Transfer record of £1 million? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Transfer record of £1 million?

Oct 10, 2018
If Whittaker goes, Femi A, ( winger)) Striker - Komora, Jodi Jones ( winger) & Cammy Devlin, DM, Brannagan AM,

Josh coburn ( striker) - season loan.
He scores some great goals though, does he not?
Yes he does, yet it's more than about spectacular goals, and more about consistency and impact in games, and for me MW goes missing to often in games.

• Snore
Reactions: Lancastergreen
Feb 14, 2022
Why?

We have a perfectly good No. 2 keeper who is more than capable of becoming the No. 1.

I didn't say he would come in as number 1 - after all he is number 2 at Ipswich now. I didn't even say we should go for him. All I said is he is apparently available so if Cooper moves on he is an option. And we need 2 quality keepers in the squad to compete and push each other - so if we want to improve and move forward as a club I'd rather we signed a keeper from Ipswich than L2

Reactions: Andy S
Jul 6, 2005
The Cooper to Celtic rumour? Makes sense with Joe Hart retiring.
Classic example of 2 + 2 making 7.

There's more chance of Celtic re-signing Hazard than there is of them paying £5M+ for Cooper.

For those of you still pining for Azaz, let it go and move on. There is absolutely no chance of him coming back and the sooner you accept it the better.

It's up to our recruitment team to find someone else, loan or permanent.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Hopefully hallett will sell 20% of his shares for £7 million and that money will go towards new signings, whoever the new manager is he needs to be given a substantial budget to get some experienced players in they can't make the same mistakes as they did this season.
How does that work? If Simon Hallett sells shares for £7 million than that isn’t the club’s money, it is his and he has said he won’t put any more of his money into the club. It’s more likely that new shares will be issued, reducing Simon’s percentage holding.

Oct 10, 2018
Yes - I listened to a football podcast where they discussed football finance throughout Europe following an academic study & some large scale number crunching. The somewhat surprising conclusion they came to was that money spent on transfer fees had a relatively small correlation with success ..... far more important was wages. It seems that big transfers more often than not are just not cost effective in terms of added value.

The implication is that it's much better to spend the money on wages to attract, develop and retain players ..... and presumably also selling on players at a profit to repeat the process. If our board is 'data driven' as they say then I'm sure they'll be well aware of this - and as you say can only imagine them spending large sums (for us) on players with genuine development potential.
This definitely seems to fit in with Argyles data driven model.

Contradictory to this we actually paid the 2nd lowest wages across the league.

Ref development of players totally agree, why I see argyle returning to reading for Femi A, also Tyler Goodrham is one of the best prospects, can play anywhere along the MF, or in an more advanced role.

Ollie O'Neil at Leyton Orient,

Paulie O'Connel CB
at Lincoln

Komora - Huddersfield (transfer) & Josh Colburn ( loan)

all these players fit into this dynamic ....

Jul 29, 2012
Hopefully hallett will sell 20% of his shares for £7 million and that money will go towards new signings, whoever the new manager is he needs to be given a substantial budget to get some experienced players in they can't make the same mistakes as they did this season.
I can’t see that happening. When Argyle Green pulled out , SH had to purchase their shares and pay £6M to cover what was anticipated to be their investment in Brickfields . Prior to that he had said , he had invested his maximum so had to find the extra .

Obviously he can change his mind , but I’d have thought that squad strengthening is likely to come from squad sales plus increase in profit generated through commercial activity plus tv money .

Of course in addition to buying shares from SH a new investor might also put money into the squad although funds also needed for first team training etc ,

Reactions: CoventryGreen

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
This definitely seems to fit in with Argyles data driven model.

Contradictory to this we actually paid the 2nd lowest wages across the league.

Ref development of players totally agree, why I see argyle returning to reading for Femi A, also Tyler Goodrham is one of the best prospects, can play anywhere along the MF, or in an more advanced role.

Ollie O'Neil at Leyton Orient,

Paulie O'Connel CB
at Lincoln

Komora - Huddersfield (transfer) & Josh Colburn ( loan)

all these players fit into this dynamic ....
You do seem hell bent on recruiting lower league players, just waiting to see who we should sign from Parkway other than their former "manager"

Jul 29, 2012
How does that work? If Simon Hallett sells shares for £7 million than that isn’t the club’s money, it is his and he has said he won’t put any more of his money into the club. It’s more likely that new shares will be issued, reducing Simon’s percentage holding.
Completely agree .

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
He has said any money from investors will go to the club, so PAFC the business will, as you say, have to issue more shares and he will keep the same shareholding but own a smaller percentage of the club. Otherwise they are buying his shares and he keeps the money which is not what will happen.

I understand we are quite close to a deal, fingers very firmly crossed.

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I can’t see that happening. When Argyle Green pulled out , SH had to purchase their shares and pay £6M to cover what was anticipated to be their investment in Brickfields . Prior to that he had said , he had invested his maximum so had to find the extra .

Obviously he can change his mind , but I’d have thought that squad strengthening is likely to come from squad sales plus increase in profit generated through commercial activity plus tv money .

Of course in addition to buying shares from SH a new investor might also put money into the squad although funds also needed for first team training etc ,
In theory there could be multi millions to spend on the squad with the new budget and the new tv deal money, we could be in a better place to buy better players than we were last season.
I would have thought the new manager/head coach will have a fairly decent (our standards) budget where they can pull in some very good players to make us more of a threat :)

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
You do seem hell bent on recruiting lower league players, just waiting to see who we should sign from Parkway other than their former "manager"
You do seem hell bent on giving Monty stick for every post he makes, a bit OTT maybe ?

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
You do seem hell bent on giving Monty stick for every post he makes, a bit OTT maybe ?
not really, its all copy paste from the other million same posts he's done :)

Dec 28, 2023
Classic example of 2 + 2 making 7.

There's more chance of Celtic re-signing Hazard than there is of them paying £5M+ for Cooper.

For those of you still pining for Azaz, let it go and move on. There is absolutely no chance of him coming back and the sooner you accept it the better.

It's up to our recruitment team to find someone else, loan or permanent.
The same was said of Whittaker and Mumba then look what happened.
I’m not pining for Azaz but I recognise that there’s always the possibility of a return.

Finn was bought in the January window to bolster their squad for the second half of the season, that doesn’t necessarily mean they saw/see him as a long term prospect.

Again, I’ll be keeping a close eye on their signings.

Jul 29, 2012
The same was said of Whittaker and Mumba then look what happened.
I’m not pining for Azaz but I recognise that there’s always the possibility of a return.

Finn was bought in the January window to bolster their squad for the second half of the season, that doesn’t necessarily mean they saw/see him as a long term prospect.

Again, I’ll be keeping a close eye on their signings.
He signed a four and a half year deal so that sounds long term to me .

He won’t be available any time soon .

Jul 29, 2012
He has said any money from investors will go to the club, so PAFC the business will, as you say, have to issue more shares and he will keep the same shareholding but own a smaller percentage of the club. Otherwise they are buying his shares and he keeps the money which is not what will happen.

I understand we are quite close to a deal, fingers very firmly crossed.

Did he say that this time around ? I know it happened last time , but then had to shell out £6M plus unexpectedly .