Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove... | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove...

Aug 22, 2006
Bit slow to the party (!) but replacements for Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove? This season those three have made 50 appearances and scored 4 goals between them- more than half in League One.
Hardly the suggested goal machines!
Sorry you are not getting the point of this thread. We didn't replace them, let alone replace them with better players.
We have no options up front apart from Hardie.

Hope that clears things up.

Aug 22, 2006
We've scored plenty of goals this season without those 3 players. I'm not convinced that is the issue.
It is the main issue by a country mile i'm afraid. My original point was about having not replaced those three options, bearing in mind we were in league 1 so the emphasis on more fire power in champ is even greater.

Since Azaz and Cundle have left we've scored 8 goals in 7 league matches. Ample proof.
Most of our goals are scored by Hardie or Whittaker, in fact only Randell has more than 2 goals aside from those two players.

We can talk about the back 3 or Hazard or who to play at wing back... the reason we are where we are is due to lack of options in attack. That's all. The fact Whittaker stayed last month was fantastic but it really did hoodwink most fans. We were all happy he stayed but we forgot about a simple fact which is we needed more firepower in attack. We are now at least one AM down and a striker down. If we go down that's the reason why. Hardie bless him must be absolutely knackered. The Plan B and C that we could implement last season is not to be seen this time around... I mean wing backs won't win us matches... Who is to blame? You tell me...

Last edited:
Reactions: elburtontrev
Jul 12, 2016
So we get someone else in, second choice as it were, and then when Coburn is released we have to put up with second best???
We effectively put “all our eggs in one basket”. You can come up with any excuses you like but the fact is ,that for whatever reason ,we have failed to sign a forward in two transfer windows.

Reactions: Argyleloyal

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
We effectively put “all our eggs in one basket”. You can come up with any excuses you like but the fact is ,that for whatever reason ,we have failed to sign a forward in two transfer windows.
Can't disagree. Getting an 'away game' type striker was essential in this window, however with the carnage that occurred before and during the transfer window, I don't think we can moan too much. We're still picking up the pieces from when SS left. Stay in the league and IF will have a full preseason, with the players he wants. That's where he'll be measured

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The heading for this thread is a tad ambiguous. Yes, we have had numbers of playing personnel that have replaced those named players but the difference is, that those new replacements bring different skill levels to the squad. I am not too fussed about the departure of Ennis and Cosgrove, but I am with Mayor. He possessed high skill levels and was adept at picking up a ball in front of the back 3 / 4 and taking it forward at a decent pace, relieving defensive pressure. It was strategic, time and time again over the seasons he was with Argyle. I admit he was no great goal scorer / poacher but he was strong on assists. At the moment Argyle does not possess his clone and he is missed. Whether the pace of The Championship would have negated his ability, I am not sure. I accept Forshaw shows high level midfield skills but the jury remains out whether he can eclipse Mayor magic on the ball.

Reactions: Moorlander
Feb 8, 2005
Not for the want of trying. Remember, forwards cost.

Feb 8, 2005
The heading for this thread is a tad ambiguous. Yes, we have had numbers of playing personnel that have replaced those named players but the difference is, that those new replacements bring different skill levels to the squad. I am not too fussed about the departure of Ennis and Cosgrove, but I am with Mayor. He possessed high skill levels and was adept at picking up a ball in front of the back 3 / 4 and taking it forward at a decent pace, relieving defensive pressure. It was strategic, time and time again over the seasons he was with Argyle. I admit he was no great goal scorer / poacher but he was strong on assists. At the moment Argyle does not possess his clone and he is missed. Whether the pace of The Championship would have negated his ability, I am not sure. I accept Forshaw shows high level midfield skills but the jury remains out whether he can eclipse Mayor magic on the ball.
It was Mayor's decision to leave, not ours.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
Sorry you are not getting the point of this thread. We didn't replace them, let alone replace them with better players.
We have no options up front apart from Hardie.

Hope that clears things up.
Cheers for the sarcasm. Looking at your other responses yours is the only correct view.

Jul 12, 2016
Mayor is hardly pulling up trees at his new club yet some think he was good enough for the championship?

Sep 7, 2006
London
Sorry to bring this up again but threads / opinions about Hazard being not good enough (he's the least of our worries) or our defence being too weak etc. or Foster's style of play is small-talk. In the grand scheme of things this is mainly why we are where we are BEARING IN MIND THIS THREAD WAS MADE BEFORE CUNDLE AND AZAZ HAD LEFT. SINCE THEN WE'VE BROUGHT IN DEVINE... A CHAP THAT PLAYED PREDOMINANTLY IN CDM FOR PORT VALE. IN SUMMARY (SORRY I'M SHOUTING IT'S BECAUSE NO ONE REALLY LISTENS) WE SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT IN AT LEAST TWO MORE ATTACKING PLAYERS... AND ONE OF THOSE FOR SURE A STRIKER... WE HAVEN'T BROUGHT IN A FORWARD FOR 3 TRANSFER WINDOWS... WHO IS TO BLAME? YOU TELL ME?
1) SCOUTS
2) DEWSNIP
3) HALLETT
4) FORSTER
5) SCHUEY
Devine is an attacking midfielder.

If you have Argyle TV, go to the post Coventry press conference at about 6 mins. He says quite clearly: it's his position, and that he ended up deeper at PV due to circumstances in their squad/season.

Every football webpage has his primary position listed as AMC.

It's a shame he has only played well against Coventry, but there's no use rewriting who/what he is.

Reactions: jimsing