Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove... | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove...

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
For me, we've lost the transition we once had between defending and attacking. When we had the likes of Cundle and Azaz they could pick a pass and get Whittaker and Hardie released, then contribute to the attack themselves. We don't seem to have that at the moment - the number of mispasses or times we just passed across to other defenders rather than counter last night was infuriating.
Gyabi and Houghton stepped up and played that role superbly today, Randell too. Well done Argyle!

Aug 22, 2006
It's that time of the month when I bring back the most obvious answer to why we are where we are and that it is not all down to Foster! I'll recap for those who can't grasp that more than one thing / person is to blame for what's happened recently:

* Please please please don't reply about the fact Mayor or Ennis aren't that good these days... they aren't performing etc... it's not about getting rid of them it's about REPLACING THEM... and replacing them with a better standard player. Simple.

* In league one where we actually over-performed we had numerous options off the bench.
* When it came to the january transfer window we recruited Callum Wright, T. Wright, Ben Waine and one or two others.
* I liked Callum Wright and he was actually a decent contributer towards our promotion last season
* However the rest of the players weren't even that effective in league 1 let alone the Champ.
* Last summer window our board were brilliant in financing Whittaker and Mumba signings. I do really appreciate it. It made sense, sadly we weren't to know that Mumba has only recently (under Foster) picked up form.
* Whether we blew our finances on those two or not, I don't understand why we never identified new attackers apart from Cundle this campaign. Azaz returned, great news.... but compared to last season... we failed to recruit...
* Let's say Devine is the Mayor replacement (and that is down to foster, I agree that he's not been good enough)
* Bundu is Cundle's replacement (I mean not exactly PLAYER FOR PLAYER but anyway... in terms of numbers.)

Who is...
Ennis' replacement?
Cosgrove replacement?
Azaz replacement?

Now bearing in mind if we were in league 1 i'd be making the same argument! 100%! The Championship however we needed to step it up big time. We never ever replaced these guys. Really basic stuff. Not Foster's fault at all and in fact like Holloway years back when he failed to tie down Norris, Buzsaky and co (or blame the board) Schuey knew that second half of season would be a HUGE struggle. Easy to leave, bearing in mind rumours are he applied for numerous jobs beforehand but oh no it's Foster's fault we are in this mess... haha...how ridiculous!

A couple of things to tie up...

Gyabi let's say is Matete's replacement although Gyabi is slightly more forward thinking
Forshaw is Butcher's replacement although sadly his injury-ridden past has come back to haunt him/us. Funny that Butcher scored a superb double on Saturday, check the goals out if you haven't seen them.
An additional point. We also miss KKH. Think about the pace we are now missing.
Foster comes in and has three weeks to attract players, bearing in mind we apparently have scouts that are stats driven. What have they given us in the last 14 months? In terms of NEW players. Not azaz or Whittaker etc.

Forshaw - decent player but injury prone
Gyabi - a step up from Butcher he just needs to be a bit more consistent
Phillips - Decent start to life in defence but has been found out in 3 matches... recently brought back and to be honest we haven't shipped that many goals recently.
Sorinola - not quite as energetic and perhaps as skilful as KKH but a decent player
Devine - Sadly hasn't delivered since a promising start
Sousa - actually did well replacing Miller on Saturday. Nice touches, skill but extremely raw.

So in Summary apart from Devine these players above aren't the main issues.... these are the key issues:

1 Ennis' replacement - n/a
2 Cosgrove replacement - n/a
3 Azaz replacement - n/a
4 Bundu for Cundle not good enough
5 Devine for Mayor not good enough at the moment (Foster to blame)
6 Callum Wright - not good enough sadly and ridiculed when Foster gave him a few chances but then fans questioned why he wasn't in the squad recently blaming Foster for... I don't know really. Totally laughable.
7 Dan Scarr - Same as above (foster gave him a chance to be fair)
8 Ben Waine - I think he will come good one day but the fact he is our second striker is absolutely bonkers.
9 Tyriek Wright - on loan to league 2 side bradford

Youngsters:
10 Roberts - fair play to foster for giving him a try but seems to not be good enough
11 Freddie I. - Same with Freddie, I mean these boys were on the bench on Saturday, they rarely made the bench in league 1.

So in summary in terms of recruitment I can only see one obvious player who isn't performing to standards we require in champ that is Foster's fault. We can also maybe question the Sousa signing although perhaps with Miller's injury background back up is crucial.

Otherwise the proof is for everyone to see. So So obvious. I mean how on earth are fans even thinking about booing Foster when we are THREE PLAYERS down from our league 1 winning side and arguably 7 down due to poor recruitment in the last few transfer windows.

