Recruitment (in January) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recruitment (in January)

Mar 23, 2008
It's a fair point regarding scouting. The stats may have told us that Tyreik Wright had something about him, perhaps dribbles per game ratio? However the eyes would have told any scout otherwise.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Maybe the poor January transfer period was down to Foster, i'm assuming that Dewy and Nance had some targets chosen but Foster did'nt want them because he did'nt know them and he went with the 18/19 year olds because he knew them instead.
Just a thought.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
January was certainly down to foster but the club had to sanction it

Reactions: elburtontrev

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Has he though?

I agree that his appointment wasn’t a great one, and it does seem that his actions whilst employed led to a huge loss of positivity, pride and optimism in the club, but I am not entirely convinced that we’d be in any kind of better shape with any other head coach/manager. There’s just not enough quality or depth in the squad. It might be argued that this is, in part, down to Foster’s recruitment of England youth players in January but maybe without him we wouldn’t even have had those (if there was no budget available for anyone better and/or given the time constraints).

None of the other struggling teams that changed manager (appointing more experience) at around that time have done much better which surely tells us something. Apart from Stoke I guess…
Do you exclude the Millwall ? Their recovery (and that of Wednesday and QPR) are the ones that have done for us.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Maybe the poor January transfer period was down to Foster, i'm assuming that Dewy and Nance had some targets chosen but Foster did'nt want them because he did'nt know them and he went with the 18/19 year olds because he knew them instead.
Just a thought.
You may well be right but this is complete conjecture.

Jan 6, 2004
It's an inconvenient truth that we aren't ready to be a Championship club yet. Our budget, our training facilities and our academy are miles away from the required standard. Changes are afoot thanks to our outstanding owner but now, today, we're nowhere near.
Sadly facilities are not the issue. We already have a healthy championship revenue but to be competitive you have to spend more than you earn. This is nuts, championship football collectively is a massively successful product and has no need to run at a huge loss, but it is where we are. The only way to change it is remove parachute payments and have a strict wages to revenue cap of say 65%

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Has he though?

I agree that his appointment wasn’t a great one, and it does seem that his actions whilst employed led to a huge loss of positivity, pride and optimism in the club, but I am not entirely convinced that we’d be in any kind of better shape with any other head coach/manager. There’s just not enough quality or depth in the squad. It might be argued that this is, in part, down to Foster’s recruitment of England youth players in January but maybe without him we wouldn’t even have had those (if there was no budget available for anyone better and/or given the time constraints).

None of the other struggling teams that changed manager (appointing more experience) at around that time have done much better which surely tells us something. Apart from Stoke I guess…

It seems obvious but the best chance of establishing ourselves went when Schumacher left. Harmonious squad and a decent January window based on targets that had been jointly agreed and we would have been fine given the league position at the time. That’s why jumping ship - and the timing in particular - was so damaging.

But the appointment of Foster was just wrong, and felt wrong to me from the first murmurings. He magnified - not rectified - our issues by imposing too much too quickly and destroying whatever was left of a bond as well as recruiting badly. And to the last point I have no doubts that our January activity went back to the drawing board with his appointment and ended up with us scratching around for youngsters and players that clubs wanted to offload for different reasons - principally because we granted him authority (understandably for a new head coach to be fair), and that he just didn’t have the contacts or pulling power (coupled with our financial limitations) for the quality we needed.

And so we move on to ND/KN who seemed a reasonable choice based on quickly re-establishing the team bond. It worked with a bounce for the first few games culminating with a strong backs to the wall performance against Leicester. 48 points should be enough many people said but no, other teams saw some sort of resurgence and our feel good bounce ended. Suddenly, that isn’t enough. You need quality players and proper management and on that it’s obvious where we are lacking.

Yet after all this it’s still in our hands. Has this group of players got it in them to produce something special? A group that consists of some who are ‘want aways‘ (reportedly), other team’s youngsters and some who are struggling at this level. Maybe that’s the best option - to show them that people are doubting them and they have something to prove. Maybe that will bring about something outstanding next week. I hope so.

Jun 27, 2019
Sadly facilities are not the issue. We already have a healthy championship revenue but to be competitive you have to spend more than you earn. This is nuts, championship football collectively is a massively successful product and has no need to run at a huge loss, but it is where we are. The only way to change it is remove parachute payments and have a strict wages to revenue cap of say 65%
They're not the issue but they're definitely part of the problem. I've been to a dozen or so training grounds in this league and they all make Harper's look like a primary school field. We're light years behind even the likes of Swansea, Hull and Cardiff, who historically we were on a par with.

