Rochdale v Argyle Match Thread | Page 18 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rochdale v Argyle Match Thread

Sep 6, 2006
Not sure what your point is? Doyley and I were responding to djd 145's comment that the ball was not in the quadrant for Houghton's corners. Where do throw ins come into it?
Because its such a trivial point. Makes no difference. If you are concerned about players bending the rules throws ins is a bigger issue

Jan 11, 2016
I think the pont is that you only gain a marginal if any advantage from a 'naughty' corner whereas taking a throw in yards away from the correct spot can be significant.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Because its such a trivial point. Makes no difference. If you are concerned about players bending the rules throws ins is a bigger issue
I know you love to be contrary at every opportunity Balham but you didn't need to get involved especially over something so "trivial"
To make it simple djd stated that Houghton's corners were taken outside the quadrant. Doyley told him viewed from above he would see he was wrong which I backed up with an example. Neither Doyley nor myself expressed the slightest concern whether the ball was in or out nor of the bending of any rules.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Yeah awfully better than Cooper
This. I am certainly pleased to se G Cooper fit enough again to start a game, but he is a liability when he is asked to defend. The skill set is not with him. He made a couple of long cross field kicks towards Edwards but I cannot recall an effective ball he put into a central attacking area that either Hardie or Garrick received. I know Law is a 'Steady Eddie' on the pitch but I thought per game minute, he was more effective, as he defended better.
Argyle crept home in a difficult game, where the best moments were Argyle's first goal and Rochdale's only goal.
Cannot wait until Monday's 3rd Round Draw. I just hope it is not away to [say] Harrogate!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Don't think it was quite as terrible as many seem to suggest. We played well for half of each half and then defended fairly resolutely around that. Cooper only really had one save of any note to make and we hit the post twice. George Cooper, Law and Ennis got minutes, Jephcott got a goal which is great for confidence, we learnt that Mayor - Broom combo won't work and we won the game after losing 3 in a row. It was far from perfect and we'll need to be a lot better v MKD on Wednesday, but a win to break the losing run was really important, however it came.

Cooper - 6
Edwards - 6
Wilson - 5
Scarr - 8
Gillesphey - 6
G. Cooper - 6
Houghton - 7
Broom - 6
Mayor - 6
Hardie - 5
Garrick - 6

Law - 6
Camara - 5
Ennis - 6
Jephcott - 7

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I don’t think we played well, and certainly a lot of that is due to Rochdale. However, I think the criticism of Gillesphrey might be a bit unfair, he had Cooper to his left and Major in front of him. Neither are particularly well known for their defensive abilities, and he had to cover both.

I also think the criticism of Law is possibly harsh. Maybe he should have scored, but he has barely played and will be rusty. Would Cooper have got into the position for that shot and that header? I am not so sure, but Law was. Law needs to play week in week out. I assume he will go out on loan in January.

Dec 30, 2020
Love to see our young players getting a chance but every time Law has played, he’s looked miles away from the level required, physically and technically. There’s a sense of dread whenever the ball goes near him

Reactions: Led green
May 4, 2019
Love to see our young players getting a chance but every time Law has played, he’s looked miles away from the level required, physically and technically. There’s a sense of dread whenever the ball goes near him
I agree. He looked nervous today, and wasn’t anywhere near the standard he needed to be at, unfortunately. Definitely one for the future… not ready yet.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
We have what we have until January- no one could have predicted what happened to Brendan so we have to make the best of what we have

Yes we had an very uncomfortable afternoon & it certainly was not pretty on the eye but we got through it

The players will know they were not at their collective best but they stuck at it & Jephs delivered at the death

Hopefully this will give them a boost & the fact that we are having players coming back from injury will lift them for the bread & butter that is the league- starting Wednesday against MK Dons

Whoever we get in the 3rd round will be put on the back burner as the league is our priority

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Don't think it was quite as terrible as many seem to suggest. We played well for half of each half and then defended fairly resolutely around that. Cooper only really had one save of any note to make and we hit the post twice. George Cooper, Law and Ennis got minutes, Jephcott got a goal which is great for confidence, we learnt that Mayor - Broom combo won't work and we won the game after losing 3 in a row. It was far from perfect and we'll need to be a lot better v MKD on Wednesday, but a win to break the losing run was really important, however it came.

Cooper - 6
Edwards - 6
Wilson - 5
Scarr - 8
Gillesphey - 6
G. Cooper - 6
Houghton - 7
Broom - 6
Mayor - 6
Hardie - 5
Garrick - 6

Law - 6
Camara - 5
Ennis - 6
Jephcott - 7
Agree with most of this apart from the Mayor/Broom combo. I didn’t really see any examples of it not working, but that might be me. I thought they were both a little under par today but then the whole team struggled. Rochdale played and pressed hard. I think the player we missed was Pan, we were second to the ball much of the time and they were getting a lot of space and time midfield…Pan would have remedied that. However Lowe has got to keep something back for the matches coming up so you could view this as a canny performance and team selection. Injured and fringe players got game time and we nicked a result.