Recruitment (in January) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recruitment (in January)

Sep 2, 2018
Basel
Last Jan we signed Earley, Wright x2, Waine, Matete . Season before that, Jan was Alfie Lewis and Sessegnon. None of them have been successful. Waine and Wright perhaps the only players to have given us anything

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Last Jan we signed Earley, Wright x2, Waine, Matete . Season before that, Jan was Alfie Lewis and Sessegnon. None of them have been successful. Waine and Wright perhaps the only players to have given us anything

I‘d be tempted to say Matete was the pick of the bunch, and Sessegnon was decent too.

Earley is a player too, I reckon.

Reactions: saxman
Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
With hindsight our biggest mistake was not signing Azaz in the summer, if he was Available or if we could realistically afford him.
As for Jan it was a mess. If didnt work, loan signings didnt work.

But we will never know who was avilable and at what price 🤔.
Its easy too look back now and say we should have got x,y,z but SS leaving put a huge massive spanner in the works.

I personally think Jan transfer window should not exist and loan signings it should be up to the current club to release them and not allow parent clubs to cut short a loan.

You can have the best strikers but if no creativity in midfield they will not score.

Sep 7, 2006
London
I agree that Gyabi has been a miss but Butcher seems to have become a better player since he left. Many completely wrote him off after the backpass at Cardiff and even before that he was regularly targeted as 'not Championship standard'. Gillesphey was the same - murdered when he left a ball that spun back into play, written off as not good enough. Within a week or two of joining Charlton he was seen by some as the answer to our problems.
I agree! And I have to be honest that personally I didn't see Butcher as that useful in the Championship at the time. He didn't play much first half of the season, but when he did he didn't look great.

But where we are now, we're quite simply lacking bodies, which was completely foreseeable!

Started season with Houghton, Butcher, Randell, Warrington, Cundle, Azaz, C.Wright.
  • Seven.
  • Warrington injured a lot, meaning we had 6 most of the time.
  • Butcher didn't seem important with those options, particularly in Schuey's 4-3-3.
Ended season with Houghton, Randell, Gyabi, Forshaw, C.Wright, Devine.
  • Six - effectively 5.5 given Forshaw's known fitness record.
  • Gyabi now injured long-term like Warrington, so we have 4.5.
(Bit confusing to include Azaz, C.Wright, Devine, as in some formations they're "forwards" - can't see how else to count though)

Reactions: memory man
Jul 28, 2020
After ian Foster's first game, the 1-1 draw with huddersfield on 13 january our goal difference was -2 , now it is -12 I believe.

Talk of Shuey being to blame for our current plight is well off the mark, in my view

Although there will be many factors which lead to our relegation ( in that event - which now seems increasingly likely ),(further thread to follow on this, in that event) the ' authors ' of the decisions re the managerial succesor to Shuey and who to sign and who not to sign, how much to invest, as well as the bizarre reported decision to 'bin' the reconnaissance of the recruitment team, will have played the MAJOR part in the relegation.

There is no doubt that we left the january transfer window considerably weaker than when we entered it, and that's not just due to finn azaz's departure. Thats inconsistent with a team that has any ambitions in the league. t's my opinion that the recruitment team will have identified a replacement for azaz - and I wonder why this wasnt followed through upon ?

The purported 'data' led recruitment has seemingly been replaced by a 'contacts' based system....to our cost and to our detriment IMO

It will be interesting to see if the two guys in our recruitment team stay on after this season, because, frankly, why should they ?

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Signed season long loans in the close season expecting these players to be with us all season
January came around & Finn, KKH & Cundle were whisked away under our noses
Compounded with the amount of time it took to chose a replacement Head Coach we were always on catch up in the January transfer window
Were the players recruited in January always the targets or was it just panicked recruitment to fill the squad
I guess we will never know
The end of season post mortem will no doubt look at this seasons short comings

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Not just player recruitment but Hallett has to accept slot of responsibility for foster and foster is a big reason we are in the position we are in. Foster alone has set us back 3 years.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Not just player recruitment but Hallett has to accept slot of responsibility for foster and foster is a big reason we are in the position we are in. Foster alone has set us back 3 years.
Has he though?

I agree that his appointment wasn’t a great one, and it does seem that his actions whilst employed led to a huge loss of positivity, pride and optimism in the club, but I am not entirely convinced that we’d be in any kind of better shape with any other head coach/manager. There’s just not enough quality or depth in the squad. It might be argued that this is, in part, down to Foster’s recruitment of England youth players in January but maybe without him we wouldn’t even have had those (if there was no budget available for anyone better and/or given the time constraints).

None of the other struggling teams that changed manager (appointing more experience) at around that time have done much better which surely tells us something. Apart from Stoke I guess…

Sep 26, 2009
Looking at today's results , one of S Wed's scorers was Ike Ugbo - on loan from a 2nd division French team (Troyes) who was brought in during the January window. Has now scored 8 goals since then and must be a big reason for their revival . SW either have a brilliant scouting team or just pretty jammy.

Jul 12, 2016
After ian Foster's first game, the 1-1 draw with huddersfield on 13 january our goal difference was -2 , now it is -12 I believe.

Talk of Shuey being to blame for our current plight is well off the mark, in my view

Although there will be many factors which lead to our relegation ( in that event - which now seems increasingly likely ),(further thread to follow on this, in that event) the ' authors ' of the decisions re the managerial succesor to Shuey and who to sign and who not to sign, how much to invest, as well as the bizarre reported decision to 'bin' the reconnaissance of the recruitment team, will have played the MAJOR part in the relegation.

There is no doubt that we left the january transfer window considerably weaker than when we entered it, and that's not just due to finn azaz's departure. Thats inconsistent with a team that has any ambitions in the league. t's my opinion that the recruitment team will have identified a replacement for azaz - and I wonder why this wasnt followed through upon ?

The purported 'data' led recruitment has seemingly been replaced by a 'contacts' based system....to our cost and to our detriment IMO

It will be interesting to see if the two guys in our recruitment team stay on after this season, because, frankly, why should they ?
I agree if they can’t do better than they did in January they should go.

Jul 12, 2016
Looking at today's results , one of S Wed's scorers was Ike Ugbo - on loan from a 2nd division French team (Troyes) who was brought in during the January window. Has now scored 8 goals since then and must be a big reason for their revival . SW either have a brilliant scouting team or just pretty jammy.
They probably checked him out in person rather than looking at a spreadsheet.

Reactions: Moorlander
Sep 28, 2022
We are going to be so far behind every other team next season regardless of what league we are in. Firstly we have to go through the process of selecting a manager, thats May taken care of. Then he (or she!) has to bring in their backroom team, no chance of assessing our current squad as they are off for June. Now July who's staying, who going, what is the budget, that's July. Oh look here, s August, a new season, half the team have left and not much time to bring in and build a new team. Welcome to Christmas 🎄. All in all chaos, many thanks Mr Schumacher, have a long and successful career. Anyone fancy a half price season ticket!.

• Sad
Reactions: East DevonGreen