The Grandstand is kicking off | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Grandstand is kicking off

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Some of you guys have got to stop looking at the pictures and read the words it would be far more cost saving to completely demolish the grandstand and replace it with a modern modular construction.

dunlop":p66xx3tq said:
Some of you guys have got to stop looking at the pictures and read the words it would be far more cost saving to completely demolish the grandstand and replace it with a modern modular construction.

Yes, it would. However, there is also the desire to retain the historical aspect of the existing grandstand. Personally, I believe that is the correct decision, whilst acknowledging that it also hamstrings us in terms of how much we get for our money.

A

andyr1963

Biggs":37ejgydd said:
andyr1963":37ejgydd said:
£5 Million gets plastic seats in the Grandstand, seats on the Mayflower Terrace. It does not get the extended roof over the Front of the Mayflower Terrace. It does not get the corners filled in. It does not get the connected roof.
Not sure on the capacity figures.

Nope, it’s more than that. £5 million gets a complete rebuild of the lower tier incl new seats, a completely new extension containing the conferencing and banqueting centre, a complete refit of the whole stand and replacement of player facilities to the GS/BP corner, a new club shop and ticket office, and a new roof that extends the stand to the Barn Park corner. Phase 2 sees that roof extended over the lower tier seating, but it’s still a new roof in Phase 1.

Dismissing it as new seats and a lick of paint (not saying you have, but some are doing so) is grossly misleading. You only have to look at the old and new floor plans side by side, to see it will effectively be a different place.

It’s actually good news for me that Phase 2 and the GTs bar are on top of the £5m required above. It means that £5m can be concentrated on the most important and urgent elements now, with the eventual result incl Phase 2 more like a 10m facility. Plus the multi-million redevelopment of the HHP area, and it will look light years better than it does now.

You have put it far more accurately than me, thanks. A whole load of people still seem to think the corners are to be filled and the roof extended in Phase 1, including another season ticket holder who sits near me in the Lyndhurst.
If it gets done next season then it is a good start, nothing more, it will still look half finished until Phase 2 is complete. Personally I am not holding my breath, having waited far too long since the horseshoe was done fifteen years ago, another ten years at least for completion given its history.

COYG :scarf:

Sep 17, 2017
The roof will cover approximately a third of the lower tier seating during phase 1,

During Phase 2, the corner structures will form part of the support for the roof extension,

I think that’s right, if not you can bet your last pound I’ll be corrected !!

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Standing (and later sitting) on the Mayflower Terrace you had to be right at the back to avoid the rain.

So as the roof is I understand not being extended outwards in phase 1 then most of the new seats will be open to the elements.