QPR Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

QPR Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

Mar 23, 2019
I am not sure about that. I am not disputing Foster had to go but the problems run far deeper than sacking him too late. Loss of Azaz and Cundle, loss of form of Hardie (as always happens in the latter stages of a season) with no decent alternative, Whittakers incredible scoring rate inevitably slowing down, huge improvements in our rivals - I think the relegation (or close shave with it ) die was cast with what has now proven to be an awful January transfer window. The squad is just not good enough, regardless of manager.
Azaz was no doubt a huge loss and Hardie/Whittakers dip in form is because he left. But not replacing him is on Foster/the board. They knew they were losing him in January.

Sep 6, 2006
Harsh, there’s a lot of traffic in the box and the QPR player pulls off the back leaving about six bodies between them.

More of an issue is Sorinola’s scuffed goal line clearance. If he makes clean contact the goal doesn’t happen.
Not harsh at all. Was his man. Harsh on Sorinola as it looks like Cooper flicks the ball away from him.

Jan 6, 2004
Azaz was no doubt a huge loss and Hardie/Whittakers dip in form is because he left. But not replacing him is on Foster/the board. They knew they were losing him in January.
I agree (although not sure Azaz caused the drop of form of Hardie and Whittaker as the timings dont fit) but my post was in response to the suggestion that we could have avoided the relegation dog-fight if Foster had been sacked a couple of weeks earlier.

Dec 30, 2020
I am not sure about that. I am not disputing Foster had to go but the problems run far deeper than sacking him too late. Loss of Azaz and Cundle, loss of form of Hardie (as always happens in the latter stages of a season) with no decent alternative, Whittakers incredible scoring rate inevitably slowing down, huge improvements in our rivals - I think the relegation (or close shave with it ) die was cast with what has now proven to be an awful January transfer window. The squad is just not good enough, regardless of manager.

You could also add, as Simon did in his Herald interview this week, that we were always in a false position - by the time Foster had been appointed, we had already played our home games against every side currently in the bottom half of the table bar QPR.

Those games were always going to be where we got the bulk of our points and frankly we got more of them than we deserved - Birmingham, Stoke, Rotherham where we were life and death to get points from the game very late on... Watford, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield, Blackburn scoring goals from out of nothing in games where we were dominated for long spells

When Foster was appointed our points per game record equated to 51 over the season. With our most winnable games already banked, it was obvious that would drop off. In points terms we're about where I expected to be, even while Schumacher was in post. The disappointment, as you say, is that a couple of teams who looked like they were going to get cut adrift have now revived.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2015
Yep thought Phillips had Bali's boots on...slipping all over the place.

Just watched the highlights...very poor clearance from Sorinola off the line....virtually put it on a plate for Rangers to score......
Looking at the highlights it seems Sorinola's clearance hits Cooper and drops for Field to give him a chance he cannot miss unfortunately!

Reactions: sundance

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
A few weeks ago the crux of the issue was how defensive we have become. This isn't like the football under Schumacher people cried.

Last night however, reminded me of a Schumacher game in the Championship.

Firstly, the sideways, backwards passing once we get to the half way line. As our wing backs are often pinned by the oppostion we simply have no where to go when passing the ball out wide.

Sideways, backwards, sideways it went last night once we get near the halfway line. Eventually it gets back to Cooper, who at times had to deal with some terrible messy pass backs to him. This was the pattern for alot of the night. In its extreme worse moment, a CB like Phillips has no forward passing option, hesitates & slips. Or Whittaker (in the first half) comes so deep looking for the ball then when he gets it he decides to play a mis-hit Crossfield pass.

Yet we get fed the notion this build up play leads to good football. What actually leads to good football is the speed of transtion when Argyle hit teams on the break. Im not sure now they have those players to consistently do this.

Tell me a season under Schumacher or Lowe where you haven't seen Argyle try to play it out the back in similar fashion to last night but often the build up play results in us losing the ball, in stupid areas. Go back to league Two in Lowe's first season & watch the first half of Mansfield Town. You will see similar type of mistakes to yesterday. And similar build up issues.

Then we saw what we did earlier in the season. QPR exploiting the space in behind our wing backs. The wing backs aren't deep enough to stop the ball in behind. They aren't forward enough to impact creating chances for the team. Time & time again, QPR were getting in behind & looking to get to our box & get a decent ball in the box.

I looked at last night & wondered how the hell does poor team like Millwall, who go to Rotherham & lose, beat Leicester. Number one they have a threat when they put crosses in the box. Yet secondly, in the heat of the moment they choose the right option when defending. Last night Leciester should have equalised at the end of the match. Yet Milliwall got bodies into their box & defended that goal. There are times when you see some great individual defending from us. Yet other times lm watching Scarr turn like a oil tanker after one of the barrels has fallen off the ship (the ball in this case) & he has to retrieve it. Next thing your watching is a player like Lyndon Dykes out pace him with ease. It's just too easy to create a chance out of nothing against us.

