This in an Absolute Disgrace | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This in an Absolute Disgrace

Aug 19, 2009
Leigh Rapson":3n5lit9c said:
But it also takes a decent manager with tactical know how. That's what we are lacking. No disgrace just very upset and passionate argyle fans who have had enough.

:iagree:

Oct 4, 2003
Plymouth
Why argue over whether we were playing teams at the top or bottom? Argyle should be competing easily with anybody in this league, it's defeatisim to keep harking back to the struggles of recent years, we're out of administration and Fletch was allegedly given a budget at least the equal of any other team in this division. We should be comfortably in the top half, not with half a foot in the relegation zone after a 6 game winless streak.

L

Lord Tisdale

The Funkmeister has a point, a month ago the Mighty Exeter City were bottom of the form table, playing like poo in a stick and couldn't have bought a point if we'd had two bob to rub together in the first place. Last night I watched us outplay the team seven points clear at the top in their own manor with basically the same team that couldn't score in a Union St. brothel.

This has got to be one of the hardest to read leagues I have ever experienced, yer man makes the point with last night's results, anybody nipping down Bet Fred's with them five up will be drawing big time.

You aren't getting battered every week and you don't have a Jamie Cureton, he is the only reason we are not down hovering over the drop zone with you. The major problem is that the sides which previously looked fubar are in the main showing some form, Dags, Wycombe, Barnet, Shots and even AFC have all found a bit, my feeling is that you have to dig in and work the problem rather than go for a radical solution, I am also certain that JB will go that way, he will not be flashing his hard earned about, he never does, I don't even think that when you get the inevitable beasting at Sid James on the 15th that Brent will be swayed, he can stick as many puke green scarves around his neck as he likes it doesn't matter, it still won't hurt him like it hurts us.

R

RedGreen

Soze":3109aq09 said:
Why argue over whether we were playing teams at the top or bottom? Argyle should be competing easily with anybody in this league, it's defeatisim to keep harking back to the struggles of recent years, we're out of administration and Fletch was allegedly given a budget at least the equal of any other team in this division. We should be comfortably in the top half, not with half a foot in the relegation zone after a 6 game winless streak.

It's justification for pizz-poor performances. It's also not being wholly truthful about the situation, this 1 bounce of a ball, 1 deflection blah blah just blurs the reality of how crap we are doing.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Ade the green":24uf0hrq said:
Ollieargyle9":24uf0hrq said:
Dan Ellard":24uf0hrq said:
commander_funk":24uf0hrq said:
1) Look at who we've played the last 4/5 games. All top 6 sides or near enough, mostly away. when you're doing your pools coupons how many would you honestly expect us to win? The fixture list hasn't been kind to CF after the Dorchester debacle. The next 4/5 games are much more winnable, we should see a difference.

To pick out this point in particular - before the previous 4/5 games (so in the first 15 games of the season) we barely played any sides in the top half - a lot of "winnable" games as you put it - and we won 4. Hardly breathtaking form is it?

Lets put this point to bed shall we?

League table
Gillingham Draw 2-2 (H)
Port Vale Loss 3-1 (H)
Cheltenahm Loss 2-1 (A)
Fleetwood Loss 3-0 (A)
Bradford Loss 1-0 (A)
Rochdale Won 3-1 (H)
Exeter
Southend Draw 1-1 (H)
Northampton Won 3-1 (H)
Burton Loss 2-1 (H)
Rotherham Loss 1-0 (A)
Chesterfield
Torquay Draw 1-1 (A)
Accrington
York
Dagenham Draw 0-0 (A)
Morecambe Won 3-2 (A)
Oxford Utd Loss 2-1 (A)
Plymouth N/A
Wimbledon Loss 2-1 (H)
Bristol Rvrs Draw 0-0 (H)
Aldershot Loss 2-0 (H)
---------------------------
Wycombe Draw 1-1 (A)
Barnet Won 4-1 (A)

As you can see the bottom half is no more green than the top, the only reason it has a couple of grey gaps in between those red defeats is because we are down the bottom seperating a couple of reds.

My point is the so called "winnable" games don't seem to be going any better than those that are considered a lot harder to win. Who we play is irrelevant, we just can't seem to beat anybody top or bottom at the moment.

Good point almost made but, that is the table today and does not necessarily show where they were when we played them. I'm almost sure both Burton and Rotherham were higher. Not much difference.

