The corner between the new grandstand and Devonport ends | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The corner between the new grandstand and Devonport ends

Mar 23, 2019
oldage":2089790u said:
Biggs":2089790u said:
oldage":2089790u said:
Its all about priorities. "Football in a nice place makes the whole experience a whole lot better" You're having a laugh. We are in the current mess because we have overlooked the most important thing which is the first team. I have supported Argyle in driving rain in January and still enjoyed the football. It might be an old fashioned view but who cares if we have the smartest ground in league 2? :banghead:

It IS all about priorities. And while relegation is crap, that's one short term step back while the grandstand redevelopment is 10 long term steps forward. In five years time, we could have been in League 2 with no grandstand looking back thinking 'god why didn't we make a short term sacrifice to make the whole club stronger and better in the long term?'

The following to me seems an incontrovertible fact... that the long-term future of Plymouth Argyle in League 2 with the grandstand redevelopment, is much better than the long-term future of Plymouth Argyle in League 1 without it.

Oh, and more people are attracted to a nice environment than a rubbish one. You don't care, but the crucial point is that other people do.

Time will tell as nothing has been proved yet.
True supporters back Argyle regardless of the whether the corners are filled in,prawn sandwiches are available or its raining. Why are we suddenly a nation of wimps?
If you want a nice environment go to the Theatre Royal in the warmth.

Struggling to find the correlation with these points and filling in the corners of the stadium to make it look far, far nicer

Bloody nation of wimps wanting to improve facilities and maximise the potential of our club. :furious:

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Shankster":13mxy0ai said:
I like the gap, during dull periods of the match and they are oft many, it allows me to gaze out beyond the stadium to the wider world and watch people pass by

We used to count the seagulls on the roof of the grandstand in dull moments. Hopefully they will return when the new roof is done.

Oct 16, 2016
David_Fisher":2k42ztl4 said:
Shankster":2k42ztl4 said:
I like the gap, during dull periods of the match and they are oft many, it allows me to gaze out beyond the stadium to the wider world and watch people pass by

We used to count the seagulls on the roof of the grandstand in dull moments. Hopefully they will return when the new roof is done.
I’d welcome something different like an outside gym that schedules aerobics from 1500 on match days

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not up to date, unfortunately.

There aren't ANY plans beyond what's there now, the plan was to get the temporary control room there and that was it. So it seems completely open to ideas, but the astro-turf and emblem mentioned above sounds an attractive and easy fix, especially as that corner will have cameras pointed at it possibly more often than any area of the pitch.

Or leave the jutting edge of concrete and weeds as it is if you're a real man and don't care about these things :twisted:

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Action Jackson":1x5iv3fh said:
dennis the menace":1x5iv3fh said:
The corner needs a big dose of weed killer, raked flat and a bit of artificial grass put down with a PAFC emblem on it. Cheap and attractive remedy for the time being!

Great idea.

Who is the Pasoti voice of the fans to approach the club with this idea?

Here’s a novel idea why not email the CEO and ask the question yourself. :thumbup:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":2137ffpx said:
Not up to date, unfortunately.

There aren't ANY plans beyond what's there now, the plan was to get the temporary control room there and that was it. So it seems completely open to ideas, but the astro-turf and emblem mentioned above sounds an attractive and easy fix, especially as that corner will have cameras pointed at it possibly more often than any area of the pitch.

Or leave the jutting edge of concrete and weeds as it is if you're a real man and don't care about these things :twisted:
I thought I read somewhere recently that Argyle were considering the corners as possible safe standing areas, although there were no dates given for this.

Safe standing is certainly coming and sooner rather than later. It will really take off once one or two of the bigger clubs install it and it is seen to be popular as well as a lot safer for the many thousands of fans who stand every week in seating areas and we no longer have the hassle associated with that particular issue.

A number of clubs with far bigger stadiums than ours are planning to install it. Wolves are going to have it on the new South Bank at Molineux to replicate what they had for many years prior to going all-seater. Anyone who can remember the old Molineux South Bank will know the massive terracing behind the goal was an awesome sight.

I appreciate that it will require legislation to re-introduce standing but it will happen.

Personally, I think Argyle missed a trick big time by not planning to install safe safe standing on the Mayflower Terrace. It was very short-sighted and showed a lack of foresight to jus put seats there. We can’t do anything with the 2002-built horseshoe without ripping it out but we could easily have done safe standing on the Mayflower Terrace as it really lends itself to it.

I would say that from our 9000 or so crowds, at least 2500 would prefer to stand if they had the option. It would also reduce ticket prices for that area by perhaps a fiver which might encourage more people to come. I also think the atmosphere inside Home Park would be significantly better with a few thousand standing spectators all down one side of the ground.

The Mayflower has not been used for several seasons so another couple of years wouldn’t have made too much difference and maybe the Grandstand project might have come in on budget if we hadn’t included the Mayflower seats.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It’s the worst possible place for standing.

