Ryan Lowe thread | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe thread

Jan 5, 2023
Wages = 139% of revenue!

When you see stuff like this it makes you even more thankful for our current ownership regardless of league position - a club with a proud/famous history, with it’s future being gambled on an outside shot of the Premier League promised land.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Preston fans expect too much. They’re 12th in the League, their budget is probably 15th-20th. I don’t like Lowe’s demeanour or his soundbites but he isn’t doing a bad job.

Reactions: boletus edulis

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Justice was done with Ledson, he just ran around for 12 mins trying to inflict injury on people.

Nov 18, 2011
Preston fans expect too much. They’re 12th in the League, their budget is probably 15th-20th. I don’t like Lowe’s demeanour or his soundbites but he isn’t doing a bad job.
Coventry are showing that a decent run is all you need to be in the play off spots, I'm sure Preston fans would soon change their opinion of Lowe if they won a few games and shot up the table.
5th and 6th certainly look up for grabs.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Interesting stuff going around on Twitter/X about him, his Dad and Grandad

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
[/me goes have a look]

Ooh. There can't be anything in that! Interesting though...

Not saying there is or not anything in it but the bloke you said about it. Spent enough time doing and spending time in prison for what he said re regarding Lowe

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
I wonder what everyone's thinking is on Loweys record with Preston? It's not so much a focus on him as it is a niggling question as to how Preston manage to not get in the mess Stoke and others are in.

I've just been following the match results on BBC this season. I was initially shocked by their early season form, being top at one point. Then towards the end of October it all started reversing and they were dropping down the table rapidly. They've since made a recovery in the past few weeks.

Looking a bit deeper there are a few things that stand out for me.

1. Early season fixtures were very kind. Without bringing stats up it was mostly bottom half teams, which would have been the biggest factor in a strong start.

2. The fixtures switched to mostly top half teams. So they struggled. A game of two Half's almost.

3. The start of the latest upturn in form came when I believe Lowey was a game away from the sack. That game was Leeds away and I remember posting my anticipation of a loss.

They sneaked a win. I remember looking at the stats and basically this has been replicated in most of their games since. 30-40% possession, few shots on target, exceptional strike rate (I know some will look at xG but I don't believe in it myself).

Is it luck or is it shrewd tactical nuance? I can't see it being the latter myself. I just think he's got nine lives, then 9 more. It will be interesting to see where he is by end of the season. To me they seem to be managing right on the edge at the moment. I wouldnt think it's sustainable myself. But I haven't looked at their run in fixtures yet.

Whatever happens Preston as a club are an enigma. They keep getting mid table finishes but seem stuck and unable to kick on. Again for me, points to the structure of the Club not being right for progression.

Last edited:

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I've always thought that for a club of Preston's size, mid-table in the Championship is as good as it's likely to get isn't it? I wouldn't say that they're a much bigger club than us. There are plenty of better supported clubs in League 1.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He’s doing a good job relative to Preston’s budget which I’d imagine is 14th-20th. I think he’s also now the 2nd longest serving manager in the Championship (behind Mark Robins).

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
It is often said that one man doesn't make a team but I've often cited the case of of Tom Finney at PNE. He played 14 seasons for the club, 12 in the top tier. In 8 of those 12 they finished in the top 10. He retired with the side 9th in the First Division at the end of 1959-60. The following season they were relegated and have never been back. Indeed, 26 seasons after they left the First Division for what has proved to be the last time, they finished in the bottom 2 of the Fourth Division and had to apply for re-election. The following season automatic promotion and relegation between the Alliance and the Fourth Division was introduced, so Proud Preston would have found themselves outside the Football League.

Oct 14, 2015
Worse thing that happened I suppose was PNE getting such a terrific start, being top of the Championship as it then raises expectations from the fans.

Unfortunately when your top there’s only one way you can go and in the first few months of the season with league positions more congested as it is now then 2-3 defeats on the trot drops the leading team significantly down the table, leading to the fan’s raised expectation's rapidly disappearing leading to frustration and anger.

He seems to have steadied the ship and fans now appear back on side.

Sep 8, 2011
Preston, Lancs
I have several friends who are fair-minded PNE fans, who admit they have really had the rub of the green in a number of matches this season, where their performance has not merited a victory, but somehow they've grabbed the points; you can add their match last night to that list! Before their recent little winning run, I do know that another manager (out of work at the time) was approached to take over. All gone quiet there!
Support-wise this season, Preston's average attendance is very close to ours, but theirs is bolstered by a few 5,000+ away followings that they've accommodated.
Preston budget to make a loss of £12m per year, covered by the owners (the Hemmings family), similar to a number of other clubs in the Championship - a little reminder of what we're up against, but also what a good go we're making of it!

Reactions: Jannerz