Recruitment (in January) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recruitment (in January)

Sep 3, 2011
We are going to be so far behind every other team next season regardless of what league we are in. Firstly we have to go through the process of selecting a manager, thats May taken care of. Then he (or she!) has to bring in their backroom team, no chance of assessing our current squad as they are off for June. Now July who's staying, who going, what is the budget, that's July. Oh look here, s August, a new season, half the team have left and not much time to bring in and build a new team. Welcome to Christmas 🎄. All in all chaos, many thanks Mr Schumacher, have a long and successful career. Anyone fancy a half price season ticket!.
They really should be appointing the manager within a week of the season finishing

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
They really should be appointing the manager within a week of the season finishing
It's been said a few times that we're not going to start the process of looking for a manager until after we know what division we're going to be in. There's no need for a rushed appointment. Most of what will need to be done over the summer will come under Dewsnip's role to sort out anyway.

Oct 31, 2015
If you have a look at the players signed over the last 2 x January Windows. Both have been abysmal 🤦

Not sure the data or whatever we use works

Jan 16, 2024
Recruitment in January is usually a bit of hit and miss. I'll therefore park digging into who we did sign, but as mentioned on the boards during the window and post, the lack of signing a striker has hit us hard. Once Hardie and Whittakers' goals dried up, we've had very limited options.

Jul 6, 2005
The general consensus seems to be that with the benefits of the Academy being at least 5 years away and an inability to attract serious investment, we have no chance of becoming an established Championship club and we should settle for being a top half League 1 club for the foreseeable future; how depressing after all the hard work of the last 4 or 5 years.

I'm eternally half-empty when it comes to Argyle but I don't see it that way.

We showed up to January that we could compete at this level, but once Foster really got to grips with the team, we slowly but surely started to slide.

Those responsible for the disastrous appointment of Foster have a lot to answer for.

We lost our ability to out-smart our wealthier opponents, not just with the appointment of Foster, but by a really poor January transfer window in signing players who as a collective group, added very little to the squad.

With better management and decision making, I think we could survive as a lower mid-table Championship club.

I'm not saying that we could "do a Luton" and get an unlikely promotion to the Premier League, but I don't accept we cannot compete at this level.

Let's hope Norwich come good for us next Saturday.

Aug 8, 2014
The general consensus seems to be that with the benefits of the Academy being at least 5 years away and an inability to attract serious investment, we have no chance of becoming an established Championship club and we should settle for being a top half League 1 club for the foreseeable future; how depressing after all the hard work of the last 4 or 5 years.

We showed up to January that we could compete at this level, but once Foster really got to grips with the team, we slowly but surely started to slide.

Those responsible for the disastrous appointment of Foster have a lot to answer for.

We lost our ability to out-smart our wealthier opponents, not just with the appointment of Foster, but by a really poor January transfer window in signing players who as a collective group, added very little to the squad.

With better management and decision making, I think we could survive as a lower mid-table Championship club.

I'm not saying that we could "do a Luton" and get an unlikely promotion to the Premier League, but I don't accept we cannot compete at this level.

Totally agree.......

Post January we haven't laid a glove. Leicester was outstanding effort all round, but it was only a freak result, as MGM regularly points out, what is this teams identity, I feel the lack of any different attacking options is the difference, but I feel no doubt we could have been pro active with recruitment from lower leagues and abroad

Reactions: Deacster
Dec 16, 2004
I regret to say that I'm feeling all this "weact smarter than others" has proved to be nothing more than a marketing spiel. We've been outsmarted by most of those teams that were below us a couple of months ago. Plus our recruitment (manager and players) has been terrible. Warnock would have seen us home, I believe.

Jul 6, 2005
I regret to say that I'm feeling all this "weact smarter than others" has proved to be nothing more than a marketing spiel. We've been outsmarted by most of those teams that were below us a couple of months ago. Plus our recruitment (manager and players) has been terrible. Warnock would have seen us home, I believe.
I don't think it's marketing spiel, last season proved that.

We won the Division with a mid-table budget.

As I said, poor management and poor decision making have been our undoing since January.

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
I couldn't agree more.

It's actually quite arrogant to suggest that we are smarter than other clubs or will "out smart" them.

And the suggestion that we are better because we have data driven analysis is ludicrous. Do people honestly think that other clubs don't utilise that approach. In all honesty we are like a Poundland Brighton in that regard. If De Zerbi goes Brighton will know exactly who they want to replace him.

I'm afraid that whilst Mr Hallett has done wonders, in so many ways its same old Argyle. The decision to appoint Foster was inexplicable . To allow him to remain in post for so long was reprehensible and the decision not to appoint a permanent replacement or experienced caretaker like Warnock smacks of incompetance and penny pinching.

Reactions: Harry
Jul 12, 2016

Once again conveniently overlooking the fact we may have been competing up to January but by then other teams had susssed us out, our away form was dreadful and we has lost our engine room and manager.

Dec 16, 2004
I don't think it's marketing spiel, last season proved that.

We won the Division with a mid-table budget.

As I said, poor management and poor decision making have been our undoing since January.

So what's been smarter? We were told we had contingency for all outcomes. We didn't have contingency for the most damaging (and most likely) i.e. manager leaving. We didn't have contingency for losing our loan players in January. We used the success of last season to develop this "we are smarter rhetoric". Last season was largely down to SS and how he was able to galvanise the players and attract new. The smart ones have proved to be Blackburn, Stoke, Wednesday, Millwall, Swansea, QPR and maybe even Birmingham.

Jul 12, 2016
We have relied too much on data driven recruitment. People are not commodities.
Hopefully SH has had a wake up call in this respect.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
It's been said a few times that we're not going to start the process of looking for a manager until after we know what division we're going to be in. There's no need for a rushed appointment. Most of what will need to be done over the summer will come under Dewsnip's role to sort out anyway.

No need for a rush appointment? I’m not sure on that, I would like to think a appointment would be made within a couple weeks of season ending and would like to think there’s a list of names drawn up, one being for Championship and the other being for league 1

Reactions: Stbkk