Quite simple really. I know we are a club that can't afford to make mistakes. Other clubs can afford 3 or 4 bad signings, whereas we can't. So i'm not suggesting the board, the directors etc are totally to blame and are awful. Far from it, but we can't just blame foster, a chap who has been responsible for some poor results at home, but has been miles better than Schuey away from home. The board need to take responsibility. Schuey as well beforehand to blame. Poor recruitment for the best part of 14 months.

The problem actually comes down to us winning the league in a record breaking season. Getting off to a fairly decent start this season as well. I was really concerned even before this campaign about recruitment. Unfortunately i've been proved right. We needed to improve our squad... forget us winning the league, we weren't actually exceptional as such, remember we were thrashed on 4 occasions. But we were clinical and worked hard. We also, and this is the key point, had players that could change the game off the bench. Yes this season we were fairly exciting but that was with Azaz and Cundle. Two players at the start of season making huge differences alongside a fresh Whittaker and Hardie. Today those two are knackered because we have no back ups to replace them!

Sadly the biggest of hospital passes began with Schuey just before he left and was finished off by Dewsnip (didn't they both fall out!!) and the board which has resulted in Foster taking the sh*t pass and being royally stitched up.... I mean name me a club that only has two strikers on their books!? We would need to go down to part time leagues to find such club.

Best wishes to you all...

Mexijan1

πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ‡²πŸ‡½
βœ… Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
It's that time of the month when I bring back the most obvious answer to why we are where we are and that it is not all down to Foster! I'll recap for those who can't grasp that more than one thing / person is to blame for what's happened recently:

* Please please please don't reply about the fact Mayor or Ennis aren't that good these days... they aren't performing etc... it's not about getting rid of them it's about REPLACING THEM... and replacing them with a better standard player. Simple.

* In league one where we actually over-performed we had numerous options off the bench.
* When it came to the january transfer window we recruited Callum Wright, T. Wright, Ben Waine and one or two others.
* I liked Callum Wright and he was actually a decent contributer towards our promotion last season
* However the rest of the players weren't even that effective in league 1 let alone the Champ.
* Last summer window our board were brilliant in financing Whittaker and Mumba signings. I do really appreciate it. It made sense, sadly we weren't to know that Mumba has only recently (under Foster) picked up form.
* Whether we blew our finances on those two or not, I don't understand why we never identified new attackers apart from Cundle this campaign. Azaz returned, great news.... but compared to last season... we failed to recruit...
* Let's say Devine is the Mayor replacement (and that is down to foster, I agree that he's not been good enough)
* Bundu is Cundle's replacement (I mean not exactly PLAYER FOR PLAYER but anyway... in terms of numbers.)

Who is...
Ennis' replacement?
Cosgrove replacement?
Azaz replacement?

Now bearing in mind if we were in league 1 i'd be making the same argument! 100%! The Championship however we needed to step it up big time. We never ever replaced these guys. Really basic stuff. Not Foster's fault at all and in fact like Holloway years back when he failed to tie down Norris, Buzsaky and co (or blame the board) Schuey knew that second half of season would be a HUGE struggle. Easy to leave, bearing in mind rumours are he applied for numerous jobs beforehand but oh no it's Foster's fault we are in this mess... haha...how ridiculous!

Gyabi let's say is Matete's replacement although Gyabi is slightly more forward thinking
Forshaw is Butcher's replacement although sadly his injury-ridden past has come back to haunt him/us. Funny that Butcher scored a superb double on Saturday, check the goals out if you haven't seen them.
Foster comes in and has three weeks to attract players, bearing in mind we apparently have scouts that are stats driven. What have they given us in the last 14 months? In terms of NEW players. Not azaz or Whittaker etc.

Phillips - Decent start to life in defence but has been found out in 3 matches... recently brought back and to be honest we haven't shipped that many goals recently.
Sorinola - not quite as energetic and perhaps as skilful as KKH but a decent player
Sousa - actually did well replacing Miller on Saturday. Nice touches, skill but extremely raw.

So in Summary apart from Devine these players above aren't the main issues.... these are the key issues:

3 Azaz replacement - n/a
6 Callum Wright - not good enough sadly and ridiculed when Foster gave him a few chances but then fans questioned why he wasn't in the squad recently blaming Foster for... I don't know really. Totally laughable.
8 Ben Waine - I think he will come good one day but the fact he is our second striker is absolutely bonkers.

Youngsters:
10 Roberts - fair play to foster for giving him a try but seems to not be good enough
11 Freddie I. - Same with Freddie, I mean these boys were on the bench on Saturday, they rarely made the bench in league 1.