The whole idea of the grandstand lower tier is for a premium experience with the best view, and the best place for the standing when it does happen is behind the goals. To say 1) that’s the best place for standing, and 2) delay the whole project to wait for permission, indefinitely sacrificing all the lost hospitality, conferencing and posh seats revenue would be insanity.

Go on, criticise that as well. Is there ANYTHING you like about this development?

Jul 12, 2016
Action Jackson":zvd8dyqb said:
oldage":zvd8dyqb said:
Biggs":zvd8dyqb said:
oldage":zvd8dyqb said:
Its all about priorities. "Football in a nice place makes the whole experience a whole lot better" You're having a laugh. We are in the current mess because we have overlooked the most important thing which is the first team. I have supported Argyle in driving rain in January and still enjoyed the football. It might be an old fashioned view but who cares if we have the smartest ground in league 2? :banghead:

It IS all about priorities. And while relegation is crap, that's one short term step back while the grandstand redevelopment is 10 long term steps forward. In five years time, we could have been in League 2 with no grandstand looking back thinking 'god why didn't we make a short term sacrifice to make the whole club stronger and better in the long term?'

The following to me seems an incontrovertible fact... that the long-term future of Plymouth Argyle in League 2 with the grandstand redevelopment, is much better than the long-term future of Plymouth Argyle in League 1 without it.

Oh, and more people are attracted to a nice environment than a rubbish one. You don't care, but the crucial point is that other people do.

Time will tell as nothing has been proved yet.
True supporters back Argyle regardless of the whether the corners are filled in,prawn sandwiches are available or its raining. Why are we suddenly a nation of wimps?
If you want a nice environment go to the Theatre Royal in the warmth.

Struggling to find the correlation with these points and filling in the corners of the stadium to make it look far, far nicer

Bloody nation of wimps wanting to improve facilities and maximise the potential of our club. :furious:

Let me try to explain ,Argyle is a football club first and foremost
and whilst any potential additional income from the refurbished grandstand is welcome I cannot understand this desire to waste money on making further "nice to have" rather than essential improvements. My reference to wimps is because older fans were quite prepared to go without in order to see attractive football and Argyle winning. It seems today that a nice stadium is more important to some fans than the football being played.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":33ixnr1n said:
It’s the worst possible place for standing.

The whole idea of the grandstand lower tier is for a premium experience with the best view, and the best place for the standing when it does happen is behind the goals. To say 1) that’s the best place for standing, and 2) delay the whole project to wait for permission, indefinitely sacrificing all the lost hospitality, conferencing and posh seats revenue would be insanity.

Go on, criticise that as well. Is there ANYTHING you like about this development?
Are you trolling me? Why do you always react so aggressively to anything I post?

For the record, I believe there will be only a limited number of so-called premium experience seats at the back of the new Mayflower seating. How can sitting in the wind and rain watching Division 4 football be a premium experience?

I would expect most of the hospitality clientele to be in the comfort of the Grandstand or in the new boxes.

Are you serious advocating ripping out the Devonport End seats to install safe standing?

There is even less chance of that happening than seeing the corners filled in.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
IJN":looc5ztr said:
Action Jackson":looc5ztr said:
Who is the Pasoti voice of the fans to approach the club with this idea?

There isn't one. Quite rightly too.

Others can 'represent' us fans if they want, all this site does is gives people the chance to voice their opinion to other fans.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Do you think delaying the whole grandstand project indefinitely while we wait to put safe standing in an unsuitable part of the ground is more realistic and economical than simply replacing some seats in the Devonport end when we’re eventually actually allowed to?

I’m unclear on why that latter option is far-fetched in any way, compared to your slightly more drastic proposal of halting the whole redevelopment.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, the point is to make that corner look good NOW, before any seating or standing developments at all. Astro turf with some sort of emblem or wording on it would look classy, green and football-y :)

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Action Jackson":nbnlyzqq said:
Mat":nbnlyzqq said:
Action Jackson":nbnlyzqq said:
I was watching Sky Sports News the other day and they were covering something on the MLS and behind their goal they had these really nice Marquees... I know this is hard to believe but they actually looked really smart!

I'll try and find which ground this is to show a picture, it wouldn't be too expensive to get something like that up and would cover the horrid site.

Maybe someone with a better knowledge of the MLS could help me out?

If not, potentially some big waterproof flags!

Do you mean like the covering of the upper tier of BC Place?

BC_Place_2011.jpg

No, they were actual Marquees. Although that doesn't look terrible!

Avaya Stadium in San Jose, I expect then

Epicenter050617_JohnTodd%20%2829%29.JPG

Oct 16, 2016
This obsession with stadia, I’m wondering how many stadia the collective have visited?

Wembley is a soulless behemoth (many of you will have been there)
The Emptyhad is an echoing chamber
Old Trafford from the stands is like watching subbuteo
The top of the main stand at Anfield is soulless and sells pizza pieces
The Camp Nou is a crumbling mess, you can’t see the top layers from the gods

Modern stadia, even at the supposed zenith are shameful libraries