Wayne Rooney set to be appointed | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wayne Rooney set to be appointed

Would you want Wayne Rooney as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 364 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 526 52.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 107 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
i doubt if jesse marsch will ever work in england again.
I certainly changed my view of him completely after watching his appearance on Monday Night Football that MGM has previously referenced, it was fascinating. However, I imagine he would be in a diffierent stratosphere price wise to the one we look at.

Nov 18, 2011
I'd take Michael Skubala. It'd only happen though if we stay up and Lincoln don't get promoted.

The board will get in another young promising coach, it's worked 2 out of the 3 times they've tried it. They aren't going to chuck their whole model away despite Foster not working out, whether we like it or not. With that in mind we may a well look at managers who would fit the model, considering anyone like McCarthy or Warnock is just a waste of time.

Unlike Foster, Skubala does have managerial experience already which is important and where Foster was so lacking, he's doing a great job at Lincoln right now and they're very much punching above their weight.

After reading this:

He does come across as someone who would slot in well into the project that Argyle are trying to put together what with his data led approach, track record in developing young players and attractive style of play.

May 28, 2015
Nance for the next six games, then appoint Joe Edwards for next season. He understands the set-up, he could continue the work created by both Lowe and Shuey as he has lived the journey so far. Plus he bleeds green and the squad respects him.
I don’t think Joe Edwards is allowed due to the level of his coaching badges, I’m pretty sure I’m correct in saying you have to be a certain level to take charge of an EFL club?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don’t think Joe Edwards is allowed due to the level of his coaching badges, I’m pretty sure I’m correct in saying you have to be a certain level to take charge of an EFL club?

You need to hold a UEFA A license to manage in the EFL and a UEFA Pro license (which Nancekivell and Ireland have) to manage in the Premier League. I’m not sure how far Edwards has got. Either way, I think appointing him would be far too big of a risk.

Reactions: MustardEagle
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
It’s a shame there aren’t currently any good Scottish managers around (the ones that we could afford AND that are decent) given our good history we've had with jocks......

Reactions: IJN
Apr 5, 2012
I'd take Michael Skubala. It'd only happen though if we stay up and Lincoln don't get promoted.

The board will get in another young promising coach, it's worked 2 out of the 3 times they've tried it. They aren't going to chuck their whole model away despite Foster not working out, whether we like it or not. With that in mind we may a well look at managers who would fit the model, considering anyone like McCarthy or Warnock is just a waste of time.

Unlike Foster, Skubala does have managerial experience already which is important and where Foster was so lacking, he's doing a great job at Lincoln right now and they're very much punching above their weight.

After reading this:

He does come across as someone who would slot in well into the project that Argyle are trying to put together what with his data led approach, track record in developing young players and attractive style of play.
A young newer manager is fine as long as they don't abandon everything after 2 days and proceed to ignore anything that has made a club successful and treat players like kids

Sep 3, 2011
Nance for the next six games, then appoint Joe Edwards for next season. He understands the set-up, he could continue the work created by both Lowe and Shuey as he has lived the journey so far. Plus he bleeds green and the squad respects him.
It would be the cheap option but a no from me.

Sep 28, 2022
Who is being trusted to interview all these supposedly interested applicants. Or are we better off with the proverbial pin!!

Jun 24, 2008
My opinion on those linked within this article so far: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...ng-favourites-for-plymouth-argyle-job-4577597

Heckingbottom - No thanks. Don't think he's all that and certainly doesn't suit our style.
Warnock - I would have for 6 games but not for a season.
Pearson - No. I would reconsider renewing my ST, guy is a tool.
Alex Neil - Yes. But I would be wary given how quick he was to jump from Sunderland to Stoke off a good run.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Has anyone mentioned the Wycombe Rock Guitar God yet?

That's not an endorsement - just curious !

IF we happen to be back in league one, l think here is a guy that worked miracles with Wycombe & a small budget.

I know what we saw under him was many time wasting antics, but in all honesty show me a successful team who don't use it to their advantage. Maybe though they were too extreme with it.

Obviously, the other issue is style of play. Now personally, l think if your attacked minded & scoring goals it doesn't matter if you tippy tappy or long/direct ball because your scoring goals.

I do think though their is art to defending that for some time we haven't seen at Argyle. Within that art is an organisation that a good coach has trained his team as a unit.

I don't think he fits the mould of what we want. Yet l've often listened to him & thought l can see why players want to play for him. I can imagine how he would make young players feel good about themselves & give them the confidence to just express themselves.

Although you can argue about his football he developed players like Mehmeti who they sold onto to Bristol City.

Unfortunately, it all comes down to a perception about "attacking" football which l think is a red herring. Foster did not fall on his sword for the style of play. It was the results he achieved.

Yet on a budget, which Argyle are having to punch way above their weight with, he showed different skills with Wycombe which Argyle could find useful if back in league one.

However, you do have to take in account in style of play. You also have to take in account his disastrous spell at QPR. I'm just surprised someone like Charlton earlier in the season didn't snap him up but then they picked up the unfashionable Nathan Jones, and now look what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.