QPR Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

QPR Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

Jan 6, 2004
Some serious over reaction guys. Grim, huffed and puffed, we're down, we need a miracle, they were far the better side...come on. This is still in our hands. What is promising is that we started to look a bit like Pre-Foster Argyle. Not perfect by any stretch, but at least it felt as tho we might score as we went forward.
I think the pessimism is largely because of the obvious reality that with the loss of Azaz, the total loss of form of Hardie and Whittaker in decent championship player rather than world beater mode only Rotherham are worse than us. On playing form alone we are going down, so we need luck.

Having said that Leicester will try to play and that often suits us, if they remain off their game as they have been recently and we can play to our full potential we have a chance of a result, but both of these things have to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul green14
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Another thing I noticed last night. As soon as we try to start an attack there is a general reluctance on our players to get forward. Contrast that with QPR who drove forward in numbers and were much quicker with their decision making. Our midfielders slow everything down. Once again nobody attacking corners and as for our throw ins!🙄

Agree with all of that. Only Mumba and occasionally Randell showed a real willingness to run with the ball. We are really missing Mayor’s ability to do that from midfield last season.

I also found too often we would get the ball into midfield and the ball would go back again to the next centre back. Players need to be braver playing on the half turn and looking forward.

I still believe we have enough quality to get enough points from these next four games, but it’s whether the confidence and belief is really there and it can show through in the way we play.

One player I want to comment on individually is Phillips. I’ve see a lot of comments on here and on social media that he wasn’t very good and shouldn’t be playing. I don’t agree. I think he had a decent game again and very rarely is less than 6/7 out of 10. I think his unfortunate slip which nearly cost us last night is clouding judgments of his overall performance. He is raw, but he has a lot of quality.

Jan 6, 2004
One player I want to comment on individually is Phillips. I’ve see a lot of comments on here and on social media that he wasn’t very good and shouldn’t be playing. I don’t agree. I think he had a decent game again and very rarely is less than 6/7 out of 10. I think his unfortunate slip which nearly cost us last night is clouding judgments of his overall performance. He is raw, but he has a lot of quality.
I am a fan of Phillips, he was the only loanee who I think was up to standard and one day he will be a very good player indeed, as he has the magic combination for a central defender of physicality and pace as well as being comfortable on the ball but he was at fault for the goal, missing the original header at the cross which should have been his.

Reactions: Balham Green
Jul 12, 2016
Agree with all of that. Only Mumba and occasionally Randell showed a real willingness to run with the ball. We are really missing Mayor’s ability to do that from midfield last season.

I also found too often we would get the ball into midfield and the ball would go back again to the next centre back. Players need to be braver playing on the half turn and looking forward.

I still believe we have enough quality to get enough points from these next four games, but it’s whether the confidence and belief is really there and it can show through in the way we play.

He fell over more than once . Needs longer studs ? Mumba was prone to doing the same at HP.

Sep 6, 2006

But was Phillips who lost his man at the corner they scored from.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Another thing I noticed last night. As soon as we try to start an attack there is a general reluctance on our players to get forward. Contrast that with QPR who drove forward in numbers and were much quicker with their decision making. Our midfielders slow everything down. Once again nobody attacking corners and as for our throw ins!🙄

Yep.

When QPR transitioned from defence to attack they surged forward, all of their players were on the same page.

When we transitioned from defence to attack there was no cohesion, a couple of players would go, a couple of players would stay, a couple didn’t really know what they were doing.

As I’ve said, we’re trying to re-learn our old way of playing in super quick time, if Foster had have gone before the international break we’d have had two extra weeks on the grass.

Oct 5, 2012
Cornwall
Yep thought Phillips had Bali's boots on...slipping all over the place.

Just watched the highlights...very poor clearance from Sorinola off the line....virtually put it on a plate for Rangers to score......

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
But was Phillips who lost his man at the corner they scored from.
Harsh, there’s a lot of traffic in the box and the QPR player pulls off the back leaving about six bodies between them.

More of an issue is Sorinola’s scuffed goal line clearance. If he makes clean contact the goal doesn’t happen.

Reactions: sundance

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I thought Sorinola played well against Bristol City but he was really poor last night and as Nobby has said above if he’d have cleared the ball properly then QPR wouldn’t have scored. I don’t know what to make of him. He’s a fantastic crosser of the ball but he’s got a bit of Tafari Moore about him defensively.

Reactions: sundance
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I thought Sorinola played well against Bristol City but he was really poor last night and as Nobby has said above if he’d have cleared the ball properly then QPR wouldn’t have scored. I don’t know what to make of him. He’s a fantastic crosser of the ball but he’s got a bit of Tafari Moore about him defensively.

I think Sorinola is a reverse Cosgrove. Great when he starts, awful as a sub.

May 27, 2023
problems as i see it
nothing attacking wise from any midfilder
nothing attacking wise right side/wing area
no one forward in our squad able to retain the ball or pressure opposing centre backs
no overlapping/attacking fullbacks
ponderous and inability to create from the back
no midfield general
pathetic waste off all corners earned/lack of creativity
callum wright out of his depth [sorry]
hardie clearly unfit and taking what looked like medication during warm ups,and is far to inconsistant and disheartened
lack off permanent players who actually care about the shirt they wear
allowing 'IF' to recruit his boys when we needed men with experience
lack of striker/s pre season and january window
i want pafc to retain championship football,but on last nights performance plus games left,i cannot see it materialising.

Reactions: Sun Stonehouse
Mar 23, 2019
I agree that Foster should have gone sooner. The international break would have given us breathing space.
I can't understand for the life of me why this didn't happen. It was so glaringly obvious. We could have had two weeks for a new manager or nance/dewsnip to have on the grass before Norwich and Bristol City.

I still can't believe he was even appointed. The worst manager in Argyle history. Relegation was so unavoidable, so frustrating.

Reactions: freathyd
Jan 6, 2004
I can't understand for the life of me why this didn't happen. It was so glaringly obvious. We could have had two weeks for a new manager or nance/dewsnip to have on the grass before Norwich and Bristol City.

I still can't believe he was even appointed. The worst manager in Argyle history. Relegation was so unavoidable, so frustrating.
I am not sure about that. I am not disputing Foster had to go but the problems run far deeper than sacking him too late. Loss of Azaz and Cundle, loss of form of Hardie (as always happens in the latter stages of a season) with no decent alternative, Whittakers incredible scoring rate inevitably slowing down, huge improvements in our rivals - I think the relegation (or close shave with it ) die was cast with what has now proven to be an awful January transfer window. The squad is just not good enough, regardless of manager.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth

That would be the negative hangover from IF, surely? The players need to get confidence in going forward again, not just being comfortable in playing backwards all of the time.