The corner between the new grandstand and Devonport ends | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The corner between the new grandstand and Devonport ends

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Biggs":l9xuxcmj said:
One more that massively prefers the upper tier of the grandstand.

Not racist and not a pensioner, simply go for the best view.

Agreed. I miss the great view I had form our seats there. So looking forward to going back.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I am an OAP (by a few months) and certainly not a racists (apart from Scousers). I much prefer the Grandstand.

Saying that I'm in with a cracking bunch of blokes in Block 12, but I can't wait to get back up into the Gods.

Having done EVERY part of HP, I can honestly say there's not a bad part to be seen.

Jul 18, 2018
WIll be nice the grandstand reopening. It does create an atmosphere, maybe not vocally but there’s just something about having a traditional stand full of lifelong supporters. Might just be me.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
X Isle":9jvlprth said:
Are the floodlights being uprated as part of the refurbishment?
According to JonB a while back (in the other other forum I think) no lights are being put on the Grandstand. If I recall correctly a set like on the BP end will be fitted to the DP.

Mar 23, 2019
X Isle":2smjrxep said:
Alan-Frost":2smjrxep said:
How about some decent floodlights so i can see what is going on!.
Never got a definitive answer when I raised this previously.

When the horseshoe was done we were told the fitted 'lux' was much much brighter but had to be dimmed down to match the lux on the Grandstand side. We were told that when the ground was completed and the Grandstand side was uprated too, the whole brightness could be raised considerably.

That would solve the problem.

Re: the 'atmosphere' of the upper Grandstand. You do not get a better view of the football anywhere else. You also get to sit without anyone banging a drum, without anyone trying to impose chanting, without anyone standing up, without anyone smelling of clearasil and without anyone whose Argyle knowledge doesn't stretch further back than the post administration period.

You pays yer money you takes yer choice, and thank heavens for it. We don't drive all the way down and spend all the ime and money we do to have the action spoilt by any or all of the above, things that come with the territory for 'atmosphere' these days.

Keep poo pooing the upper Grandstand though, create all manner of horror stories and make it sound as unappealing as possible. It leaves more room for those who just want to fully immerse themselves in the game without all the bollox.

Why do you actually come? The Footballs absolutely terrible so that can't be the answer... If those things 'spoil' it for you, then maybe Football isn't the sport for you.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Action Jackson":1spdaz1h said:
Why do you actually come? The Footballs absolutely terrible so that can't be the answer... If those things 'spoil' it for you, then maybe Football isn't the sport for you.

If you consider where he lives, you will realise he doesn't come very often any more.

Hint: Check out the avatar.

May 16, 2016
Action Jackson":1i5zd8ev said:
X Isle":1i5zd8ev said:
Alan-Frost":1i5zd8ev said:

When the horseshoe was done we were told the fitted 'lux' was much much brighter but had to be dimmed down to match the lux on the Grandstand side. We were told that when the ground was completed and the Grandstand side was uprated too, the whole brightness could be raised considerably.

Re: the 'atmosphere' of the upper Grandstand. You do not get a better view of the football anywhere else. You also get to sit without anyone banging a drum, without anyone trying to impose chanting, without anyone standing up, without anyone smelling of clearasil and without anyone whose Argyle knowledge doesn't stretch further back than the post administration period.

You pays yer money you takes yer choice, and thank heavens for it. We don't drive all the way down and spend all the ime and money we do to have the action spoilt by any or all of the above, things that come with the territory for 'atmosphere' these days.

Keep poo pooing the upper Grandstand though, create all manner of horror stories and make it sound as unappealing as possible. It leaves more room for those who just want to fully immerse themselves in the game without all the bollox.

The Grandstand is for those that still believe they are 'Grand' themselves, something to do with being able to look down on people. I sit opposite and funnily enough, whilst not surrounded by spot squeezers, there are those with limited knowledge of Argyle before Administration, as keen as anything and willing to stump up cash to keep the Club going. I call them the ''future', eventually, their full priced tickets will subsidise the discounted prices those that struggle to get up the steps will pay. One day, they might migrate to that side and look down on a patch of trees and chunter about how they remember when that was just an untidy weed patch and Twitter's not what it was.