So in summary in terms of recruitment I can only see one obvious player who isn't performing to standards we require in champ that is Foster's fault. We can also maybe question the Sousa signing although perhaps with Miller's injury background back up is crucial.

Otherwise the proof is for everyone to see. So So obvious. I mean how on earth are fans even thinking about booing Foster when we are THREE PLAYERS down from our league 1 winning side and arguably 7 down due to poor recruitment in the last few transfer windows.

Quite simple really. I know we are a club that can't afford to make mistakes. Other clubs can afford 3 or 4 bad signings, whereas we can't. So i'm not suggesting the board, the directors etc are totally to blame and are awful. Far from it, but we can't just blame foster, a chap who has been responsible for some poor results at home, but has been miles better than Schuey away from home. The board need to take responsibility. Schuey as well beforehand to blame. Poor recruitment for the best part of 14 months.

The problem actually comes down to us winning the league in a record breaking season. Getting off to a fairly decent start this season as well. I was really concerned even before this campaign about recruitment. Unfortunately i've been proved right. We needed to improve our squad... forget us winning the league, we weren't actually exceptional as such, remember we were thrashed on 4 occasions. But we were clinical and worked hard. We also, and this is the key point, had players that could change the game off the bench. Yes this season we were fairly exciting but that was with Azaz and Cundle. Two players at the start of season making huge differences alongside a fresh Whittaker and Hardie. Today those two are knackered because we have no back ups to replace them!

Sadly the biggest of hospital passes began with Schuey just before he left and was finished off by Dewsnip (didn't they both fall out!!) and the board which has resulted in Foster taking the sh*t pass and being royally stitched up.... I mean name me a club that only has two strikers on their books!? We would need to go down to part time leagues to find such club.

Mayor or Ennis aren't that good these days...

• Haha
Reactions: elburtontrev
Apr 24, 2023

Who is...
Ennis' replacement?
Cosgrove replacement?
Azaz replacement?

3 Azaz replacement - n/a

Youngsters:

I'd argue Butcher is far more reliable than Gyabi and in the current situation would be a better option given Forshaw can't string two games together feel like we may have been sold a pup with that signing, I like Sorinola he's no real downgrade on KKH who had a mistake in him, Waine is way out of his depth at the moment and we're not in a position to carry anyone, pretty much agree with the rest though.

Aug 8, 2014

Who is...
Ennis' replacement?
Cosgrove replacement?
Azaz replacement?

3 Azaz replacement - n/a

Youngsters:

To summarise and I can conquire with a lot of that, the lack of any back up attacking options is farcical. Whether Fozzie would show any better tactics is debatable, Saturday proved he's incabale of going for it, the woeful bundu should have been replaced by Freddie or Wright!!

May 16, 2016
Why does anybody who plays for Argyle have to be the 'new....' or a direct replacement of anybody else ?

Surely they are all their own person with their own attributes and the train of thought that you need direct replacements for anybody, indicates a narrow mindset and limited understanding of varying your style of play to accommodate who you have or can get.

I must have misjudged people's ability to adapt along with the game.

Aug 8, 2014
In summary we have an inferior squad than last season. The only upgrade was Gibson. Yet it must all be IF'S fault.
If we stay up with striker options of Hardie Bundu and Waine it will be a miracle.
But Schuey gave us a good start, this guy is out of his depth

Feb 8, 2005
But Schuey gave us a good start, this guy is out of his depth
Shuey knew the players, what they could do, what they couldn't do. He'd been with us for several years. He coached them to be the players they were.

Foster came in with a transfer window having started and which would be closed within a short period of time. He didn't know the players, he didn't know the opposition we had to play.

Soon the window closed and he had to go with the players that he had.

Yes, he added players, young players who he knew could play the way he wanted, but he didn't know about the standard of the Championship.

It was not good enough but we couldn't do anything about it.

Bout sums it up for me. We go with what we have got and there is no comparison between Shuey and Foster, who drew the short straw.

Reactions: oldage

up the line

πŸš‘ Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Shuey knew the players, what they could do, what they couldn't do. He'd been with us for several years. He coached them to be the players they were.

Foster came in with a transfer window having started and which would be closed within a short period of time. He didn't know the players, he didn't know the opposition we had to play.

Soon the window closed and he had to go with the players that he had.

Yes, he added players, young players who he knew could play the way he wanted, but he didn't know about the standard of the Championship.

It was not good enough but we couldn't do anything about it.

