The price of relegation | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The price of relegation

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
oddball":pr5xdst7 said:
[.£100K in Daniel's day is £6 million today.
Al, why do you ALWAYS do that, use a fictitious "fact" in your argument.

Look up the inflation facts and you are so wildly out it's laughable.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":c6o8lz0w said:
If the team are playing attractive football and winning games I suggest most fans couldn't give a monkeys about how dilapidated the ground is. Conversely whats the point of a nice modern stadium with a rubbish team?

I’m not sure I could disagree more.

Are you seriously saying it doesn’t matter how dilapidated the ground is? With the club’s drive to get more families attending, are you seriously saying the likelihood of going along to watch a successful team in a complete dump, is the same as watching a successful team in a modern, welcoming, comfortable atmosphere with all mod cons? Of course it isn’t.

And what do you think prospective players think about their day jobs taking place in a dilapidated 1950s ruin, when they could be in a state of the art facility somewhere closer to home?

There’s a middle ground between rubbish team+modern stadium, and great team+dilapidated ground. Which is great team+modern stadium, both serving each other in a virtuous circle.

I’m stunned at people who don’t recognise the urgent, critical importance of the grandstand redevelopment.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN":cixsik7a said:
oddball":cixsik7a said:
[.£100K in Daniel's day is £6 million today.
Al, why do you ALWAYS do that, use a fictitious "fact" in your argument.

Look up the inflation facts and you are so wildly out it's laughable.
IJN the point of the argument is just the same though...an interest free loan or a loan repayable at current market rates....your nit picking...in Daniels day you had philanthropists looking to do their best for the club ...now you have directors looking to do the best for themselves...

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
cheshiregreen":2dz944x4 said:
£100,000 in 1977 roughly equivalent to £600,000 now according to a Google search.
And the 100k I referred to was quite some time after 1977.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Do you not believe that Simon & Jane could have invested their money and got a far better return (not to mention safer) than with us?

Meanwhile, our club benefits.

It's called symbiosis Alan, look it up. I'm here to educate.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN we could argue this all night....you know if Simon Hallett was a lifelong Argyle fan then why didn't he pop up when we were in the throws of admin, rather than JB who to put it himself was not an Argyle fan at the time, Simon Hallett would have been aware, Secondly why not an interest free loan considering he said himself that he was a life long Argyle fan rather than a loan at current market rates...which is committing the club to 30 years of repayments...

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
So not only are you saying we don’t even need a new grandstand, but you’re having an (implied at least) pop at the bloke who’s putting up 7 odd million quid for it!

Unbelievable, Jeff.

And he did make a sizeable contribution during admin, didn’t he?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
The club is not in the position to afford a new grandstand,however much the directors would like it to happen.The fans myself included are much more concerned with what happens on the pitch.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yes, and surely you can see the link between a redeveloped grandstand and what gets put on the pitch. The old grandstand has been holding us back on and off that pitch.

Even if you completely omit the extra income the facilities will make, modern facilities are absolutely essential to attract extra fans and better players.

Remember that Football Focus feature that basically concentrated on how shocking our facilities were? The difference between ‘wow this is nice’ and ‘wow this is a 5hithole’ is massive.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Whilst I’d of preferred a bigger grandstand (with corners), the main output of the grandstand is the conference suite that can hold big events. That’s where it will bring in the 1mill extra revenue that’s been

1 mill doesn’t sound a lot but that’s the difference between our squad now and 4 more Graham Carey’s... we’d certainly be better prepared to mount a challenge to get to the championship one day.

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs,do you really think fans would pour into Home Park if we had the best stadium in the Conference. Never heard so much rubbish.The success of the team brings fans to Home Park not the facilities.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
oldage":1ruowso6 said:
Biggs,do you really think fans would pour into Home Park if we had the best stadium in the Conference. Never heard so much rubbish.The success of the team brings fans to Home Park not the facilities.

Not sure I agree with that. With all football development there is a case of 'build it and they will come'. New stands in Premier League teams tend to sell out rapidly.

The same could be said of Argyle if one looks at the horseshoe. Though there is some difficulty in comparing season on season (we were promoted after completion), it's interesting to note that our last season in the bottom tier in the old Home Park showed an average attendance of 4944 (finished 12th). Our worst seasons in the bottom tier with the horseshoe (21st in 11/12 and 12/13) shows an average of around 7000. (Thanks GoS).

Different times as well, but my sense is that the development of the horseshoe definitely improved attendances based on customer experience and wider appeal to families.

Jul 12, 2016
I have not heard of anybody not going to Home Park because of the facilities but plenty staying home cause of the awful football being played.Premiership clubs get bigger attendances because of more attractive opposition.