The price of relegation | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The price of relegation

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":275vnrba said:
Biggs,do you really think fans would pour into Home Park if we had the best stadium in the Conference. Never heard so much rubbish.The success of the team brings fans to Home Park not the facilities.

That’s not the point. At all :lol: :banghead:

The point isn’t that the facilities are more important than the team, the point is 1) the facilities directly make the team better through various ways already outlined, 2) you are humongously, monumentally mistaken if you don’t think more people (especially families) will want to spend their Saturdays in a modern, welcoming, comfortable place than a dilapidated, concrete ruin.

More people (especially families, I’ll just re-emphasise that yet again) will come to watch a successful team in a modern stadium with all mod cons, than a successful team in a dump.

I don’t even know how this is an arguable point. For 99% of people it isn’t, so I’m not even sure why I’ve taken the time to post all that :lol:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The correlation twixt attendances and better facilities is almost unarguable. Just use Google.

I personally can’t believe there are people staying away because are ovens are old BUT as I say, the stats are there.

It’s also unarguable though that Janners are staying away from Home Park because they don’t want to witness the poor, poor performances on the pitch.

Our non attacking football is up there with the Kemp day’s at this moment in time.

Area 51 said to me a few weeks ago ‘At this rate we’ll have the best cutlery in the 4th Division’ I do hope he’s not proved right!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Might be a rubbish comparison but think of the difference between cinemas.

One old, smelly, crumbling cinema is showing a film, you have to walk through a potholed car park and weeds to get to it. A new, clean, airy multiplex with reclining seats, escalators and nice food is showing the exact same film.

Which one do you think gets more customers? And again, think of families especially. Believe it or not, not everyone is like us core fans who will turn up no matter what and whose sole focus is the football.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Biggs":27u8zo6x said:
Might be a rubbish comparison but think of the difference between cinemas.

One old, smelly, crumbling cinema is showing a film, you have to walk through a potholed car park and weeds to get to it. A new, clean, airy multiplex with reclining seats, escalators and nice food is showing the exact same film.

Which one do you think gets more customers? And again, think of families especially. Believe it or not, not everyone is like us core fans who will turn up no matter what and whose sole focus is the football.

I’d watch the film in the cinema with the cheaper tickets, free parking and the film was shown at a good time for me.. ;)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
IJN":3e2paza5 said:
The correlation twixt attendances and better facilities is almost unarguable. Just use Google.

I personally can’t believe there are people staying away because are ovens are old BUT as I say, the stats are there.

It’s also unarguable though that Janners are staying away from Home Park because they don’t want to witness the poor, poor performances on the pitch.

Our non attacking football is up there with the Kemp day’s at this moment in time.

Area 51 said to me a few weeks ago ‘At this rate we’ll have the best cutlery in the 4th Division’ I do hope he’s not proved right!

I’m not staying away because my oven is old..

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs, no idea how old you are but you live in a fantasy world. I cannot believe that anybody would think about the stadium if we were playing decent football or against top opposition.If you want comfort try going to the Theatre Royal for your entainment. Ian, how can anyone prove that a modern stadium gets more people through the turnstiles?Surely it depends on what you are watching.Sorry but don't believe it.You can twist stats to prove anything,ask Adams!

I imagine that part of the remit in improving the grandstand was not just spectator comfort but, crucially, facilities for players. As others have alluded to, if the player came here to view the facilities and saw how poor they were, the chances of him signing are significantly decreased. Improve the facilities, improve the standard of players we get, improve the team, improve results. To me it's a no-brainer.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":yyp1sxgo said:
Biggs, no idea how old you are but you live in a fantasy world. I cannot believe that anybody would think about the stadium if we were playing decent football or against top opposition.If you want comfort try going to the Theatre Royal for your entainment. Ian, how can anyone prove that a modern stadium gets more people through the turnstiles?Surely it depends on what you are watching.Sorry but don't believe it.You can twist stats to prove anything,ask Adams!

You continue to miss the point spectacularly.

My brain is struggling to fathom how you can’t see the difference between attractive, modern, comfortable facilities that are nice to spend three hours in... and decrepit, crumbling, out of date environment that isn’t.

Jul 12, 2016
As you seem afraid to give your age away I can only assume that our views are from different generations. You will never convince me so lets agree to differ.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":2qya6pjc said:
Bit worried looking at the decline in our crowds this season.. we were getting over 9,500, now it’s about 8,500..

After 6 six games last season the average attendance was 8,889. This season the average is 9,011.

In my day that was an INCREASE in attendances.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
But if I am from a different generation (I probably am, in my 30s) then that just highlights the point! You might not care about the comfort and mod cons, but families, women and young people do.

The club are on a concerted drive to attract those people. And of course, making the place as nice as possible for existing fans as well.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":k637b5ux said:
But if I am from a different generation (I probably am, in my 30s) then that just highlights the point! You might not care about the comfort and mod cons, but families, women and young people do.

The club are on a concerted drive to attract those people. And of course, making the place as nice as possible for existing fans as well.

As a non Argyle football supporter who goes to HP simply for the football on occasions, I will admit facilities have put me off going at times especially midweek games. Having worked all day it would be nice to have a decent meal and then take in a game. Not a pasty or a pie but something decent and substantial with a proper coffee that doesn't come in a disposable cup.

Jul 13, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":m1r51biu said:
JannerinCardiff":m1r51biu said:
Bit worried looking at the decline in our crowds this season.. we were getting over 9,500, now it’s about 8,500..

After 6 six games last season the average attendance was 8,889. This season the average is 9,011.

Which goes to prove you can prove anything with statistics. At that stage last season we had already played Charlton, and another big/ local team I think who I can't be arsed to check. We haven't played anyone big or local at home yet.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
foreigner":1f6u16k2 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1f6u16k2 said:
JannerinCardiff":1f6u16k2 said:

Which goes to prove you can prove anything with statistics. At that stage last season we had already played Charlton, and another big/ local team I think who I can't be arsed to check. We haven't played anyone big or local at home yet.

So many variables with this argument, I think if you factored in away fans, the weather, what was on TV, what was in the cinema etc you might get near to something indisputable.

The difference this year may be influenced by more supporters getting season tickets to guarantee a seat whereas last year that was less of a problem. As season ticket holders are probably included, attending or not, these numbers need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

May 16, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":3bh6qt78 said:
Biggs":3bh6qt78 said:

As a non Argyle football supporter who goes to HP simply for the football on occasions, I will admit facilities have put me off going at times especially midweek games. Having worked all day it would be nice to have a decent meal and then take in a game. Not a pasty or a pie but something decent and substantial with a proper coffee that doesn't come in a disposable cup.

There are Restaurants and Cafe's in Plymouth these days. Ive seen them. You could eat in one, have a coffee then hail yourself and get a Cab to the Ground.