other governing bodies actually crack down on it?

In the same game (Watford v Sheff Utd), it was back to the usual time wasting, gamesmanship, and aggressive reactions and dissent towards officials. Thoroughly dull and depressing. The football wasn't all that great either.
The standard of football would have been a million times better than any womens match. People comparing them like you seem to be trying sets the womens game back. It is a completely different game. Football did ‘not come home’ on Sunday, that’s a mens football thing and the sooner people stop trying to compare the two the better it will be for the womens game.

Ill also add to your original point, wasn’t one of the England players caught on camera shouting f**k off you f*****g pr**k at one of the Germans?

Reactions: greenpig27
Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Off the back of the fantastic success of the lionesses, I'd be fascinated to see how many fans would attend if Argyle put a Women's fixture at Home Park.

(Whether you like it or not, misogynists) this success will undoubtedly create a boom of interest / participation in women's football. Just like there was with cricket when England's men won the 2005 Ashes, and Rugby when the men won the 2003 world cup. I hope that boom will sustain into a permanent increase in popularity moving forward, but we'll see on that one.

I appreciate the logistical demands of this, but if Argyle found a suitable Sunday, or maybe even a Saturday lunchtime before a men's fixture (although the groundstaff may not thank me for that suggestion!), and really pushed the advertising of it, made it accessible etc, I'd love to think that we'd get a couple of thousand through the gates - maybe even more. Again, who knows if it will sustain, but if this is sadly just the crest of a wave, Argyle should make sure that they ride it.

A home park experience might inspire some more young girls (and boys) to participate in football, which would be fantastic for schools, local clubs, everyone really. Nothing against Manadon, but as others have said, its suitability for fans to attend isn't ideal.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Calling men who don’t like watching womens football misogynists is also something that won’t help the womens game. 🙄

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Off the back of the fantastic success of the lionesses, I'd be fascinated to see how many fans would attend if Argyle put a Women's fixture at Home Park.

(Whether you like it or not, misogynists) this success will undoubtedly create a boom of interest / participation in women's football. Just like there was with cricket when England's men won the 2005 Ashes, and Rugby when the men won the 2003 world cup. I hope that boom will sustain into a permanent increase in popularity moving forward, but we'll see on that one.

I appreciate the logistical demands of this, but if Argyle found a suitable Sunday, or maybe even a Saturday lunchtime before a men's fixture (although the groundstaff may not thank me for that suggestion!), and really pushed the advertising of it, made it accessible etc, I'd love to think that we'd get a couple of thousand through the gates - maybe even more. Again, who knows if it will sustain, but if this is sadly just the crest of a wave, Argyle should make sure that they ride it.

A home park experience might inspire some more young girls (and boys) to participate in football, which would be fantastic for schools, local clubs, everyone really. Nothing against Manadon, but as others have said, its suitability for fans to attend isn't ideal.
Every Argyle women's match should be played at HP imo, and the same goes for all the other clubs in terms of playing at the proper grounds. It's pretty embarrassing for the WSL where some of those games are played and looks terrible on TV too (the opposite of inspirational in some ways!). Perhaps Ian Wright is right, let the Premier League take over?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Every Argyle women's match should be played at HP imo, and the same goes for all the other clubs in terms of playing at the proper grounds. It's pretty embarrassing for the WSL where some of those games are played and looks terrible on TV too (the opposite of inspirational in some ways!). Perhaps Ian Wright is right, let the Premier League take over?
Playing in empty stadiums won’t do them any good. That would look far worse on tv.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
The standard of football would have been a million times better than any womens match. People comparing them like you seem to be trying sets the womens game back. It is a completely different game. Football did ‘not come home’ on Sunday, that’s a mens football thing and the sooner people stop trying to compare the two the better it will be for the womens game.

Ill also add to your original point, wasn’t one of the England players caught on camera shouting f**k off you f*****g pr**k at one of the Germans?
A million times better? Umm, okay then. It's always good when statistics are used to support points. In my opinion (an opinion, you see), the quality of quite a few of the Euro games was better and more enjoyable than the Watford v Sheff Utd game. I'm sorry if that is so unpalatable to you as I understand it's difficult to fathom.

