Positives if we are relegated | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

May 26, 2015
If we go straight back down, it will be a disaster. It will also be a first I think, looking at Greens on Screen. We seem never to have been relegated, straight away, following a promotion.
So, as I said on another thread, if we go down this season I think that Argyle can forget about the Championship for at least 10 years and that Hallett's updated 5 year plan will be dead and buried. Why oh why couldn't he find the £2m/£3m required to buy Azaz? Sorry to be so miserable, but I'm feeling very miserable, because if we do go down, it will be so un-necessary. The fans have given everything, these past couple of years; has the board done likewise?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
There's so much fatalism associated with Argyle, that they will always mess it up somehow. This is the club that finished second 6 seasons in a row in the 1920s, then third when finally the top two teams went up.

Unfortunately relegation when things were looking so good, would be perceived as just another example of it all going wrong. Still praying it won't happen, obviously.
I'm not sure you are right with this. Until the end of the 1957-58 season the Third (South) had one promotion place. That year Brighton took the only promotion place while we finished third. The following season, 1958-59, was the first non-regionalised third tier and offered two promotion places. We went up top and Hull City finished second. Even in the 18 seasons we were in the 2nd tier with its two promotion places (and there was still a Third (South) with one promotion place), we never finished higher than 4th in that

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
It's not the end of the world to us like it is compared to all these clubs that have bet the house on staying up, and have massive debts to service. I'm pretty confident we'll be back soon, and a bit more prepared. As it is I think we'll still be here next season. It we really are able to sell MW for the money that's being mentioned, we should also be able to do so without breaking the bank, with a good amount left over for a new CH campaign.

May 16, 2016
I understand and agree that being relegated can't be seen as a good thing, but why are so many already making excuses for us not getting promoted back to the Championship?

If we stay up it's going to be the literal skin of our teeth stuff, then we'll have another season of fighting against the odds just to remain here while seeing even more "if only...." posters banging on about not spending money we never had.

We might have a few more quid in the bank but we can garauntee another season of struggle post novelty wearing off, interest and demand will tail off.

Contrast that with the fresh knowledge and experience of what it takes to get back up from L1 and what, in reality awaits all those that do in trying to stay up and we're already ahead of errr...Mansfield and the eventually to be forgotten about Wrexham selfie takers.

Make the excuses once the situation arises and we lnow what we might be up against.

Sep 6, 2006
I understand and agree that being relegated can't be seen as a good thing, but why are so many already making excuses for us not getting promoted back to the Championship?

If we stay up it's going to be the literal skin of our teeth stuff, then we'll have another season of fighting against the odds just to remain here while seeing even more "if only...." posters banging on about not spending money we never had.

We might have a few more quid in the bank but we can garauntee another season of struggle post novelty wearing off, interest and demand will tail off.
However surely its not possible for us to make as many mistakes as this season off the pitch?

Last edited:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm not sure you are right with this. Until the end of the 1957-58 season the Third (South) had one promotion place. That year Brighton took the only promotion place while we finished third. The following season, 1958-59, was the first non-regionalised third tier and offered two promotion places. We went up top and Hull City finished second. Even in the 18 seasons we were in the 2nd tier with its two promotion places (and there was still a Third (South) with one promotion place), we never finished higher than 4th in that

You’re right, not sure where I got the two up in 1927 bit from. Anyway, finishing second 6 times in a row when only one side went up, is amazing.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
To read what some have responded on this thread it’s almost as if some think because we achieved championship last season for this that we have a right to be here forever.
At some point we will be relegated again whether we like it or not. As it stands, we have some sellable assets and unfortunate that we won’t be watching them next season should we go down, that profit from Whittaker and Cooper alone should see a very respectable war chest in league 1.
To be able to by higher end players and more of them could be the difference if we can bounce back at the first time of asking.
The weather has been lousy this week so that obviously adds to the gloom around Home Park but we’re still in it to finish the season as a championship side.
Our performance against Hull is an equal task to Birmingham’s task against Norwich with both opponents wanting to maintain their momentum and I don’t know about anyone else but I think Hull is a better prospect for us to play.
Hoping for the sun on Saturday because there will be nothing better than retaining our status on a warm spring day.

