The Grandstand is kicking off | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Grandstand is kicking off

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Keepitgreen":pyhf8td5 said:
Mark58":pyhf8td5 said:
I'm dead chuffed to have read through the thread and found out what was actually meant by "The Grandstand is kicking off". My heart sank when I saw the title because my immediate reaction was to take "kicking off" in its colloquial sense of beginning to turn into an ugly conflict. Perhaps being an Argyle fan for so long has conditioned me to always expect the worst from headlines, so I'm delighted to be surprised in a good way here. Excellent news - bring it on!!
It's just like the Herald's clickbait. :)
Last week, I was a 'trawler', now I'm a 'clickbaiter'. ;) ;)

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Biggs":376txrm2 said:
I’m being incredibly picky here, but ever so slightly disappointed that the shop isn’t a purpose-built...well... building rather than a structure dropped in behind the facade. I’d like to see whether the current turnstiles will act as an entry, or if there’s a gap between the facade and structure.

Still a great idea though, and hoping it will still look the part.

And the main thing is that the bulk of funds go towards the actual stand :thumbup:

McDonalds restaurants are built off site, in sections, and dropped into place. Most modern houses are built in sections away from site too.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Monster Green":3q4oge6r said:
Biggs":3q4oge6r said:
I’m being incredibly picky here, but ever so slightly disappointed that the shop isn’t a purpose-built...well... building rather than a structure dropped in behind the facade. I’d like to see whether the current turnstiles will act as an entry, or if there’s a gap between the facade and structure.

Still a great idea though, and hoping it will still look the part.

And the main thing is that the bulk of funds go towards the actual stand :thumbup:

McDonalds restaurants are built off site, in sections, and dropped into place. Most modern houses are built in sections away from site too.

Hmmm, I’m not sure the McDonalds analogy strengthens any argument. If anything having a lovely Art Deco style facade next to a Maccies-type pre-fab will be a bit naff.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Modular buildings make so much sense.

I used them for many years as offices all over the country and not one member of staff ever complained.

May 8, 2011
Chancellor said:
This is just embarrassing.

What are people getting excited about, a new portacabin ffs!!!!!!!!!!!![

You should see people on other message boards getting all excited because they think GL Events only do temporary buildings and seating, now that is embarrassing.

Jul 29, 2012
Not embarrassing at all . Modular building is particularly useful if sites are confined and they can accelerate the build process especially when there is a shortage of resources eg bricks and labour. The new block of student flats which are nearly complete opposite the Walrus were built that way . The physical site is tight and “the flats” were constructed off site and brought down on lorries . They were then craned into position at night when the roads were quiet .

It wouldn’t surprise me if the new conference facilities were built in the same way . In concrete sections which then fit onto the flooring and fit together . It means they can be built while any demolition works and ground works are done plus any other works being done - there will be a lot of levelling to be done at the back of the grandstand - and modular potentially speeds the build and fitout process .

Apr 15, 2015
HC Green":16l15swd said:
Chancellor":16l15swd said:
This is just embarrassing.

What are people getting excited about, a new portacabin ffs!!!!!!!!!!!![

You should see people on other message boards getting all excited because they think GL Events only do temporary buildings and seating, now that is embarrassing.

GLs modular “temporary” structures are a bit more advanced than Portacabins. Take a look at Watford’s Sir Elton John stand. I was there last Saturday and it feels anything but temporary. However it was commissioned to reopen that side of the ground ASAP while allowing future expansion.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... cs/1960947

May 16, 2016
If its good enough system for Hilton to build a high turnover Airport Hotel with. I'm sure its good enough for the selling of a load of overpriced goods and tickets for those that feel the need to occasionally venture in there.

Oct 31, 2015
Modular buildings are used everywhere nowadays so people can stop panicking. Even Liverpools changing rooms were built with modular construction.

Breeze blocks are so 1960's there are many ways now to buid permanent structures.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I’ve no idea about modern construction methods but I wasn’t surprised to read the comments from Grumpy and Chancellor.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Remember people when the usual suspects ‘attack’ this, it’s not really the buildings they're attacking is it?

:yawn:

We’ll get this every step of the way.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
With the modern materials available today it would be better and more cost effective to have a complete rebuild of the grandstand instead of a refurbishment.

N

NorfolkGreen

Is the store and ticket office going to be roughly where it was behind the iconic turnstiles?