Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove...

Aug 22, 2006
Sorry to bring this up again. Genuinely not trying to stir up any bad vibes or anything like that... however...
I did think in the summer it was bizarre that these three players weren't properly replaced. I was ridiculed months ago by many on here and by various Argyle friends of mine who just went along with the line of "Schuey, Dewsnip and co know what they are doing... chill out..." However it's clear now that not replacing AT LEAST two of these three players have cost us.

Weirdly, many people will react with the fact that Ennis is injury prone. That's not the point at all. His presence last season, along with those other two i've mentioned made the difference between finishing top and in the play offs where I'm fairly sure we'd have been beaten, lacking that one-match edge that other teams have. So we needed to find a replacement for Ennis in the summer as mentioned when he signed for Blackburn. But that's proven to be a difficult task even for our management, who for the most part so far have been top quality.

Not a brainbusting theory but it's obviously far more difficult to attract great attacking players, as they generally cost more and obviously bringing in Whittaker and then Azaz back on loan was good business. For me the signing of Luke Cundle has been the third best bit of business (behind Gibson/Whittaker) in the summer transfer window however it doesn't take away the fact we never replaced Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove. Even if you count Bundu he is nothing in terms of positioning like the three players above.

When we go round and round and round on various posts regarding defeat after defeat this point doesn't really get mentioned, but the reality is we should have replaced these players AND not only that but with BETTER players. Simple stuff, but difficult to implement. Arguments about the defence being a bit porous are kind of invalid, or who should play at full back (I mean that's another argument as in a back 4 do we have proper full backs at hand?) BUT ultimately it's all about goals...goals keep you in a division especially if you can't keep clean sheets and we just can't rely on Hardie, Whittaker and Cundle.

So my initial theory months ago was that we need to stay above that relegation zone, as far up as possible until the January transfer window kicks in... to then strengthen especially up front, however with talks of most / all of the budget blown I wonder what the plan is from the board and management moving forward? To have one senior striker on the books along with a very young player in BW is extroadinary! IF we can't improve our attacking options then our only hope is to drastically improve defensively and rely on nicking draws here and there (contradicts my porous comment lol.) That means that even Cooper in goal isn't guaranteed a spot because our defensive unit have all been at fault for goals conceded these past few weeks.

Aug 4, 2011
Not sure why people continually bring up Ben Waineā€™s age when defending his lack of impact. Heā€™s 12 months younger than Haaland. 6 months younger than Whittaker. If he was good enough heā€™d be doing it by now. Heā€™s just not Championship level quality.

I do agree with your main points though. The return of Ennis for the run in was a huge part of the reason we went undefeated after the Wembley shambles. Weā€™d be 5-6 points better off if we had a fit Niall Ennis this season as his hold up play and ability to nick a goal in tight games was invaluable. A massive loss for us.

smudja

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Could have got any unfit striker to replace Ennis.

Cosgrove wasn't good enough last season for a championship side, which is why he was loaned out. Need to replace him with a striker who is good at rash challenges!

Mayor replaced by Whittaker, who became an Argyle player and has scored more goals than Mayor

stevey

āœ… Evergreen
Aug 20, 2022
I think we have done very well this season. Whittaker,Mumba, Azaz Iā€™d take before the three you mentioned. Where would we be in the league without those three ?. Ok Mumba has struggled.. Championship football is a big jump and itā€™s normal for promoted teams to go straight back down. Cundle and Gibson seem to be the two gems we have picked up this season and as for Bundu he is starting to show he could be a great signing.. Donā€™t forget Hardie was out of contract last season tooā€¦

Oct 5, 2013
Thoughts:

Agree that we are missing an ā€œEnnisā€, but how many are there like him? Iā€™d like to see him back on loan, if that were possible.

Also think we need another centre-half with more pace.

Iā€™d like to see Waine do the job he looks like he can do but hasnā€™t yet, which is to get hold of the the ball and set off the other forwards on goal.

Bundu is a good strong player and is doing well.

