The corner between the new grandstand and Devonport ends | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The corner between the new grandstand and Devonport ends

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Now that they have excavated the area in front of the control room could there be enough space for a small food vending kiosk for Mayflower Stand fans coming down the steps/filtering in from the Devonport end (if that is allowed) and about to take their seats?

Whatever they do, I would guess that advertising is going to feature as that area is going to be on tv and therefore worth ££££ to the club.

Oct 31, 2015
Shankster":35tppn47 said:
This obsession with stadia, I’m wondering how many stadia the collective have visited?

Wembley is a soulless behemoth (many of you will have been there)
The Emptyhad is an echoing chamber
Old Trafford from the stands is like watching subbuteo
The top of the main stand at Anfield is soulless and sells pizza pieces
The Camp Nou is a crumbling mess, you can’t see the top layers from the gods

Modern stadia, even at the supposed zenith are shameful libraries

Blimey I agree with Shankster :shock:

I have been very lucky in my time to go to a lot of big grounds. The Spanish know how to create an atmosphere but the grounds are old. Our premiership big grounds are soulless and meh. Anfield, Etihad, Old Trafford, Emirates are all concrete libraries for most of the time and as Shankster said it's like watching subbuteo from the higher areas.

Don't get me started on Wembley I can't stand the place, difficult to get to, I have never been there with a decent Atmosphere and again soulless.

The midland clubs have good stadiums, and Everton's is enjoyable. I bet Bournemouths is superb when the crowd get going as it's packed and tight weekly. I have not been to Swansea or Cardiff but I suspect there is a tug at the heart strings for the vetch or Ninion park from the old timers.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Which is exactly why Home Park is going to look so good compared to those soulless stadiums. I can't think of anywhere that will combine old and new in the way we're doing... maybe Fenway Park in Boston on a bigger scale, or what Everton did with the Leitch designed Bullens Road stand (even then the rest of the ground is pretty old, whereas ours is all modern).

Not sure what point Shankster was making, to be honest. Cleaning up weeds and exposed concrete makes your stadium soulless?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
St Andrews is quite cool, as is Valley Parade and Ewood Park, all have modern bits and older stands combined.

220px-StAndrew%27s_Main_Stand_and_Clock.JPG

Oct 16, 2016
For some reason I generally correlate atmosphere to steep sided terraces (standing or sitting) as that’s where it is generally best in my opinion. The top of the grandstand would be my idea of a nightmare, there is no way on earth such places provide an atmosphere or exciting experience

Oct 31, 2015
Shankster":1a7r4ffl said:
For some reason I generally correlate atmosphere to steep sided terraces (standing or sitting) as that’s where it is generally best in my opinion. The top of the grandstand would be my idea of a nightmare, there is no way on earth such places provide an atmosphere or exciting experience
Has the grandstand ever created an atmosphere at HP :funny:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I just can't wait for there to be actual people on that touchline, even if they're sitting in silence and clapping it will be a massive improvement to the atmosphere just having four sides of fans.

On a related note, if you want steep stands with an incredible atmosphere, try the Mestalla in Valencia. Now that's a football stadium.

Jul 29, 2010
Alan-Frost":1bvmvd6k said:
How about some decent floodlights so i can see what is going on!.
Never got a definitive answer when I raised this previously.

When the horseshoe was done we were told the fitted 'lux' was much much brighter but had to be dimmed down to match the lux on the Grandstand side. We were told that when the ground was completed and the Grandstand side was uprated too, the whole brightness could be raised considerably.

Are the floodlights being uprated as part of the refurbishment?

That would solve the problem.

Re: the 'atmosphere' of the upper Grandstand. You do not get a better view of the football anywhere else. You also get to sit without anyone banging a drum, without anyone trying to impose chanting, without anyone standing up, without anyone smelling of clearasil and without anyone whose Argyle knowledge doesn't stretch further back than the post administration period.

You pays yer money you takes yer choice, and thank heavens for it. We don't drive all the way down and spend all the ime and money we do to have the action spoilt by any or all of the above, things that come with the territory for 'atmosphere' these days.

Keep poo pooing the upper Grandstand though, create all manner of horror stories and make it sound as unappealing as possible. It leaves more room for those who just want to fully immerse themselves in the game without all the bollox.

May 7, 2019
Argylegames":3liidf3i said:
rsp4":3liidf3i said:
Has the grandstand ever created an atmosphere at HP :funny:

Depends if you call a lot of moaning 'atmosphere' :coat:

In Grandstandese... ahem... BLEDDY RUBBISH!

I've cracked it, guys. Look to Chase Field in Phoenix for the solution...

maxresdefault.jpg

Might be a bit chilly in the Winter though!!! ;)

Oct 16, 2016
What is interesting is that if the pseudo-racist Neanderthals (it’s a fact that they are a very select few) that have been relocated for the recent past from the grandstand are indicative of the ‘tortoises without shells’ (they are a very select few) who frequent the grandstand, one can only hope the Principal Contractor completes the work in very good time

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
X Isle":2bgawzhs said:
Alan-Frost":2bgawzhs said:
How about some decent floodlights so i can see what is going on!.
Never got a definitive answer when I raised this previously.

When the horseshoe was done we were told the fitted 'lux' was much much brighter but had to be dimmed down to match the lux on the Grandstand side. We were told that when the ground was completed and the Grandstand side was uprated too, the whole brightness could be raised considerably.

Are the floodlights being uprated as part of the refurbishment?

That would solve the problem.

Re: the 'atmosphere' of the upper Grandstand. You do not get a better view of the football anywhere else. You also get to sit without anyone banging a drum, without anyone trying to impose chanting, without anyone standing up, without anyone smelling of clearasil and without anyone whose Argyle knowledge doesn't stretch further back than the post administration period.

You pays yer money you takes yer choice, and thank heavens for it. We don't drive all the way down and spend all the ime and money we do to have the action spoilt by any or all of the above, things that come with the territory for 'atmosphere' these days.

Keep poo pooing the upper Grandstand though, create all manner of horror stories and make it sound as unappealing as possible. It leaves more room for those who just want to fully immerse themselves in the game without all the bollox.

Amen to that. I look forward to resuming my place amongst the chin strokers.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
One more that massively prefers the upper tier of the grandstand.

Not racist and not a pensioner, simply go for the best view.