Rethink needed. | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rethink needed.

Aug 2, 2011
Shankster":2xppfjfg said:
It’s s interesting that women, children and ‘others’ are fully able to watch the brogue wearing hefalumps who don the wonderful English Rosed white shirt on the international egg chasing field of play, kick lumps out of one another fairly regularly, inc eye gouging, stamping and general loutishness BUT the working class man can’t do likewise without being locked up, banned and generally labelled sub-human

Odd that

I’m not condoning either btw, merely pointing out a fact

What a strange comment. First of all I think you will find that the concept that all egg chasers come from wealthy parenthood who have never worked has moved on. Secondly whilst egg chasers may beat the living s--t out of each other on the field it rarely seems to create fan v fan violence. Rugby League a rooted in the North "working class" sport does not have the fan aggression seen in football nor the need for fan segregation. Thirdly how do you define working class ? Are you suggesting that only those who cause problems at football grounds are working class if so you are insulting the majority of the countries population. Most people have to work for a living be that a nurse, doctor, chippy, plumber, shop keeper, bank clerk etc etc.

Oct 16, 2016
Presto":2pu68e0w said:
Shankster":2pu68e0w said:
It’s s interesting that women, children and ‘others’ are fully able to watch the brogue wearing hefalumps who don the wonderful English Rosed white shirt on the international egg chasing field of play, kick lumps out of one another fairly regularly, inc eye gouging, stamping and general loutishness BUT the working class man can’t do likewise without being locked up, banned and generally labelled sub-human

Odd that

What a strange comment. First of all I think you will find that the concept that all egg chasers come from wealthy parenthood who have never worked has moved on. Secondly whilst egg chasers may beat the living s--t out of each other on the field it rarely seems to create fan v fan violence. Rugby League a rooted in the North "working class" sport does not have the fan aggression seen in football nor the need for fan segregation. Thirdly how do you define working class ? Are you suggesting that only those who cause problems at football grounds are working class if so you are insulting the majority of the countries population. Most people have to work for a living be that a nurse, doctor, chippy, plumber, shop keeper, bank clerk etc etc.

Egg chasers are posh, they have the be to be able to afford the Blakeys and blazers. As stated previously fighting (gang culture and tribalism) in football has been such for many decades

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Shankster":m84vn99p said:
Presto":m84vn99p said:
Shankster":m84vn99p said:

Odd that

Egg chasers are posh, they have the be to be able to afford the Blakeys and blazers. As stated previously fighting (gang culture and tribalism) in football has been such for many decades

They are not 'posh' in Cornwall pal. The game commenced in West Cornwall mainly amongst hard rock miners in their mining towns and villages. You will not see a Burberry scarf or a Loden coat on Hellfire Corner at Redruth. I think you are trying to be too stereotypic.

raffertymariner":fke1huq1 said:
When we were languishing in the bottom division with lower crowds and away attendances from the likes of Morecombe and Crewe that you could fit into a mini bus the location of the family section with its underfloor facilities was forward thinking and commendable. Great idea ....encourage families to visit with dads, mums and their small children enjoying the fun match day experience with Pilgrim Pete, and the bonus of building more long term argyle supporters after getting the youngsters hooked by regularly attending with the family. Unfortunately the real world of Football has got in the way. Those handful of friendly stewards "encouraging" the hardy few away supporters to sit down was as bad as it got....fast forward to Bristol Rovers and those same families are hemmed in by snarling apes throwing insults (and the occasional seat) at each other and fighting with our stewards who are trying to protect them. Having got through 90 minutes of hate filled aggravation from the middle aged tossers, they still have the further "match day experience" of mum and dad shepherding their young ones through lines of police with barking dogs to get back to safety. How many will return I wonder or shall they just take the kids down to the park next time ...cheaper and safer.
As we rise up the leagues (hopefully), this problem will only get worse, with larger clubs with "reputations" bringing their own idiots in greater number, and more of our low life joining in. I support JB and his stewardship of our club ....and would suggest that as well as attending with the Senior Greens in our away end he should also experience first hand taking his wife and children to the family section when we are playing the likes of Bristol Rovers to guage how enjoyable that experience is for all concerned.
He may come to the conclusion that the family section should be re located to a safer part of the ground with easier exit ....Block 1 perhaps ? As an aside, it will be interesting to get the views of the Grandstand season ticket holders if their match day experience has changed , for better or worse, when they are temporarily in the Block 18 firing line for those "big" games.

Very valid points.
However, please note & as others have mentioned, there was no family section in that area on Saturday.
It was a standard block like all the others.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Presto":2axjk2ey said:
Shankster":2axjk2ey said:

Odd that

Spot on!!!!!

May 4, 2015
Don't want to say "I told you so" but ......................

As previously mentioned, the likes of Wigan and AFC Wimbledon have been seen to be hand gesturing, even in one instance giving a cut throat sign to the "family stand".

I said at the time it is in completely the wrong area of the ground.

If away fans are going to give the V's, hand shandy and cut throat signs, much better it is aimed at grown men who want to be in that area, not kids who are forced to sit there as a human shield.

Trouble in this fixture has been going on since I started going in the late 80's - it's nothing new. Thing is, the "trouble" now is more gesticulating, and throwing objects from behind enemy lines.

Common sense decision is to move the family stand to another area of the ground - ideally block 1. Would be interesting to see some stats on what the uptake is of away fans to home fans ratio using it. I can't see it having much of an appeal to an away fan.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I've said it before but I genuinely don't know what sort of people would want to in a shared family area at an away game - especially with a bunch of strangers. It's odd to me.

May 16, 2016
My experience of the shared family area before the game is that it was mainly full of Argyle kids and accompanying adults. The away Fans I've encountered in there have generally been complimentary about the facility and considered it a good idea.

There are 'Bouncers' in the vicinity who I'm sure would turn away anybody with no business to be there. I originally thought it was a bad idea but do think that it does have a diffusing effect and hopefully teaches the younger kids that you dont have to be an ars8hole all your life.

I agree that ideally it should be elsewhere. Accessible to all Families with access from outside the Ground for pre game entry to away fans looking to keep the kids occupied before going to the away end. Sort of a mini version of the Supporters Bar built into the Devonport End that doesn't exist.

H

handbags blake

I am quite impressed with the ideas of possibly giving the devonport end or even possibly the ground level of the new grandstand to the away fans but of course both of these ideas will be unpopular with some fans. I do think that as we progress up the football league (hopefully) the family stand as it is now has to be moved or else it will simply not be workable with the increased away support. I do think it was a good try but not workable with big crowds which if we get championship football will happen. I understand that people would not like to give up the devonport end to away fan as but this seems a good idea to me.

H

handbags blake

Andy_S":27we6df2 said:
Andy Holland":27we6df2 said:
handbags blake":27we6df2 said:
Argyle could easily allow a non segregated area in block 1 for families only,how hard could that be to police,just ensure any adult is accompanied by a child.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the people make these kind of decisions have a lot more experience of crowd management than you do.

And they don't have an ulterior motive for moving the Families Enclosure to Block 1.
What ulterior motive???