Also, it shows that by and large we've lost by the odd goal more times than got slaughtered and that when we've won we must have been on fire as each victory has seen us score 3 goals.
Probably makes no difference but there is also no mention of how many players we've ended the games with.
I think that without producing a spreadsheet the one glaring error that Carl Fletcher has made is that he will not leave the bloody team alone from one game to the next.

To be fair it was just a quick post before I went to bed last night :lol:

Building on one your points Ade, "when we lose we only do so by the odd goal" which you compared to our ability to destory teams when we win, if we compared the number of thrashings we've handed out to the number of thrashings we've actually suffered, starting with games where we have won by more than one goal which is 3 times (Rochdale, Northampton, Barnet) compare that to the number of times we've been thrashed which again looking at the number of times we've lost by more than one goal is 3 as well (Fleetwood, Port Vale, Aldershot) so if you look at them at face value you could say they cancel each other out, leaving us with a whole heap of slight defeats and one remaining single goal win.

From just looking at the table I've whipped up there is also the point of goals, in each of our wins we have conceded a goal, we have either come from behind in games, given away sloppy goals when the team thought the game was won or not dealt with the pressure we get put under when leading by one goal. We clearly have serious problems with defending because even when we are on fire we still manage to give away goals.

Another point looking at the scoring draws, bar Wycombe (And swap the Torquay and Bristol scores as I have mixed those two up) we were leading each of those games and gave away the lead which again shows we can't hang onto leads and that is without looking at the number of defeats we have suffered when the opposition came from behind. I know that just because you take the lead doesn't mean we are expected to win and if we don't it's points dropped but the number of times we have lead games and gone onto lose or draw is worrying as we never seem to learn from our mistakes.

It depends how you look at the stats really...

Jul 6, 2011
Womble":2dseistm said:
All hail the superfan! Everything is great! We are not going down! We do not have a clueless oaf in charge!

For me this represents the general attitude on here. If any one is clueless it's probably people commenting on football who have never played a professional game in their lives and my suggestion is if you have a problem with with any part of the club is either contact James Brent directly (Nikk reckons he's very approachable) or go and support one of the teams up the road and you can tell them they're cr@p instead. Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how good a team maybe or how good the potential is, people will always find something wrong if they really want to.
I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with the set up, even I'm not that blinkered, but this club has been through a real battering and needs time to recover. If at crimble we are still in this situation I will probably be joining the rest and demanding a change myself, but I think he should be given our wholehearted support until that time, he could still surprise us.

your sincerely

ever the optimist

Aug 23, 2012
Went to both fleetwood and bradord,they aren't good teams,fleetwood especially!! They go trashed 4-1 by accrington away

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
briangreen":2dveu8ep said:
Womble":2dveu8ep said:
All hail the superfan! Everything is great! We are not going down! We do not have a clueless oaf in charge!

For me this represents the general attitude on here. If any one is clueless it's probably people commenting on football who have never played a professional game in their lives and my suggestion is if you have a problem with with any part of the club is either contact James Brent directly (Nikk reckons he's very approachable) or go and support one of the teams up the road and you can tell them they're cr@p instead. Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how good a team maybe or how good the potential is, people will always find something wrong if they really want to.
I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with the set up, even I'm not that blinkered, but this club has been through a real battering and needs time to recover. If at crimble we are still in this situation I will probably be joining the rest and demanding a change myself, but I think he should be given our wholehearted support until that time, he could still surprise us.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph Brian give or take 10 days as I will be demanding change by 15th December if things have not improved. I don't dispute that James Brent is approachable either, certainly if one is throwing money at the club like Nikkk is, I hope the same goes for the average fan. You intimate the clueless ones are those commenting on football who have never played the professional game which I agree has some merit in it. How do you feel therefore about our first team being coached by someone who never started a professional game in his life and spent his career in Western League and the league above that, some 3 to 4 levels below where we currently languish? Coupled with a lower league goalkeeper( how many keepers have made good coaches at any level?) and a rookie manager taking on a club in such turmoil is it any wonder that we are not getting the best out of our current squad?

Aug 17, 2006
briangreen":25eardob said:
Womble":25eardob said:

your sincerely

ever the optimist

We were recovering we are officially in the relegation positions based on the last 8 games. I love your optimism but when Feeney & Chadwick are on the pitch at the end at Bradford Fletcher must want to be relieved of his duties. I was there & i nearly threw up at the most stupid subbing at the end of the match.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Well said Jerryatric!