If we can get a draw against Leceister l feel that might help us massively. Yet in all honesty, we need some massive individuals performances before the end of the season. As a team we will try our best, but you have to wonder under the current system where the attacking quality is coming from. Hardie does look knackered. So would l, if l had to deal with the type of service he gets for 90 mins.

Mar 23, 2008
Was thinking last night how utterly ridiculous Luke Cundle's January move was for everyone.
He could have thrived here post Azaz, in the creative role. Instead he's gone to a team where the supporters hate him and he rarely plays, Wolves must be peeved as whilst I'm sure they got a higher loan fee or percentage of his wage their asset has depreciated so no-one has benefitted from that switch.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023
For me we seem to have Whittaker and Hardie trying to win the game on their own. Many times this season a simple look up and pass would have created a goal for those two but no shooting when a pass is on is criminal. Enough said.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Where we should/could have been 4-0 down before half time, but went on to win.

That has been the type of roller coaster football we been watching.

Higher up the leagues though they far to clinical to allow your mistakes to go unpunished.

Oct 9, 2023
Was thinking last night how utterly ridiculous Luke Cundles January move was for everyone.
He could have thrived here post Azaz, in hag creative role. Instead he's gone to a team where the supporters hate him and he rarely players, Wolves must be peeved as whilst I'm sure they got a higher loan fee or percentage wage their asset has depreciated so no-one has benefitted from that switch.
Yes, indeed.

For Argyle, Cundle impressively
scored 5 goals and gave 6 assists
in all competitions in just half a season.

I don't want to tempt fate (as he's playing against his former club Swansea tonight and he scored against them for us !) but I believe that at Stoke, Cundle has chipped in with
no goals nor assists in the 11 games
up to now.

As we all know, we really miss Cundle and Azaz , like last night.
From now on, hopefully in more central roles, Mumba, Miller , Devine,
Randell further forward, Wright,
Bundu or Issaka can help fill the void and link the midfield with the forwards Hardie, Whittaker and/or Waine , to support
them much more , get shots
from a wider range of players
and get more bodies into the opposing penalty box !

The speed and trickery of Mumba, Miller,
Bundu, and Issaka in the 10 position will frighten any central defenders, possibly win us some penalties etc. and greatly help Hardie and Whittaker.

Or sometimes put Whittaker in the role of Azaz, as he also puts through lovely weighted passes , and then
move Bundu up with Hardie and/or Waine.

Feb 8, 2005
I agree (although not sure Azaz caused the drop of form of Hardie and Whittaker as the timings dont fit) but my post was in response to the suggestion that we could have avoided the relegation dog-fight if Foster had been sacked a couple of weeks earlier.
We lost Azaz at a very important time, just after Shuey left us in the lurch, and he was very important in getting the ball to Whittaker and Hardie. Without him we have been fairly toothless up front.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I am concerned that with two vital home games to play that away teams have identified ways to stop us playing with nany fluidity, purpose or with positivity. With 3ATB with our wing backs pressed high we are so vulnerable on the break. The last five games at Home Park have proven this. We seem unable to switch play or move the ball quickly. The ponderous 'from me to you' is just that - no pace, the ball barely played in front of the player which invites the press. Opponents know this and that over time, normally from 60 minutes on, fatigue and lack of positional discipline will continue to be our 'achilles heel'.

We have not yet shaken off the worst of the Foster inhibitions where ball retention at the back is paramount over and above what you do with it. I noted by pushing Phillips further up (and occasionally Gibson on the other side) Coops was able to hit him and with the 'flick on' it at least got us up the pitch and quickly as an option. With Adam and Jordan together in the centre neither were able to play the forward penetrative pass. Adam Forshaw when he came on was much more effective in doing so. For me he must start v Leicester.

With Dan dominating in the centre of 3ATB finding a place for Galloway in the three is a problem. Dan cannot be exposed wide so could Brendan play LWB giving Mumba more of a free role higher up the pitch where he can make an impact? He remains a liability as a defender. To get the points for survival we simply have to get more on the front foot and higher up the pitch quicker at home. When we get up the pitch we have a remarkable habit of losing possession from throw-ins in advanced positions. It does my head in. Bielsa famously had 33 routines from throw-ins - we seem to have one in losing possession in high areas exposing us to the counter attack. Surely, this is an area we can do better.

Whilst we can debate the merits of team selection and performance but the most important 'player' last night was the 12th man - the Green Army. I thought we were magnificent in our vocal support and we've got to do it again twice more at Home Park. It does make the difference particularly when adversity strikes. It is so close at the bottom - if Morgan had scored from that last minute free kick we would have been 15th and top of the nine-team mini-league with four games to play. We have to be prepared to have the squeakiest of bums over the next 25 days. I keep telling myself I hate it but the uncertainty and jeopardy has an appealing level of 'intoxification' about it - I have loved this season in the Championship and I want more. We can do it and to do so will be one of the most meritous achievements in our history. Bring it on!
The upper Grandstand rarely gets as vocal as last night, HP was rocking at times!

• Love
Reactions: pafc jack