Yes, that player did swear at her opponent, but did it escalate into an all out brawl? It did not. I don't recall there be any brawls in the whole tournament, but I may be wrong.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
A million times better? Umm, okay then. It's always good when statistics are used to support points. In my opinion (an opinion, you see), the quality of quite a few of the Euro games was better and more enjoyable than the Watford v Sheff Utd game. I'm sorry if that is so unpalatable to you as I understand it's difficult to fathom.

Yes, that player did swear at her opponent, but did it escalate into an all out brawl? It did not. I don't recall there be any brawls in the whole tournament, but I may be wrong.
Were there any brawls at the mens Euros?

It’s unpalatable to me as it’s absolute nonsense that the quality of any of the games is better than any professional man’s game. We all know that the World champions were spanked by an U15 boys team (Dallas FC no less) and look up Zaha playing with the Crystal Palace ladies team.

That’s not misogynistic it’s a fact. In many years when WSL is more established the standard will definitely improve, goal keeping is a massive area that will no doubt come on as it’s dreadful at the moment.

Reactions: greenpig27

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Were there any brawls at the mens Euros?

It’s unpalatable to me as it’s absolute nonsense that the quality of any of the games is better than any professional man’s game. We all know that the World champions were spanked by an U15 boys team (Dallas FC no less) and look up Zaha playing with the Crystal Palace ladies team.

That’s not misogynistic it’s a fact. In many years when WSL is more established the standard will definitely improve, goal keeping is a massive area that will no doubt come on as it’s dreadful at the moment.
All I know is that I enjoyed the women's Euros a lot more than many of the men's games I've watched on TV recently. For all the reasons stated above. Watford v Sheff Utd was full of dissent, long gaps in play for 'injuries' and drawn out deliberation over decisions the ref had already made. We had the usual kick the ball away to waste a few seconds and quite a lot of long ball tactics. Twas a snoozefest I tell thee.

And to describe the standard of goal keeping as 'dreadful' suggests you didn't watch a great deal of the tournament. Or, you noticed a couple of errors and formed the basis of your opinion on that.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would agree with Daz that it is the standard of the majority of women goalies that let's the side down.

Saying that I thought the standard in the tournament was very very good, and Earps was incredibly good for England. That save she made off the Swede's knee was fantastic.

I never compare the two games, it's pointless, all I do know is that I enjoyed the women's Euros far more than any man's game for many a year.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
All I know is that I enjoyed the women's Euros a lot more than many of the men's games I've watched on TV recently. For all the reasons stated above. Watford v Sheff Utd was full of dissent, long gaps in play for 'injuries' and drawn out deliberation over decisions the ref had already made. We had the usual kick the ball away to waste a few seconds and quite a lot of long ball tactics. Twas a snoozefest I tell thee.

And to describe the standard of goal keeping as 'dreadful' suggests you didn't watch a great deal of the tournament. Or, you noticed a couple of errors and formed the basis of your opinion on that.
That’s great that you enjoyed it more than mens games, don’t try and tell people it’s better quality then the man’s game though because it isn’t true. I enjoy watching Argyle more than Liverpool. Doesn’t mean it’s better quality.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oh and I would add that the 'misogynist' Daz, like all the Mods, sponsors Scarlett McMahon Jez.

Let's cut out such slurs eh, we booted off an idiot for calling a lot of people racist, so let's not go down that route again eh? You're always a good poster, so pull back on such a label eh? (y)

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
That’s great that you enjoyed it more than mens games, don’t try and tell people it’s better quality then the man’s game though because it isn’t true. I enjoy watching Argyle more than Liverpool. Doesn’t mean it’s better quality.
I'm confused. When did I say the women's game is 'better?' I believe I said that certain games have been more entertaining and the conduct in women's football has been of a higher standard. And I'm not telling anyone anything, I've expressed an opinion.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Oh and I would add that the 'misogynist' Daz, like all the Mods, sponsors Scarlett McMahon Jez.

Let's cut out such slurs eh, we booted off an idiot for calling a lot of people racist, so let's not go down that route again eh? You're always a good poster, so pull back on such a label eh? (y)
IJN I don't believe I accused anyone of being a misogynist. I think that was a different poster. I'm always very respectful on this site.