Why no offers for Royal Navy? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why no offers for Royal Navy?

Aug 5, 2005
A different tack...

I once got given a 'goody bag' at a Harlem Globetrotters game at the Cornwall Coluseum because my dad was in the Navy. The fact that I can still remember it over 30 years later says a lot.

Maybe an incentive for Navy kids may be an option?

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Greenrod":252xst7v said:
earl grey":252xst7v said:
I personally would be flipped right off if discount is offered to service people, you know as a poster said earlier they are relatively highly paid compared to the average wage down here!
What would be next, 50% to anyone who chews their. Fingernails? free tickets to any twit who has got nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. I work my arse off to be able to afford to buy my entrance to my local team why should anyone get a free ride?
Rant over!

A new entry at HMS Raleigh around £13,800 with the average salary of an able seaman at £20,000. These are the sort of people we should be attracting. Not to forget disabled war veterans - or are you calling these people twits, Earl Grey. Shame on you.

These are the sort of people we should be attracting? Well yeah, that's fine, at £13,800 they are able to pay full price for a ticket!

Disabled war veterans-am I calling these people twits? No, don't make poo up!
No not fudging shame on me, who the fudge are you to say that?

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
earl grey":2act68ve said:
Greenrod":2act68ve said:
earl grey":2act68ve said:
I personally would be flipped right off if discount is offered to service people, you know as a poster said earlier they are relatively highly paid compared to the average wage down here!
What would be next, 50% to anyone who chews their. Fingernails? free tickets to any twit who has got nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. I work my arse off to be able to afford to buy my entrance to my local team why should anyone get a free ride?
Rant over!

A new entry at HMS Raleigh around £13,800 with the average salary of an able seaman at £20,000. These are the sort of people we should be attracting. Not to forget disabled war veterans - or are you calling these people twits, Earl Grey. Shame on you.

These are the sort of people we should be attracting? Well yeah, that's fine, at £13,800 they are able to pay full price for a ticket!

Disabled war veterans-am I calling these people twits? No, don't make cack up!
No not flipping shame on me, who the flip are you to say that?

Get wise guy, there are many disabled war veterans still serving. I say again take a bow, shame on you.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Greenrod":20y2cwi4 said:
earl grey":20y2cwi4 said:
Greenrod":20y2cwi4 said:
earl grey":20y2cwi4 said:
Rant over!

Disabled war veterans-am I calling these people twits? No, don't make cack up!
No not flipping shame on me, who the flip are you to say that?

Get wise guy, there are many disabled war veterans still serving. I say again take a bow, shame on you.

There are many disabled war veterans still serving? Yes ok, did i say there wasn't? (ps if they are still serving, then they are earning, therefore able to pay!

So on that note should someone who has had a car crash and suffered an injury, but are still fit enough to stack shelves in a supermarket? Does she/he get a discounted ticket?

Real world needed for you me thinks!

Yep that's right, don't deal with the point, stir poo up!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Just to cool down the tone of the debate for a second.

Are there not concessions for disabled people anyway? If there are, then would I not be correct in saying disabled veterans would come under that category anyway, therefore isn't that issue a bit of a straw man where this debate is concerned? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% sure.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
GreenSam":3ae33m95 said:
Just to cool down the tone of the debate for a second.

Are there not concessions for disabled people anyway? If there are, then would I not be correct in saying disabled veterans would come under that category anyway, therefore isn't that issue a bit of a straw man where this debate is concerned? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% sure.

I'm unsure, I know a little regarding disabled entrants who are entitled to enablers but yours sounds like a much more valid and fair point, compared to the previous one!

Dec 9, 2009
PLYMOUTH
tigertony":2xv2geth said:
Pilgrim":2xv2geth said:
Why should the armed forces get a discount? Seriously, why should they? They signed up to serve, they're all volunteer's. There are far more dangerous jobs around than many jobs in the Navy. I can tell you that Navy personel have it cushsty, they get well paid, loads of time off, good pension, it's a good career and they get paid much more money than the average civilian worker based in Plymouth. I agree with the guy who said he wouldn't want preferential treatment. The thing is, where do you draw the line? Alot of jobs are dangerous, not just the armed forces. If matelots didn't waste their money on p****** it up most nights; then they might be able to afford to watch the football.
I can tell you that Navy personel have it cushsty – evidence ?????

