Torquay v Argyle Match Thread | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Torquay v Argyle Match Thread

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Argyle have had a very well-arranged pre-season.

A steady start against local teams, three games against good Championship sides were we were competitive and a good game at Torquay to finish off.

A number of decent signings who look to have strengthened the squad in defence and midfield but still a concern over where the goals will come from if not from Ennis.

We have defenders who actually know how to defend at League 1 level now. Broom is a very good signing as an attacking midfielder. I doubt he has been signed to warm the bench and I would expect him to chip in with a few goals as well.

I doubt we will concede 80 goals this season or be in the bottom 6. I expect us to be solid mid-table, perhaps sneaking in to the top 10.

A slight concern is that Mayor is still flattering to deceive somewhat and loses the ball in our own half a bit too often.

The big concern is Jephcott who is a shadow of the player who left the field with 5 minutes to go at Fratton Park back at the beginning of February after scoring twice; he simply hasn't looked the same player since.

It has gone on too long for it to be a blip, a dip in form or a temporary loss of confidence; I fear it could be terminal but would love to be proved wrong. For those who say he will end up back at Truro, that is unlikely as he wouldn't get a game with them as he is playing now.

Young Shirley is not helping Jephcott either, in the cameo's we have seen from him in the PSFs, he has shown that he has a far better touch, looks much sharper and appears more aware of what's around him.

In all fairness, he should be in front of Jephcott in the pecking order if the requirement of a substitute next week is to positively influence the game.

Reactions: Mark Smith
Sep 6, 2006
Argyle have had a very well-arranged pre-season.

A steady start against local teams, three games against good Championship sides were we were competitive and a good game at Torquay to finish off.

A number of decent signings who look to have strengthened the squad in defence and midfield but still a concern over where the goals will come from if not from Ennis.

We have defenders who actually know how to defend at League 1 level now. Broom is a very good signing as an attacking midfielder. I doubt he has been signed to warm the bench and I would expect him to chip in with a few goals as well.

I doubt we will concede 80 goals this season or be in the bottom 6. I expect us to be solid mid-table, perhaps sneaking in to the top 10.

A slight concern is that Mayor is still flattering to deceive somewhat and loses the ball in our own half a bit too often.

The big concern is Jephcott who is a shadow of the player who left the field with 5 minutes to go at Fratton Park back at the beginning of February after scoring twice; he simply hasn't looked the same player since.

It has gone on too long for it to be a blip, a dip in form or a temporary loss of confidence; I fear it could be terminal but would love to be proved wrong. For those who say he will end up back at Truro, that is unlikely as he wouldn't get a game with them as he is playing now.

Young Shirley is not helping Jephcott either, in the cameo's we have seen from him in the PSFs, he has shown that he has a far better touch, looks much sharper and appears more aware of what's around him.

In all fairness, he should be in front of Jephcott in the pecking order if the requirement of a substitute next week is to positively influence the game.
Such a pity we didn't cash in on Jephcott in January.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Such a pity we didn't cash in on Jephcott in January.

Its such a pity you don't support players rather than just criticise, sometimes you post something sensible, but rarely.

Sep 6, 2006
Its such a pity you don't support players rather than just criticise, sometimes you post something sensible, but rarely.
Perhaps you should set up your own site for happy clappers where everyone lives happily ever after. Meanwhile in the real world....

Feb 9, 2021
I will use my telescope 😉
hope the manager saves our better players today from the off
Randell in Camara's position. P.C. goes slow after a good start and passes back or sideways more often than not, I think he's turning into Grant.
I hope Pan turns into conner!
14 assists exciting goals team player and links the best with Danny at the club .I hope your right Brian you seem very knowledgeable

Reactions: briangreen
Oct 31, 2015
Got to laugh. I didn't go yesterday but I have read the reports and comments. Professionals and some on here said Broom had a good 50 minutes and others saying not.
RL commented he won't be playing left midfield much (obviously DMs position).

What was it PASOTI professionals did he play ok or pants. 🤣

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I am no football manager but i was impressed with the energy Ryan Broom brought to the team bearing in mind he only joined on Thursday

I have read some posts questioning his fitness in pre season but he has had a pre season with Peterborough & the player himself has said he is fit & raring to go

You have to cut him some slack- how many hours has he had on the training pitch with the other players to get to know their styles & what makes them kick- understanding does not come after 2 training sessions - it will come after a competitive game & i thought he equipped himself very well

Do some people think you sign a ready made player that will be durable enough to slot into whatever playing style the club they sign for adopts

James Wilson said after the Bristol City game that the current defensive unit had never played the system RL adopts & that it had taken them a while to get use to it - so there you have your answer

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
What on earth has happened to Jephcott though? I never thought he was going to be the multi million pound striker some were predicting, but his demise seems to be catastrophic and potentially terminal. Hopefully he will be presented with an easy tap in next week and start to get his confidence back on track.

Reactions: pafcshaun

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Got to laugh. I didn't go yesterday but I have read the reports and comments. Professionals and some on here said Broom had a good 50 minutes and others saying not.
RL commented he won't be playing left midfield much (obviously DMs position).

What was it PASOTI professionals did he play ok or pants. 🤣
I think he had a superb game. He was all over the pitch, dinking passes, tackling well and was a real live wire.

Reactions: jespafc
Jun 16, 2021
What on earth has happened to Jephcott though? I never thought he was going to be the multi million pound striker some were predicting, but his demise seems to be catastrophic and potentially terminal. Hopefully he will be presented with an easy tap in next week and start to get his confidence back on track.
His goals have dried up and those predicting a £10m player were sucked in by a rich vein of goals over a couple of months and nothing else. It was never going to last. He is a fox in the box player that offers nothing but goals and now that has deserted him he is nothing. Even his first touch has gone, he isn't fast, doesn't have tricks and he doesn't win headers. Non league Torquay defenders had him in their pockets all game whereas Ennis was ripping them to shreds. Even lighweight Shirley did more with his first 3 touches than Jephcott had done in 80 mins.
Its a shame for the lad but I have always seen him as a good honest non league footballer personally not a £10m superstar

Oct 24, 2010
I think he had a superb game. He was all over the pitch, dinking passes, tackling well and was a real live wire.
I agree, thought he was excellent. Will be interesting to see who plays right midfield next week, Broom, Camera or Randell, I think the rest of the team is pretty much a done deal.

Oct 24, 2010
hope the manager saves our better players today from the off

I hope Pan turns into conner!
14 assists exciting goals team player and links the best with Danny at the club .I hope your right Brian you seem very knowledgeable
Grant is quality player with an end product, Camera could learn a lot from him