Typical Argyle.

Jul 29, 2010
Argylegames":3mtgzdhx said:
X Isle":3mtgzdhx said:
According to JonB a while back (in the other other forum I think) no lights are being put on the Grandstand. If I recall correctly a set like on the BP end will be fitted to the DP.
Thank you.

I guess they don't have to go 'on' the Grandstand per se, just be uprated on that side of the pitch, but that doesn't on the face of it sound encouraging for lifting the lux across the whole ground.

NB - For the record I haven't moved anywhere, I do not live in Cuba.

Oct 31, 2015
Action Jackson":1e86k8t0 said:
X Isle":1e86k8t0 said:
Alan-Frost":1e86k8t0 said:

Like :thumbup:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Guiri Green":2hf4wavr said:
The Grandstand is for those that still believe they are 'Grand' themselves, something to do with being able to look down on people. I sit opposite and funnily enough, whilst not surrounded by spot squeezers, there are those with limited knowledge of Argyle before Administration, as keen as anything and willing to stump up cash to keep the Club going. I call them the ''future', eventually, their full priced tickets will subsidise the discounted prices those that struggle to get up the steps will pay. One day, they might migrate to that side and look down on a patch of trees and chunter about how they remember when that was just an untidy weed patch and Twitter's not what it was.

Typical Argyle.

Sorry, but that is a completely bizarre post. We're now judging fans based on where they choose to sit?

Pre-redevelopment, I sat in the grandstand and loved it every time. Walking through the old turnstiles that I have a huge emotional attachment to for various reasons, ambling up those concrete stairs past the old No Smoking and Mind Your Head signs, stepping up onto the terracing and seeing the horseshoe (which looks really impressive from there) and pitch slowly emerge never gets old, taking my wooden seat somewhere where generations of fans and my old family members have sat for decades, with the best view in the house and occasionally looking over to the directors area and back up to the press box.

One of my strongest ever Argyle memories is when we got relegated into League 2 during administration, I stayed behind clapping the players and staff for ages and one of the only other people left was a little old lady at the front simply holding her scarf up. Just found that image of defiance and support incredibly moving, and it's memories like that the grandstand holds for me.

I think it's a fantastic place to watch a game of football, and I can't wait to get back.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Biggs":2g69fbtc said:
Guiri Green":2g69fbtc said:

Typical Argyle.

Sorry, but that is a completely bizarre post. We're now judging fans based on where they choose to sit?

Pre-redevelopment, I sat in the grandstand and loved it every time. Walking through the old turnstiles that I have a huge emotional attachment to for various reasons, ambling up those concrete stairs past the old No Smoking and Mind Your Head signs, stepping up onto the terracing and seeing the horseshoe (which looks really impressive from there) and pitch slowly emerge never gets old, taking my wooden seat somewhere where generations of fans and my old family members have sat for decades, with the best view in the house and occasionally looking over to the directors area and back up to the press box.

One of my strongest ever Argyle memories is when we got relegated into League 2 during administration, I stayed behind clapping the players and staff for ages and one of the only other people left was a little old lady at the front simply holding her scarf up. Just found that image of defiance and support incredibly moving, and it's memories like that the grandstand holds for me.

I think it's a fantastic place to watch a game of football, and I can't wait to get back.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
" ... eventually, their full priced tickets will subsidise the discounted prices those that struggle to get up the steps will pay."

As a 'Senior' Argyle supporter, I find that quite offensive tbh!
Perhaps when they've paid for 54+ years they too will expect a little respect and recognition from the ankle biters? :think:

May 16, 2016
Pogleswoody":1owb6825 said:
" ... eventually, their full priced tickets will subsidise the discounted prices those that struggle to get up the steps will pay."

As a 'Senior' Argyle supporter, I find that quite offensive tbh!
Perhaps when they've paid for 54+ years they too will expect a little respect and recognition from the ankle biters? :think:

Maybe this was found to be a little offensive too...

"You also get to sit without anyone banging a drum, without anyone trying to impose chanting, without anyone standing up, without anyone smelling of clearasil and without anyone whose Argyle knowledge doesn't stretch further back than the post administration period."

Just being older than someone doesn't make anyone better. Jesting or otherwise.