Bout sums it up for me. We go with what we have got and there is no comparison between Shuey and Foster, who drew the short straw.
He didn't know the opposition we had to play?!!
🀣🀣🀣🀣 Oh god πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Jesussskrist I'd have thought a supposed applicant for the job would have a fair idea of who plays for Leicester or Leeds etc if that's what you mean?
Unless you actually mean he actually didn't know the teams in the championship (which seems more believable by the day when he looks so starstruck by Preston North End).
He didn't know the standard of the championship?! A 47 year old football manager working in the game for decades "didn't know the standard of the championship" 🀣🀣🀣 Unreal. Absolutely unreal.
He didn't know the players??!! FFS if he's applied for the job I'd expect him to have done the bare minimum of research and there's plenty of footage available...not to mention discussions with his mate Dewsnip.
For pure comedy value this is gold star stuff.
The successful applicant out of 100 didn't know the players, the opposition or the standard of the division he was about to manage in apparently... cracking appointment then πŸ˜…

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2005
He didn't know the opposition we had to play?!!
🀣🀣🀣🀣 Oh god πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Jesussskrist I'd have thought a supposed applicant for the job would have a fair idea of who plays for Leicester or Leeds etc if that's what you mean?
Unless you actually mean he actually didn't know the teams in the championship (which seems more believable by the day when he looks so starstruck by Preston North End).
He didn't know the standard of the championship?! A 47 year old football manager working in the game for decades "didn't know the standard of the championship" 🀣🀣🀣 Unreal. Absolutely unreal.
He didn't know the players??!! FFS if he's applied for the job I'd expect him to have done the bare minimum of research and there's plenty of footage available...not to mention discussions with his mate Dewsnip.
For pure comedy value this is gold star stuff.
The successful applicant out of 100 didn't know the players, the opposition or the standard of the division he was about to manage in apparently... cracking appointment then πŸ˜…
Don't be a wazzock.

We didn't know the standard of the Championship until we started to play there.

Big change from when we were last there.

Massive difference between top and bottom of the league.

We were champions of div 1, we should have had some quality players. We did but not enough, and they were only on loan, and we didn't get any quality in during the summer break. Just Mumba and Whittaker, who were with us in div 1 anyway, so we were a division 1 team playing in the Championship.

We were not Ipswich. We were little old Plymouth Argyle.

When he came in we lost Azaz, our other quality player. Nothing we could do about it.

Foster was given the job without having the quality of our winning squad from div 1, let alone being unable to improve on what we had. Little money, and with only loans to bring in.

Hardly inviting was it?

up the line

πŸš‘ Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Don't be a wazzock.

We didn't know the standard of the Championship until we started to play there.

Big change from when we were last there.

Massive difference between top and bottom of the league.

We were champions of div 1, we should have had some quality players. We did but not enough, and they were only on loan, and we didn't get any quality in during the summer break. Just Mumba and Whittaker, who were with us in div 1 anyway, so we were a division 1 team playing in the Championship.

We were not Ipswich. We were little old Plymouth Argyle.

When he came in we lost Azaz, our other quality player. Nothing we could do about it.

Foster was given the job without having the quality of our winning squad from div 1, let alone being unable to improve on what we had. Little money, and with only loans to bring in.

Hardly inviting was it?
"he didn't know the opposition we had to play." You said it!

A person working in football, applying for a job managing a championship side, didn't know the quality of team we'd be playing. And he was the best applicant 🀣🀣🀣

Please don't stop, this stuff is brilliant.

Feb 8, 2005
"he didn't know the opposition we had to play." You said it!

A person working in football, applying for a job managing a championship side, didn't know the quality of team we'd be playing. And he was the best applicant 🀣🀣🀣

Please don't stop, this stuff is brilliant.
And you did know the qualities of the opposition I suppose.

Do me a favour.

up the line

πŸš‘ Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
And you did know the qualities of the opposition I suppose.

Do me a favour.
🀣🀣
I think most fans had a reasonable idea of the qualities of many of the championship sides..a highly televised league.

Even if you had no idea, you think that a professional working within the game, with a hotline to Neil Dewsnip, applying for a job in the division, "didn't know the opposition we'd be facing" after half a season of us playing in the league?! Do me a favour πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
As far as excuses for Foster go, this is probably the whackiest...he didn't know the quality of the opponents πŸ˜…πŸ€£
What next? The dog ate my tactics sheet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Argy1e
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
🀣🀣
I think most fans had a reasonable idea of the qualities of many of the championship sides..a highly televised league.

Even if you had no idea, you think that a professional working within the game, with a hotline to Neil Dewsnip, applying for a job in the division, "didn't know the opposition we'd be facing" after half a season of us playing in the league?! Do me a favour πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
As far as excuses for Foster go, this is probably the whackiest...he didn't know the quality of the opponents πŸ˜…πŸ€£
What next? The dog ate my tactics sheet?
Not to mention the fact that he'd have watched Championship football all the time in his roles in the England youth set up as he'd have had to watch it to select the players.