Recruitment (in January) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recruitment (in January)

Apr 22, 2019
Well every decision from December 19th onwards was wrong, which at least were honest mistakes next to the deliberate decision the previous manager made to shaft us.

It’s clear there wasn’t actually a contingency plan in place for an SS departure, given the muddle of January and not even having coaching staff for several weeks. And linked to that, we need to have a clearer recruitment strategy which should be informed by our year’s experience in the division.

Basically we got to where we were through superb decision making made by the right people appointed in the right positions, somehow that all went out of the window in January and we need to use that experience to ensure it never happens again.
I agree that this appears to be the case and if so, it’s very surprising and rather concerning. I’m sure I’ve read comments from the club hierarchy that all bases were covered regarding “sudden leavers” or have I imagined that/picked up rumours rather than facts?

The other point that seems strange is that the previous manager had apparently made prior “job applications” whilst at Argyle. Surely management would have been aware of that?

Dec 18, 2023
I agree that this appears to be the case and if so, it’s very surprising and rather concerning. I’m sure I’ve read comments from the club hierarchy that all bases were covered regarding “sudden leavers” or have I imagined that/picked up rumours rather than facts?

The other point that seems strange is that the previous manager had apparently made prior “job applications” whilst at Argyle. Surely management would have been aware of that?
This last point has been bugging me for a while now.
Football is a work-place that cannot keep secrets like this.
So, you have to assume our Board knew that $$ was touting himself around. If so we should have had some sort of plan so as to recruit ourselves quickly and efficiently.
If we didnt know, then what is going on because it seems everyone else seemed to know about it, why were we not asking questions of $$, or getting assurances that it is all crap.
Usually when these things crop up a contract extension may get place in front of the Manager. If he signs all well and good. If he delays it tells you they are not committed and the rumours are probably true.
All very pedestrian and naive.
Which if the case will surely follow through on to player negotiations and transfers.
The club is run very well, no doubt about that. But, I would guess its a standing thing in football circles that Plymouth Argyle are cheap.
We pay low wages, we usually sell players cheaper (we will see this time with Morgan).
We go for the cheap option, and end up with quantity rather than quality.

Reactions: Realist
Sep 3, 2011
It's been said a few times that we're not going to start the process of looking for a manager until after we know what division we're going to be in. There's no need for a rushed appointment. Most of what will need to be done over the summer will come under Dewsnip's role to sort out anyway.
Assuming there's no changes in staffing

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
It's been said a few times that we're not going to start the process of looking for a manager until after we know what division we're going to be in. There's no need for a rushed appointment. Most of what will need to be done over the summer will come under Dewsnip's role to sort out anyway.
Mmm

Mar 3, 2021
The way we are financed is league one standard and as long as there is no big investment into the club is where we belong the championship is out of our funding limit.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Somebody might correct me, but I think it was Dewsnip who said in September after the summer window had closed without signing another striker that we didn't actually need one because of the way we play, i.e. only one up front.

He did say that but I think it was just an excuse because we put all our eggs in one basket and was holding on to Middlesbroughs word about getting Coburn in on loan

Reactions: elburtontrev
Oct 15, 2017
It's an inconvenient truth that we aren't ready to be a Championship club yet. Our budget, our training facilities and our academy are miles away from the required standard. Changes are afoot thanks to our outstanding owner but now, today, we're nowhere near.

The Snake saw it coming and couldn't wait to leave. Azaz was cherry-picked for a price that was bargain basement by Championship standards but completely unreachable for us. We desperately needed attacking reinforcements in January but we clearly didn't have the money. Our captain wouldn't get into any other squad in this division, apart from Rotherham's, but is a regular in our first XI. We've got one senior striker for goodness sake!

It's not a criticism of the club, it's just a fact and one we need to accept. We're a League One club and that's where we'll return, if not next week then next season.

It's all very depressing.

While I hate what Shue did we can't keep blaming him for our demise
we had plenty of time to recover by appointing an experienced
manager and his backroom staff but we failed to do that and employed rank amateurs and now we find ourselves in this dire
situation.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
I couldn't agree more.

It's actually quite arrogant to suggest that we are smarter than other clubs or will "out smart" them.

And the suggestion that we are better because we have data driven analysis is ludicrous. Do people honestly think that other clubs don't utilise that approach. In all honesty we are like a Poundland Brighton in that regard. If De Zerbi goes Brighton will know exactly who they want to replace him.