I don't know what you do but I will bet that you are not on call 24/7.
When was the last time you had 3 days notice for a 6 month deployment or 12 hours notice for a flight out of UK – time away unknown. (the only seat left was 1st class = awesome)
When was the last time your 'home' was a cabin probably smaller than your bathroom for 6 months.
When was the last time you were tasked to fly 400 miles, open ocean, to a ship that may not even be there and couldn't be verified due to radio silence. If it wasn't there = no refuel = running on fumes and the plan was then to ditch the a/c get into a liferaft and wait 2 days to be picked up.
If thats cushty – I'd hate to do a job that wasn't.

They get well paid, - who told you that ?? Even on pay of £30K basing on 24/7 recall = £3.43 per hour.

Loads of time off ??? 6 weeks a year + deployment leave on return

Good pension – boy the pension debate is getting so boring. Did you check the pension in your present job prior to starting ???

It's a good career – at last a sensible comment. But someone has to visit Florida, Little Cayman, Montego Bay, Chile, Ecuador, Oman, Kenya, Liverpool, Barry, Norway, Crete (4 bleedy times), Jordan, Panama, Naples, Portsmouth, New York, Washington, Greece,

Tell me – why didn't you join ???????

:iagree:

25 years in the Navy and some times I cant believe the tripe some idiots come out with. Pilgrim I hope I never meet you face to face with comments like that (I suspect you are or have worked near the dockyard or in and around it!) :furious: . Well done to Tiger Tony for putting some perspective on it all. Ask my wife how easy it all is in the RN and about our pay and conditions. Yes I volunteered, Yes my wife married me 19 years ago :thumbup: and guess what after 25 years I still enjoy it but please take your head out of your arse and have a little respect :sigh: . Anyway this is PASOTi and its about football not the armed forces.

From someone who is still serving and comes from the Plymouth who has been a season ticket holder for longer than most have been supporting my perspective is that the lads serving down here wont be that interested in discounts. Most of the serving guys just want a little respect and are not worried about freebies (from anyone) or coming along to watch Argyle.

I have always thought it is one of our problems in Plymouth because we have a lot of servicemen down here from all over the country who already support their local football/rugby teams and have no interest in Argyle :sad: . I can guarantee that a lot of the different football tops walking around Guz during the week will be serviceman or their families supporting their own teams, a majority of the Rangers and Celtic fans down here are serving or ex serviceman who have made plymouth their home (bringing income into the City!). Most of my serving mates support Midland based teams, Sheffield base teams or Scottish teams (Oh and a couple of Manchester supporters :crazy: )

Whatever ship I have been serving on I tend to be the one that the other Navy football fans take the pi$$ out of as we have been a laughing stock more so than not in my career (apart from a few years when the promotions happened! :clap: ). This does not worry me as I am Green through and through and it's always a talking point over a few beers when watching some Premiership carp on Sky.

Forgetting the abuse the armed forces get from some :furious: and keeping it football orientated I think the club need to sort out the student discounts as it's the youngsters we need to get into the ground. Lets face it the city has a huge student population and with Marjons and Brickfields there is a huge sporting student base.

You also hear of people talking about our catchment area but the truth is we are a small football club contending with a massive rugby Union following in Cornwall and Sky coverage of Premiership football. Also I could probably name 20-25 people (Civvies!) who I have worked with in the past who have all stopped going to Home Park since it all went pair shaped. Plymothians are a fickle bunch when it comes to supporting the football club and these are also the people the club needs to get back.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
This is a very emotive area and, while I have great respect for the armed forces, I do worry that we're once again heading down the American path of deifying anyone who's even vaguely associated with the military and making them all "heroes", and of turning the whole enterprise into a nationalistic quasi-religion, with all those not overtly waving the flag condemned as heretics and blasphemers.

