Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 64 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who would you like as the new manager?

• Anthony Barry

Votes: 41 7.6%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

• Nigel Pearson

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • Paul Cook

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Nathan Jones

• Leighton Baines

• Gareth Ainsworth

• Grant McCann

• Gary Rowett

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Brian Barry-Murphy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pete Wild

• Mike Williamson

• Michael Beale

• Mark Warburton

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Lee Johnson

• Graeme Murty

• Gary Bowyer

• Frank Lampard

• Dean Holden

• Dave Challinor

• Michael Duff

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Mark Bonner

• Damien Duff

• Cameron Toshack

• Stephen Bradley

• Simon Grayson

• Karl Robinson

• Andrew Crofts

• Justin Cochrane

• Luke Garrard

• Nathan Rooney

• Jonathan Woodgate

• Paul Hurst

• Ritchie Wellens

• Michael Skubala

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 388 72.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 27 5.0%

• Total voters
Feb 14, 2022
Whoever they all are, our skeleton coaching staff for several weeks was totally unacceptable.

It was Foster’s fault because he refused to appoint anyone, but again it comes back to his appointment in the first place and the discussions that should have taken place before he started the job. Plus the muddled thinking of the head coach label… if he was only head coach then why was he leading both player and coaching staff recruitment?

Lots of questions, and more importantly lessons learned.
Totally agree on Foster but my point had nothing to do with his time at the club. My point was that the pic was of 16 people who we had no idea who they were or what jobs they did.

We have ND, KN, Ireland and the goalie coach. Add 4 club physios, a doctor, 2 analysts, 2 in recruitment, 2 kit men and we have 15. Without the details, it means nothing.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Even though the club have said that the process hasn’t really started, it probably has and a shortlist has probably been drawn up, but obviously the season is still far from over for some, for example Mike Williamson’s MK Dons have a play off battle to come. I remember chatting to Andrew Parkinson shortly after Ryan Lowe was appointed, he said that the club would have possibly been interested in Mike Flynn but Newport’s involvement in the play offs made it difficult to approach him.

Apr 8, 2016
Even though the club have said that the process hasn’t really started, it probably has and a shortlist has probably been drawn up, but obviously the season is still far from over for some, for example Mike Williamson’s MK Dons have a play off battle to come. I remember chatting to Andrew Parkinson shortly after Ryan Lowe was appointed, he said that the club would have possibly been interested in Mike Flynn but Newport’s involvement in the play offs made it difficult to approach him.
Add to that Dick Schrueder finishing his campaign in Spain, though that could be wrapped up in a couple of weeks also. Good thing is that Skubala is not involved in any playoffs and Helstrup would also be available.

Apr 8, 2016
What puts me off Williamson is that he teams really don't know how to defend in lower leagues than ours they are regularly shipping goals (as well as scoring them).

Sep 28, 2022
Chris Coleman, the ex Wales and Sunderland manager is a name I have not seen mentioned. Been there, seen it and done it so hopefully,if successful wouldn't be tempted by a bigger offer elsewhere. Could be an experienced head for the likes of Joe Edwards to learn from and hopefully build a dynasty for the future. Just a thought, no doubt the usual suspects will say he, s too old dinasour football etc etc. Actually I think he, s in is fifties so there is still life within hopefully.

Last edited:
May 22, 2006
Chris Coleman, the ex Wales and Sunderland manager is a name I have not seen mentioned. Been there, seen it and done it so hopefully,if successful wouldn't be tempted by a bigger offer elsewhere. Could be an experienced head for the likes of Joe Edwards to learn from and hopefully build a dynasty for the future. Just a thought, no doubt the usual suspects will say he, s too old dinasour football etc etc. Actually I think he, s in is fifties so there is still life within hopefully.
Last two management jobs in Greece and China.

Nov 18, 2011
His last job in the Championship was getting Sunderland relegated to League 1.

Said the right things on the Sunderland 'Til I Die Netflix series but that didn't translate to any improvement on the pitch.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
I just watched no tippy tappy football podcast with Nigel Pearson. On reflection I wouldn't mind him, I believe he is a little bit old school shall we say but at his stage of career maybe he would consider us? Maybe his next job will be lower champ/promotion league one clubs?

