Why no offers for Royal Navy? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why no offers for Royal Navy?

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
MickyD":53jkhatj said:
This is a very emotive area and, while I have great respect for the armed forces, I do worry that we're once again heading down the American path of deifying anyone who's even vaguely associated with the military and making them all "heroes", and of turning the whole enterprise into a nationalistic quasi-religion, with all those not overtly waving the flag condemned as heretics and blasphemers.

Hmm, much like the mindset of many football fans, come to think of it...
:iagree:

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
MickyD":37z0mqir said:
This is a very emotive area and, while I have great respect for the armed forces, I do worry that we're once again heading down the American path of deifying anyone who's even vaguely associated with the military and making them all "heroes", and of turning the whole enterprise into a nationalistic quasi-religion, with all those not overtly waving the flag condemned as heretics and blasphemers.

Hmm, much like the mindset of many football fans, come to think of it...

I was on the receiving end of all sorts of sticks and stones from some terribly angry people for daring to raise a similar viewpoint back in October.

Feb 25, 2005
Elburton, Plymouth
As ex service (RAF) myself I never expected or recieved discounts at any matches I went to , nor did I expect to as I was earning a decent enough wage. That being said though I do support the special events such as armed forces day, and hope that will continue, there could also be a "special case" made for the RN recruits over at Raleigh, who are away from home often for the first time, not earning big money at that stage, and also of course likely to return to Plymouth during their careers, and possibly even settle in the area after as many have, so why not try and catch them early?

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Al Curtis":36a45eae said:
As ex service (RAF) myself I never expected or recieved discounts at any matches I went to , nor did I expect to as I was earning a decent enough wage. That being said though I do support the special events such as armed forces day, and hope that will continue, there could also be a "special case" made for the RN recruits over at Raleigh, who are away from home often for the first time, not earning big money at that stage, and also of course likely to return to Plymouth during their careers, and possibly even settle in the area after as many have, so why not try and catch them early?
Likewise being ex RN, 34 years, I would agree with this. I also like the earlier option of a rotatable block of say 500 tickets to the 'worthy cause' of the week be it services or one or more other deserving organisations.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Yes, I too thought that an excellent idea. Could I suggest 500 Notre Dame schoolgirls one week?

Sorry, I'm ex-Bonny Coll and I still have my memories... :oops:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Actually some very good ideas.

Rotating 'free block' of 20 - 100 tickets over the season. Mop up RN (well the whole RN once Cameroon is done) / Uni / large stores / Schools / Charities / GSWestern / First / etc

Across the board reductions

Half price to Exeshitter fans next season so they can watch a decent team in a real stadium.

I agree we must avoid the USA approach of ''heroes'' for even sitting the entrance exam. Mind you I did make use while in Florida about 10 yrs back of the cheaper park tickets if bought at the PX. Reduced from £1200 to £900 (still paying for it now)
WHOSE been on the ''Tower of terror'' ?????

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
The attitude of "I didn't get it, why should they" never ceases to amaze me!

I also served for 12 years and was forunate enough to leave before the middle east kicked off.

I never got a freebie, but feel it would be a nice gesture by the club to incentivise forces attendance. Plymouth is a military city!

America has a lot to dislike, but their patriotism is something I admire. Pride in your country is not actually a bad thing. And no I don't mean that it an EDL type way.

I for one approve of this offer \o/

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
The attitude of "I didn't get it, why should they" never ceases to amaze me!

I also served for 12 years and was forunate enough to leave before the middle east kicked off.

I never got a freebie, but feel it would be a nice gesture by the club to incentivise forces attendance. Plymouth is a military city!

America has a lot to dislike, but their patriotism is something I admire. Pride in your country is not actually a bad thing. And no I don't mean that it an EDL type way.

I for one approve of this offer \o/

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
It was tough at times in my day - I started as a powder monkey but progressed to be topsail man. My boss was a pain in the arse though. Some chap called 'Nelson' - didn't he play for Argyle once :funny: :funny:

I can remember lying on the beach in Little Cayman (50/10) thinking ''Is this the best they can do ???'' :sigh: