Transfer record of £1 million? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Transfer record of £1 million?

Dave Stoneman

♣️ SWAG Member
May 26, 2009
Ystrad Mynach
Yes - I listened to a football podcast where they discussed football finance throughout Europe following an academic study & some large scale number crunching. The somewhat surprising conclusion they came to was that money spent on transfer fees had a relatively small correlation with success ..... far more important was wages. It seems that big transfers more often than not are just not cost effective in terms of added value.

The implication is that it's much better to spend the money on wages to attract, develop and retain players ..... and presumably also selling on players at a profit to repeat the process. If our board is 'data driven' as they say then I'm sure they'll be well aware of this - and as you say can only imagine them spending large sums (for us) on players with genuine development potential.
Interesting.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
It’s a way better investment to spend on wages if you can get players in for free (like Gibson). I’d happily not pay a penny for a player if we can.

That’s how we have to compete, look for Premiership youth and out of contract players around the world, leaving the EU made it harder for us to find players from Europe. We probably need to hire or contract more data analysts/scouts.

Reactions: NLG
Aug 22, 2020
It’s a way better investment to spend on wages if you can get players in for free (like Gibson). I’d happily not pay a penny for a player if we can.

That’s how we have to compete, look for Premiership youth and out of contract players around the world, leaving the EU made it harder for us to find players from Europe. We probably need to hire or contract more data analysts/scouts.
Remember now we are in the championship we can start looking abroad again, the rules changed last year meaning we can get work permits easy

Reactions: Mat
Oct 14, 2015
Dave Button at Reading may be available. Lost his place at Reading, very experienced and we had him on loan few years back. Admittedly he’s 35 now but still an excellent keeper

Reactions: stefcf

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The talk of signing Finn back to me seems crazy, as much as i would love for it to happen i cant see it happening. He has only just joined Boro for approximately £2.5m, he is playing regularly for them, so they only way we would have a sniff would be to pay upwards of £5m, its just not happening.

I'm sure you're right but we can all dream. 😉

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
The talk of signing Finn back to me seems crazy, as much as i would love for it to happen i cant see it happening. He has only just joined Boro for approximately £2.5m, he is playing regularly for them, so they only way we would have a sniff would be to pay upwards of £5m, its just not happening.
probably not.. more likely they’d come in for Whittaker.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
If Cooper moves on, Christian Walton is likely to be available from Ipswich
No future value in Walton and high wages. I expect us to go for a younger keeper than Walton who we can improve and sell on.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
So if Cooper goes for £8M…

Half to playing budget? £2M uplift for 2 years?
£2M to reset player investment fund to zero?
£2M for wider capital projects (Harpers, Fan Zones, Brickfields etc.)

Is this how we think it might work?
I think player sales will go into the playing budget

Dec 28, 2023
Rotherham’s Johannson is rumoured to have a release clause of £730k with Sheffield United and Leeds showing an interest.

I’ll be keeping a keen eye on Boro’s summer signings.
Finn’s relationship with the club, Whittaker and other people and places in Plymouth could be more of a draw than we think if he were to get sidelined by new signings coming in.

The criticism of Whittaker is unfair given how many minutes he’s played this season.
The lack of a back up forward being brought in must’ve been a strain mentally knowing you wouldn’t be given a rest for over 4 months.

I’m excited to see what the summer brings.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
If Cooper moves on, Christian Walton is likely to be available from Ipswich
Why?

We have a perfectly good No. 2 keeper who is more than capable of becoming the No. 1.

Aug 10, 2006
Hopefully hallett will sell 20% of his shares for £7 million and that money will go towards new signings, whoever the new manager is he needs to be given a substantial budget to get some experienced players in they can't make the same mistakes as they did this season.