Iā€™d play Freddie Issaka sooner rather than later.

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
Sorry to bring this up again. Genuinely not trying to stir up any bad vibes or anything like that... however...
I did think in the summer it was bizarre that these three players weren't properly replaced. I was ridiculed months ago by many on here and by various Argyle friends of mine who just went along with the line of "Schuey, Dewsnip and co know what they are doing... chill out..." However it's clear now that not replacing AT LEAST two of these three players have cost us.

Weirdly, many people will react with the fact that Ennis is injury prone. That's not the point at all. His presence last season, along with those other two i've mentioned made the difference between finishing top and in the play offs where I'm fairly sure we'd have been beaten, lacking that one-match edge that other teams have. So we needed to find a replacement for Ennis in the summer as mentioned when he signed for Blackburn. But that's proven to be a difficult task even for our management, who for the most part so far have been top quality.

Not a brainbusting theory but it's obviously far more difficult to attract great attacking players, as they generally cost more and obviously bringing in Whittaker and then Azaz back on loan was good business. For me the signing of Luke Cundle has been the third best bit of business (behind Gibson/Whittaker) in the summer transfer window however it doesn't take away the fact we never replaced Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove. Even if you count Bundu he is nothing in terms of positioning like the three players above.

When we go round and round and round on various posts regarding defeat after defeat this point doesn't really get mentioned, but the reality is we should have replaced these players AND not only that but with BETTER players. Simple stuff, but difficult to implement. Arguments about the defence being a bit porous are kind of invalid, or who should play at full back (I mean that's another argument as in a back 4 do we have proper full backs at hand?) BUT ultimately it's all about goals...goals keep you in a division especially if you can't keep clean sheets and we just can't rely on Hardie, Whittaker and Cundle.

So my initial theory months ago was that we need to stay above that relegation zone, as far up as possible until the January transfer window kicks in... to then strengthen especially up front, however with talks of most / all of the budget blown I wonder what the plan is from the board and management moving forward? To have one senior striker on the books along with a very young player in BW is extroadinary! IF we can't improve our attacking options then our only hope is to drastically improve defensively and rely on nicking draws here and there (contradicts my porous comment lol.) That means that even Cooper in goal isn't guaranteed a spot because our defensive unit have all been at fault for goals conceded these past few weeks.
Concise and well argued post, but the facts are that we don't struggle for goals, we struggle for clean sheets. I'm personally not a fan of 433 and prefer the 343 we played last year.
I think we have a young vibrant team that is just lacking nouse and experience - I think we could be good enough and will be good enough, but clearly aren't quite there yet. I think we have recruited reasonably well, but not perfectly and just hope we can correct the mistakes in Jan.

Sep 17, 2011
Wheal Friendship, Mary Tavy
Thoughts:

Agree that we are missing an ā€œEnnisā€, but how many are there like him? Iā€™d like to see him back on loan, if that were possible.

Also think we need another centre-half with more pace.

Iā€™d like to see Waine do the job he looks like he can do but hasnā€™t yet, which is to get hold of the the ball and set off the other forwards on goal.

Bundu is a good strong player and is doing well.

Iā€™d play Freddie Issaka sooner rather than later.
What would you be expecting from Issaka? Last Thursday (Youth Cup) most of his action was cutting in from the left touchline. Clearly very talented, but not in any sense one to hold the ball or provide any heading capability.

Apr 4, 2004
We certainly tried to bring in a forward and a wide player. Canā€™t remember what he was called but he went to borough. I suppose the next question is if you canā€™t get the ones you want, do you bring someone just to make up the numbers. We clearly decided not to which Iā€™m very pleased about. It is clear to me we could do with some different types in the squad, but as has been said already, they have to be of the required standard. That is much harder to achieve. Particularly when we are operating with a disadvantage with our small playing budget.