Hmm, much like the mindset of many football fans, come to think of it...

Dec 22, 2009
West London
The armed forces are important to Plymouth, as is the football club. Increasing the ties between the two organisations can only be a good thing. Besides, it's not as though we are short of empty seats at the moment.

Perhaps more should be done at other organisations with strong ties to the city, such as the University.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Why don't they just drop the price across the whole ticket range, I'm sure more bums in seats would be achieved.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
MickyD":18o3knhi said:
This is a very emotive area and, while I have great respect for the armed forces, I do worry that we're once again heading down the American path of deifying anyone who's even vaguely associated with the military and making them all "heroes", and of turning the whole enterprise into a nationalistic quasi-religion, with all those not overtly waving the flag condemned as heretics and blasphemers.

Hmm, much like the mindset of many football fans, come to think of it...

Very well summed up. I have a lot of respect for them, and am aware they do a very dangerous job, but I dislike the hysterical level of worship occasiaionally associated with the whole thing.

While I respect the armed forces massively, I find some of the flag waving jingoism by outsiders uncomfortable.

pilgrim daz

🇧🇳🇧🇳🇧🇳🇧🇳🇧🇳🇧🇳
Jan 6, 2006
Muara, Brunei
Well said Mr Christie, totally agree.
Having served for 24 years I think I am safe in saying that the majority of serving members are not interested in freebies and would be happy with receiveing the respect that would seem apparent from a number of the posts on this forum. The price of the ticket would not persuade any of my colleages (not locals) to become regular attendees. I have worked with a large number of civillian staff who have stopped comming to matches as we have slid down the leagues, these are the people who need to be tempted back.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Given our abysmal home form over the past 3 seasons I'm not sure anybody on a freebie with no particular tie to the club would have wanted to return! Our support has stood up wonderfully all things considered. However, Peter Jones and his PR team are now in a vital position with their marketing of the club's "New Beginning" next season.
The moaners on here might like seeing banks of empty green seats every other week but it is in everyone's interest to fill them. Two of the largest untapped markets in Plymouth are the University and military so it makes commercial sense to target them. Recognition & respect seem to be priorities for matelots & bootnecks whilst money is the main concern of students - it is now up to the PR professionals to come up with attractive strategies that put going to a match onto the 'options for the weekend' list for both these important groups.
A secondary promotion might be to target different groups for specific matches so coppers, firemen, ambulance paramedics, teachers, those who work in Swilly etc might be given recognition for the valuable contributions they make to local society.
Season ticket holders ire may be placated with bonus/rewards such as shop discounts, away travel 'specials', special offers to stay at Akkeron Hotels and the like, as well as the important consideration of being first in line for in-demand tickets.
With a little imagination from the PR team the interests of all parties can be met to the economic benefit of PAFC.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Many years ago, I remember being given a ticket to see Southampton play Portsmouth at The Dell. This encouraged a group of us to attend, quite regularly, at both The Dell and Fratton Park, alway supporting the home side - as paying supporters.

What's wrong with setting aside a fixed number of seats, for each home match, for 'Special Guests' - rotating it between service personnel from various establishments, the Uni, youth clubs, schools and other meritable organisations. I bet you will hook a few into the Argyle fold, who may well bring a few friends along next time.

It is all about marketing and public (community) relations, which is what Mr Brent is keen on building up.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Greenrod":3jr8z226 said:
Many years ago, I remember being given a ticket to see Southampton play Portsmouth at The Dell. This encouraged a group of us to attend, quite regularly, at both The Dell and Fratton Park, alway supporting the home side - as paying supporters.

What's wrong with setting aside a fixed number of seats, for each home match, for 'Special Guests' - rotating it between service personnel from various establishments, the Uni, youth clubs, schools and other meritable organisations. I bet you will hook a few into the Argyle fold, who may well bring a few friends along next time.
It is all about marketing and public (community) relations, which is what Mr Brent is keen on building up.

That, sir, is a much better approach.