Ryan Taylor Replacement | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Taylor Replacement

Jul 29, 2012
Doesn’t need to be someone who is a bench warmer .If they are better than Taylor then Taylor is on the bench . We need to have proper options both for playing 1 up front or if the system doesn’t work . The rest of the managers in the division will be wise to the system we play so will try and set up to counter it . The most impressive forwards I saw this season were Lyle Taylor and Ellis Harrison . In my view both could play the one up front role with probably more goal threat than Ryan Taylor , or as a two .

The failure this season was to sign decent replacement for Taylor . If there was one failure this season it was that . We didn’t do so in August . We then had months to prepare for January and wevsigned a player who’d not played a lot and with a chronic injury record . We can’t take that risk again .

Oct 31, 2015
cornishbob":320192vr said:
How about akinfenwa,very skilful for a big man and would be a great back up.

Great shout. He is always popular down here but does he have many more games in him?

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":1c4wfra2 said:
Will we play the same way next season? Will the two number 10's stay? If not then a Taylor replacement is not that critical but if we do I was impressed with Tom Eaves today and he would push Taylor for a starting place.

Argyle have two problems. One is our sixteenth placed budget. You don't collect the most effective number 9s in the division with one of the lowest budgets in the division.

The second is first team football. The likes of Eaves, Taylor and Harrison are starting forwards at Gillingham, Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers, and I'm not sure they will leave their clubs to become second fiddle in any way.

Until our budget reflects our attendances, Argyle will have to be creative. I think League Two target men such as Jimmy Spencer or Jamille Matt is where we need to be looking. I'd take Stockley but I can't see us offering more than other clubs would for him, including Exeter (who outbid us for Reuben Reid). In looking at an out of form League Two target man, for me that would be an upgrade on the likes of Goodwillie, Ciftci, Grant, Jervis, Slew who we have seen all too often under Adams - backup strikers who don't have the basic attributes to play the way he plays.

We need to keep our system in my opinion, at times we have been dominant this season. We have the right formula and now we just need some quality in depth.

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":jwjilhl3 said:
PL2 3DQ":jwjilhl3 said:
Will we play the same way next season? Will the two number 10's stay? If not then a Taylor replacement is not that critical but if we do I was impressed with Tom Eaves today and he would push Taylor for a starting place.

Argyle have two problems. One is our sixteenth placed budget. You don't collect the most effective number 9s in the division with one of the lowest budgets in the division.

The second is first team football. The likes of Eaves, Taylor and Harrison are starting forwards at Gillingham, Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers, and I'm not sure they will leave their clubs to become second fiddle in any way.

Until our budget reflects our attendances, Argyle will have to be creative. I think League Two target men such as Jimmy Spencer or Jamille Matt is where we need to be looking. I'd take Stockley but I can't see us offering more than other clubs would for him, including Exeter (who outbid us for Reuben Reid). In looking at an out of form League Two target man, for me that would be an upgrade on the likes of Goodwillie, Ciftci, Grant, Jervis, Slew who we have seen all too often under Adams - backup strikers who don't have the basic attributes to play the way he plays.

We need to keep our system in my opinion, at times we have been dominant this season. We have the right formula and now we just need some quality in depth.

Just a thought does anyone know if Bristol Rovers and Gillingham have a ‘decent’ back up to their strikers, if they do it would be an indication of the sort of player prepared to sit on the bench and wait his chance.

Jul 29, 2010
janner67":fqckjnoh said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":fqckjnoh said:
Will Akinde stay at Barnet now they've been relegated ?? I also like the look of Stockley at Exeter ..

Exactly what I was going to say, this fella weighs in with goals wherever he goes and I'm sure DA could sell a move to him where he. Would be second choice since he's about to be playing in the national league.
It is huge testament to how far and how quickly Argyle have moved forward that I believe John Akinde is now behind the level we require.

A couple of seasons ago he, and Omar Bogle, were the clear stand out 'big man' options in L2, we would've bitten an arm off to have those attributes in our squad. Now though?, he's two years older, two years more injury prone and crucially he's just a shade too agricultural for our level now. Sure we need the height, sure we need the power, but Ryan Taylor has shown that our requirements now include a tad more guile/craft/skill.

Harrison/Eaves/Taylor or that mould are younger, less injury prone, have the height and power with just a bit more pace and a tad more craft.

Someone mentioned Lyle Taylor's personality earlier. My Dons mate at work says his impression from the terraces of a strutting ego maniac was shattered when he actually met the guy. He says he's daft as as a brush for sure but is a lovely bloke with it. Sounded to me like exactly the sort of character that boosts a squad rather than divides one.

One thing he did add was that although out of contract this summer he does want to test himself in the Championship. Had we got through the play-offs then maybe he was more likely to be a viable prospect. That said if no offers come down from the championship our showing this year could convince him that we are a vehicle that could get him there.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
It is interesting and very positive that we are all discussing getting improved players in at this stage. I don't know whether this has been covered elsewhere, but one of the inadvertent 'positives' of just falling short of the play offs this season is that planning on retained and targeted players can start NOW. We know from recent experience the difficulty of having to delay retention and recruitment for several weeks whilst, let's be honest, we would probably have struggled on with a depleted team in a vainglorious but ultimately unsuccessful bid to negotiate the play offs. That would have delayed our cherry picking. At least DA can immediately hit the ground running - and I have no doubt that is exactly what he is doing.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It doesn’t cross my mind that we could afford to sign/pay players like Taylor, Harrison, Eaves and Akinde. I just don’t think we’d be in the equation for them financially. And we’re certainly not in the right place. It’s a tough one. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

One thing is for sure. No player of the right ability to replace Taylor is going to join as back-up.

Jul 29, 2010
The Doctor":2of3xmbd said:
It doesn’t cross my mind that we could afford to sign/pay players like Taylor, Harrison, Eaves and Akinde. I just don’t think we’d be in the equation for them financially. And we’re certainly not in the right place. It’s a tough one. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

One thing is for sure. No player of the right ability to replace Taylor is going to join as back-up.
Finances are of course a factor. These are the sort of player attributes we need to be looking for, whether it arrives in the for of one of these actual players is another matter.

A lot of guff is stated about budgets, the old festering sore of an attitude prevails... throw money at it. Well I think my strap line signature covers my views on that score entirely.

We can, and have, got those attributes without spending the kind of money required (not just transfer fees you finger counters out there, but wages, agent and signing on fees too). Ryan Taylor was an (on paper) unpromising signing in this role, as was Jimmy Spencer. Both in their own relative way were unexciting, but both, in their own relative way were the exact square peg required for the square hole in DA's tactics.

So probably, history tells us, the signing we need as back up/in game rotation for Ryan Taylor isn't going to be one of the players mentioned so far. He'll be a non headline grabbing journeyman in a squad that finished nowhere. I trust DA enough now to have faith that he knows what he's looking for and will get that out of whichever player he identifies to fulfil the role.

PS - It is semantics but I really feel the thread title should be Ryan Taylor back up as opposed to replacement. I know the OP isn't implying Taylor is leaving, he means 'replacement' as in injury replacement or competition for starting place or in game rotation. Just seeing the word replacement though raises the heart rate a few beats, in the wider sense Ryan has clearly shown he is irreplaceable.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yes but he is a 25 to 30 games a season player. Can we afford that many absences if he is our main striker?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Would have kept Jimmy Spencer, not a great player but would have been a better option than what we've had lately with Taylor out.