The thing about no criticism unless we have played the professional game is a bit of a weak argument if you want my opinion. 6000 fans that turn up at HP every Saturday have a right to an opinion, same as the 60,000 that turn up at Old Trafford. If the only 'fans' that were allowed an opinion were those that had played, there would be no football clubs.

It's a bit like saying an opinion on Sebastian Vettel or Fred Alonso are not valid, because despite having a driving licence, you have never driven a F1 car. Sometimes, even a non 'expert' can see what's wrong.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
There's plenty of top top ex pros who spout utter clap trap as pundits too and many have been disasters as coaches and managers. I think it is something spouted by many who have played the game largely. By and large of course their knowledge of the finer points of the game and the inner workings are greater having done it as their day job for many years but as with the average fan some are far more intelligent and perceptive than others and can put their point of view across more clearly.

Jul 9, 2008
Holsworthy
anotherfan":3ir798tp said:
I have to agree.

Frankly, it was always going to be another season of struggling. Compared the to the beginning of last year, Argyle have a better league position this year. The much vaunted "competitive budget", based on all the evidence never materialised (if it even existed in the first place).

Simply put, there's no money for players, no money for a manager, no money to pay staff, and the club is still struggling to turn break even.

The question isn't whether we need different personnel (on and off field) it's whether we can afford them. And we can't.

At the start of the season, I would have been happy with just avoiding relegation (maybe hovering just above the relegation zone for the season). I think any talk of a mid table finish or even competing on a level playing field with clubs in the playoff zone really underestimates the profound structural problems the club faces as well as the long uphill battle to become a stable ongoing concern.

A lot of people want Fletcher out (and based on results, his position is hanging by a thread), however what's the alternative? We can't afford anyone else. And even if we could afford a manager with pedigree, we can't give him a decent (or any) budget to build a team. What manager is going to want to take on that job?

I want Argyle to to well as much as the next guy, but there needs to be a bit of reality injected into the discourse.

Can I make a point.
To the people who say how Fletcher has improved us this year.
If you start last season from the time Fletcher took over and take the next 19 league games and compare it to the first 19 games this season you can see if there is an improvement.

Last season
P W D L PTS
19 5 6 8 21

This season

P W D L PTS
19 4 6 9 18

This is also with his own players that he has bought into the club, not the so called schoolboys he inherited.
So please tell me where is the improvement on last season.

Dec 19, 2008
briangreen":2skuz8ab said:
Womble":2skuz8ab said:

your sincerely

ever the optimist

I've yet to make my directorial debut in Hollywood but I can still, with quiet confidence, state that Police Academy 4 is a very poor film. I have never hurtled off a ski jump wearing skis but I would be fairly correct in saying that Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards wasn't that good. Although I do pride myself on my ability to communicate verbally, I have not addressed the American nation but I can express my general dissapointment with George W Bush's ability to string a coherent sentence together. That argument is a completely pointless get out clause for the apologists on pasoti and beyond (I've called them greentints and some have called them superfans but they're apologists).

You aren't an optimist, you're an apologist for failure.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
briangreen":32hf9bo3 said:
Womble":32hf9bo3 said:

your sincerely

ever the optimist

Oh Brian Brian Brian. I didnt wanty to bite, but your constant trolling has irritated me.

You're reply is typical someone who refuses to debate the topic. "Go and support the team up the road". Really? I have been going Argyle since the 80's, and I have never ever previously called for a managers head (not even Williamson). What an arrogant man you are to feel you have the right to decide who goes to Argyle. The mess we are in defies beleif and we need to see some action. As for "You've not played the game", well nether have you, so follow your own advice and do one.

I will admit that my orignal comment was rather juvenile, and I would have liked to have phrased it better, but I was upset at the arrogance of some supports who believe themselves to be superior to the rest.

For the record I have never seen a post where you actually discuss football, you merely constatntly critisise any posters who think things at Argyle should perhaps be doing better than they currently are.

Generally when it comes to Argyle I am a glass have full chap, but recent events have sucked any and all optomism from me. I gave p on Fletch after the total and utter abject humiliation at the hands of an assortment of boiler repair men in the FA CUp. Prior to that I was all for giving Fletch a chance, but not now. No way back I am afraid.

I still want us to win (we are in a relegation battle), but I want him gone regardless of the next few games.