I'm afraid that whilst Mr Hallett has done wonders, in so many ways its same old Argyle. The decision to appoint Foster was inexplicable . To allow him to remain in post for so long was reprehensible and the decision not to appoint a permanent replacement or experienced caretaker like Warnock smacks of incompetance and penny pinching.
Arrogance that Dewsnip could return the Schuey times

Reactions: Said old Green
Jul 28, 2020
I love you simon ( mr.hallett) but come on - this was always going to be a very silly idea.

Getting a guy on provisional plates ( mr.foster) to drive this juggernaut.

Was always going to lead to a very bad smash !

Dewsnip is more to blame- getting his 'long haired lover from liverpool' in to do the job

Every body is starting to see through this silly ( emperors clothes) ( young coach with no experience) idea- millwall have dumped Edwards and got old hand neil harris in

This is the major part of our probable relegation

The other issue is the player recruitment- we have got our sums SO wrong here

Potentially missing out on sky TV money for the sake of the cost of bringing in two decent strikers - we should have opened the purse strings to sign femi azeez and also backed the recruitment team over their attacking targets

Sorry to say so - but these were very foreseeable errors ....which it seems will have hugely costly repercussions...

Sep 12, 2015
I couldn't agree more.

It's actually quite arrogant to suggest that we are smarter than other clubs or will "out smart" them.

And the suggestion that we are better because we have data driven analysis is ludicrous. Do people honestly think that other clubs don't utilise that approach. In all honesty we are like a Poundland Brighton in that regard. If De Zerbi goes Brighton will know exactly who they want to replace him.

I'm afraid that whilst Mr Hallett has done wonders, in so many ways its same old Argyle. The decision to appoint Foster was inexplicable . To allow him to remain in post for so long was reprehensible and the decision not to appoint a permanent replacement or experienced caretaker like Warnock smacks of incompetance and penny pinching.
True penny pinching is what I hear as well .

Reactions: Said old Green
Sep 12, 2015
And spending money you dont have or won't be able to repay if borrowed, it could cost our existence. We got away with it once. Doing the same again would be, at best, careless.
Who is paying for all these young loanees. from other clubs and if I may add aren’t playing , shorely that money could have possibly paid for cobourn wages or say mattee both players would have helped us dramatically imo .

Feb 16, 2023
This last point has been bugging me for a while now.
Football is a work-place that cannot keep secrets like this.
So, you have to assume our Board knew that $$ was touting himself around. If so we should have had some sort of plan so as to recruit ourselves quickly and efficiently.
If we didnt know, then what is going on because it seems everyone else seemed to know about it, why were we not asking questions of $$, or getting assurances that it is all crap.
Usually when these things crop up a contract extension may get place in front of the Manager. If he signs all well and good. If he delays it tells you they are not committed and the rumours are probably true.
All very pedestrian and naive.
Which if the case will surely follow through on to player negotiations and transfers.
The club is run very well, no doubt about that. But, I would guess its a standing thing in football circles that Plymouth Argyle are cheap.
We pay low wages, we usually sell players cheaper (we will see this time with Morgan).
We go for the cheap option, and end up with quantity rather than quality.
We didn’t sell Morgan in January though?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

I wouldn’t say we need to rush, but we also shouldn’t take too much time over the process.

Now that Lincoln have missed out on the play offs I do wonder whether we could move now to approach Skubala?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I wouldn’t say we need to rush, but we also shouldn’t take too much time over the process.

Now that Lincoln have missed out on the play offs I do wonder whether we could move now to approach Skubala?
I think he'll still be Lincoln manager next season. It's difficult to judge him so far as he's been in management for such a short space of time. It will be interesting to see how he does when he has to build a squad, something he hasn't had to do yet. Too early in his managerial career for me to be sold on him as there's too much he hasn't experienced yet. I think a lot of clubs will have similar reservations.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think he'll still be Lincoln manager next season. It's difficult to judge him so far as he's been in management for such a short space of time. It will be interesting to see how he does when he has to build a squad, something he hasn't had to do yet. Too early in his managerial career for me to be sold on him as there's too much he hasn't experienced yet. I think a lot of clubs will have similar reservations.

Yep, that’s fair enough. I’d probably prefer Williamson from MK Dons given he’s been a manager for 5 seasons now and has been successful at 2 clubs - but MK Dons’ involvement in the L2 play offs might make things difficult.

Reactions: Argy1e