Come On You Greens

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
If we go straight back down, it will be a disaster. It will also be a first I think, looking at Greens on Screen. We seem never to have been relegated, straight away, following a promotion.
So, as I said on another thread, if we go down this season I think that Argyle can forget about the Championship for at least 10 years and that Hallett's updated 5 year plan will be dead and buried. Why oh why couldn't he find the £2m/£3m required to buy Azaz? Sorry to be so miserable, but I'm feeling very miserable, because if we do go down, it will be so un-necessary. The fans have given everything, these past couple of years; has the board done likewise?

Once again, what about his wages? He's on £30k plus with Middlesborough.

Or would you like to see figures like Championship Swansea are producing?

Jul 18, 2011
Another thing about the huge cash injection if we stay up is that a lot of it will go in wages for players in a higher league.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m desperate for us to stay up but the cash bonanza may not be as good as we think.

South Hams James

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 10, 2011
Reading this thread and all the negativity is just 'so' Argyle in terms of our fans, always so negative, 'typical argyle' type of attitude. Short term memories and no bigger picture positive thinking.

We simply cant compare this season to any other, had circumstances out of our control, SS departing, not happened we would be comfortably safe i am sure. This shows we have a good squad. We aren't in debt, the club is as strong as it has ever been behind the scenes. We have had and will re establish an exciting attacking style of play and im sure attendances and corporate income will stay high, not much less than this season. We will retain a core of this seasons squad, and those leaving (aside from Miller and Galloway) would be sold for good money. We would have and should have easily a budget capable of being a top side in League one, i suspect we would be one of the favourites for promotion. We would be able to attract the best players on offer in League One. The progression will continue off the pitch. All of this is positive.

People talk about the extra 7.5 million TV money, but every other Championship club will have that and no doubt it will all go on player salaries. We wont be any better off for it. losing 7.5 million on salaries isn't a forever handicap, as we only need to pay those salaries in the Championship. Its not like clubs will be spending that cash on anything else other than short term player trading etc. Next season in the Championship, 100% we would be favourites to go down. Who coming up will have less of a budget than us, none of them. As others have eluded i think likely we have an evens chance of being in the Championship for the 25/26 season, if we go down this season or stay in in it. Depressing but the reality of it. Our only hope of short term Championship stability is investment, but at what cost will that be to the club... Imaging pumping 7.5 million into long term player salaries next season and then getting relegated!

Of course i want us to stay up, as we all live in hope that we can kick on and get established in the Championship. But this is all hope and as yet based on the simple finances of it and with the known investment we have i cant see it happening. I am perfectly comfortable with this and i don't see the organic growth stopping, we will get stronger with the academy and infrastructure investment. This is 100% the priority rather than chasing Championship stability that we simply cant afford.

Jul 12, 2016
What ludicrous comments! There is nothing to suggest it would take at least 10 years to get back to the championship or that the 5 year plan is dead and buried.
If we are relegated no doubt the club will do what it can to get us back on track. As for finding the money to sign Azaz, he would also have commanded quite a salary. SH has made it clear that the club do not have a bottomless pot of money and you cannot always have what you want in life. The board are not perfect but with exception of appointing Foster as head coach have served the club well and we should be grateful.

Sep 6, 2006
To read what some have responded on this thread it’s almost as if some think because we achieved championship last season for this that we have a right to be here forever.
At some point we will be relegated again whether we like it or not. As it stands, we have some sellable assets and unfortunate that we won’t be watching them next season should we go down, that profit from Whittaker and Cooper alone should see a very respectable war chest in league 1.
To be able to by higher end players and more of them could be the difference if we can bounce back at the first time of asking.
The weather has been lousy this week so that obviously adds to the gloom around Home Park but we’re still in it to finish the season as a championship side.
Our performance against Hull is an equal task to Birmingham’s task against Norwich with both opponents wanting to maintain their momentum and I don’t know about anyone else but I think Hull is a better prospect for us to play.
Hoping for the sun on Saturday because there will be nothing better than retaining our status on a warm spring day.

Come On You Greens
Hull have to win Norwich don't so I don't see how you work that out.