He came across well as a person, indicated he is getting over his health issues and would look for a job.... We might suit him a club building for the future, supportive board, no big club pressure... Even location might actually help as he seems to enjoy a walk😂. Also he came across as someone willing to work with what he has...i.e youth development..... Only issue he made it very clear he's a "manager" not a "head coach"

Would be confident he could bring us straight back up, or steady the ship with his experience if we managed a miracle next weekend. With his age/career stage maybe he wouldn't bugger off too if he got us promotion, he might stick with us for that first season back.
I felt he came across well only because Allardyce was at his most Allardycey, talking about referres and the system being bent against him. I don't think Pearson would be a bad appointment, but almost anyone would have come across well compared to the human moan across the table from him that day!

Even as the just appointed chairman of the Natalie Pike fan club, I couldn't watch beyond the point at which he started bemoaning all the times he got fined by the FA.

Sep 28, 2022
His last job in the Championship was getting Sunderland relegated to League 1.

Said the right things on the Sunderland 'Til I Die Netflix series but that didn't translate to any improvement on the pitch.
Although to be fair to him at that time Sunderland were going through a financial meltdown in the boardroom with all sorts of financial mismanagement taking place. I did read that he was currently in China. Maybe he might fancy coming back to a club not too far from Wales!!. And also one on a far more substantial financial foundation than the one at Sunderland at his time there. Just a suggestion that's all and this is the place for such suggestions after all.

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
I felt he came across well only because Allardyce was at his most Allardycey, talking about referres and the system being bent against him. I don't think Pearson would be a bad appointment, but almost anyone would have come across well compared to the human moan across the table from him that day!

Even as the just appointed chairman of the Natalie Pike fan club, I couldn't watch beyond the point at which he started bemoaning all the times he got fined by the FA.
Yep I thought the same. I guess when I wrote he came across well, I actually meant he came across a lot better than I expected.

I only watched the podcast because I had seen his name suggested previously and was curious. Think he is too much of the old lads network to fit us.... Hence why he was on that podcast I guess

Reactions: Jon with no H

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Without investment we will not get any of the well known managers to come here for what we can afford. I am watching to see if new investors come in before we announce a new manager, hoping it doesn't delay a decision too long.

Feb 8, 2005
I keep seeing posters referring to new investors, as if they are then going to spend their money on the team or an experienced manager!

New investors are wanted for the continuation of the improvement of the infrastructure of the club. The next phase of improvement will be the improvement of Harpers in order that our training facilities will be close to the ground. Money will be required for the grandstand improvements, also for any freestanding which will be required in the ground. There will be money to be spent on building a new bigger superstore in the car park that we have recently acquired.

And so it goes on.

Further investment money will be put towards infrastructure, not playing budgets, I'm afraid, which is why we are having difficulty finding a suitable investor.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I keep seeing posters referring to new investors, as if they are then going to spend their money on the team or an experienced manager!

New investors are wanted for the continuation of the improvement of the infrastructure of the club. The next phase of improvement will be the improvement of Harpers in order that our training facilities will be close to the ground. Money will be required for the grandstand improvements, also for any freestanding which will be required in the ground. There will be money to be spent on building a new bigger superstore in the car park that we have recently acquired.

And so it goes on.

Further investment money will be put towards infrastructure, not playing budgets, I'm afraid, which is why we are having difficulty finding a suitable investor.
It would be split. There was an interview with Hallett earlier this month where he said he'd wanted an investor in by Christmas and the failure to get one meant we couldn't spend as much as we'd have wanted to in January, it also says that if we don't get one then it will be the same again in the summer.

Feb 8, 2005
It would be split. There was an interview with Hallett earlier this month where he said he'd wanted an investor in by Christmas and the failure to get one meant we couldn't spend as much as we'd have wanted to in January, it also says that if we don't get one then it will be the same again in the summer.

Thanks for that, Argy1e.

I agree except that he says it would be "a bit more money" into the squad, but I don't see that as an even split. The vast majority would still go towards the infrastructure.

He was referring to the fact that the money was required 'yesterday' due to the impending window closure, and he says that the same restrictions would apply to the upcoming summer transfer window.

Let's hope we can get an investor in by then.