Dewsnip even had to pester the club to put up the money for a temporary gym, which wouldn't have gone down well with Schumacher and no doubt contributed to his decision to start looking elsewhere.

May 8, 2011
Just a thought.
Not sure that is true as the recruitment process as described at various meeting with fans only gives the Head Coach the final say after a player is identified and due diligence carried out.
Why the senior management at the Club would allow the process to be suddenly circumvented seems odd.
Foster was announced on the 5th January and Phillips arrived on the 8th so that’s quick work if he wasn’t on the target list to speak to his parent Club, his agent and him to get him in in 3 days.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Not sure that is true as the recruitment process as described at various meeting with fans only gives the Head Coach the final say after a player is identified and due diligence carried out.
Why the senior management at the Club would allow the process to be suddenly circumvented seems odd.
Foster was announced on the 5th January and Phillips arrived on the 8th so that’s quick work if he wasn’t on the target list to speak to his parent Club, his agent and him to get him in in 3 days.
Hallett was asked about recruitment on the podcast he did, and his response suggested that we don't really have that strong a recruitment model, because he was saying about how data can be used in different ways by different people to try and back up their points. Ultimately, nearly everyone we signed had worked for Foster before, and he'd played a massive role in the really poor recruitment.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

Andrew Parkinson’s statement made it clear Foster was the man making those decisions... if it wasn’t already from the England U20 links. Loan transfers can happen very quickly, look at the transfer deadline day.

You’re right, it’s incredibly odd how we veered off course and will form a big part of the post-mortem.

Reactions: elburtontrev
Aug 8, 2014
Looking at today's results , one of S Wed's scorers was Ike Ugbo - on loan from a 2nd division French team (Troyes) who was brought in during the January window. Has now scored 8 goals since then and must be a big reason for their revival . SW either have a brilliant scouting team or just pretty jammy.
This is what I really struggle with. We didn't take a punt on a couple of 'unknowns'. We needed different options off the bench but didn't recruit anyone. I was excited by the Azzez rumours as it would have been different, no guarantees that foster would have done anything different with more options but we owed it to Hardie and Morgs to have tried.

Reactions: Paul green14

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'm not so sure out-smarting and data driven procedures alone work at Championship level whereas, unfortunately, spending money and having an experienced manager more than likely does work.
Brentford bucked the trend with data analysis but still spent decent money.

We did spend £1 million each on two players, one has been very successful for 3/4 of the season and the other has been average.
But we didn't really spend money elsewhere in the squad and it is all part of becoming a financially sustainable club, which is understandable if we avoid relegation.

The fans have really financially backed the club with sold out games, record ST sales, record shirt sales, record merchandise sales and subscriptions to Argyle TV and Evergreen. We can't do anymore.

Jan 6, 2004
They're not the issue but they're definitely part of the problem. I've been to a dozen or so training grounds in this league and they all make Harper's look like a primary school field. We're light years behind even the likes of Swansea, Hull and Cardiff, who historically we were on a par with.

Dewsnip even had to pester the club to put up the money for a temporary gym, which wouldn't have gone down well with Schumacher and no doubt contributed to his decision to start looking elsewhere.
I don't disagree with that but that is not the reason we are not competitive in the championship, our playing budget is the problem, and a new gym and smart training facilities are not going to change that. This is essentially why the other investors, who recognised this, fell out with Simon. It is also I think a major factor in Schumacher leaving - leaving when he did is now looking a very smart move. I rather suspect we would not be in a dissimilar position even had he stayed.

I dont blame Simon, he has given so much to the club already and he is not obliged to invest more than he is comfortable with, but it seems apparent that with him as the sole major investor we cannot realistically aspire to much more than league one with the occasional tourist trip to the championship if we get the alchemy right every now and then. Perhaps we just have to accept that is what we are as a club and embrace it in preference to a big money take over.

Frankly if we stay up with what seems to me a weaker squad than we left league one with, it will be a miracle and unless there is major change behind the scenes and in the squad over the summer we will be rooted to the bottom next season as its likely all the clubs coming up will have bigger budgets than us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devizes Green