Sep 3, 2009
Ennis a massive miss for us. Shame how it turned out. The reason he hasnā€™t been effectively replaced is because clubs with deeper pockets have hoovered up players in his bracket. Until we unearth the next young player like him, we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Itā€™s not rocket science.

mutley marvel

Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Schuey & the boys learn in every game they play
We have creative players who can make things happen
We have firepower
But we don't have knowledge & know how in navigating the league we are now in
Yes we have a sprinkling of older players that the played in the Championship (Joe)- but the dynamic of the league has changed since he played in it
Every team we play has streetwise, physical, brick sh****ouse players with serious pace to burn
We don't have that
The mantra we will score more than you has also changed - we find it hard to navigate battle hardened Championship teams that have been around the block , know how to stop the Argyle cohesive machine & know when the time is right to pick us off
We have plenty of fight, desire & passion but we need some older heads
A Challenger 2 tank type of defender who can lead the defensive unit & is calm under pressure (some one who has been around the Championship block)
We have goals in the team but if we cannot stop our collective defensive frailties we will probably finish the season on a minus goal difference
Keep the backdoor shut is the priority in the January transfer window

Jan 6, 2004
The big loss was Ennis, hugely under-rated player and the perfect alternative to Hardie, the fact we could mix and match those two last season was a massive factor in our success. Mayor and Cosgrove not good enough for the Championship in my view. I think the club would accept that they did not get the strikers they wanted over the summer, we put all our eggs in the Coburn basket and the basket fell. Had it not I think we would be a good few places higher. I hope there is a striker target lined up for January as well as central defender, Gibson is excelling but neither Pleggy nor Scarr are performing quite to the standard required imo.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2013
What would you be expecting from Issaka? Last Thursday (Youth Cup) most of his action was cutting in from the left touchline. Clearly very talented, but not in any sense one to hold the ball or provide any heading capability
What would you be expecting from Issaka? Last Thursday (Youth Cup) most of his action was cutting in from the left touchline. Clearly very talented, but not in any sense one to hold the ball or provide any heading capability.
Iā€™d be expecting exactly what we saw from Freddie last week! Iā€™d put him on as sub to replace Hardie or Bundu (or indeed Whittaker) to use his skill and pace, in preference to Waine who hasnā€™t shown yet that he can ā€œcut itā€, and therefore for me continues to disappoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun Stonehouse
Jun 27, 2019
Concise and well argued post, but the facts are that we don't struggle for goals, we struggle for clean sheets. I'm personally not a fan of 433 and prefer the 343 we played last year.
I think we have a young vibrant team that is just lacking nouse and experience - I think we could be good enough and will be good enough, but clearly aren't quite there yet. I think we have recruited reasonably well, but not perfectly and just hope we can correct the mistakes in Jan.
This was the point I was going to make. How can it be a problem that we haven't replaced three attacking players when we're among the highest goalscorers in the division?

Okay, so I get that someone like Ennis had the ball retention qualities that can take pressure off a team, but the key issue for me is that our back four just aren't good enough as a unit. Scarr and Pleguezuelo have both had more troughs than peaks and are both better suited to a back three IMO, while only one of our fullbacks (Joe Edwards) is actually any good at 1v1 defending.

If for some reason we lost Schuey tomorrow, you can guarantee any new manager coming in would immediately set about trying to make us more solid at the back - be it through recruitment or on the training ground.

The return of Saxon Earley should help, but we have no idea how he'll cope with the step up in standard.

I still think it was a mistake to abandon our successful formation from last season. The tactical tweaks Schuey made after the MK Dons 5-0 were wildly successful, but I think he got a bit carried away with his own success in rolling the tactical dice again this summer.

You sign two players for a million quid and then play them in different positions in which all and sundry can see they aren't as effective. Dan Scarr was recruited to play in a three but is now being asked to play in a two against Championship forwards. He's coping but only just. Callum Wright was recruited as a No.10 but is being played out wide. Azaz has been good but his very best form for us came when he had another No.10 alongside him.

I think it was a change that was made for the sake of change and one that isn't getting the best out of our squad.