Positives if we are relegated | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

Jun 22, 2005
A good point that some have raised is last time we went down from the Championship we were in absolute turmoil on and off the pitch,.
We're not even close to being the shambles we were then so a quick return isn't out of the equation at all with the right man in charge.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Don't forget Ryan Lowe's first season!
I didn't count that one, Jon, as it wasn't a full season! :ROFLMAO:

No, you caught me out; I had forgotten Lowe's first season. That makes it a bounce-back two out of eight for me. Slightly better odds, but still nothing to go wild about, unfortunately.

Reactions: Jon with no H

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There are not any.

We historically take at least 10 years to bounce back to the second tier (1977-1986), (1992-2004), (2010-2023). That is time we can ill afford.

I also think it's a sucker punch to go down, but I also genuinely think we'd be big favourites to return straight away, and I think we would if we get the managerial appointment right. We are a different and better club compared to those eras you mention... in particular the 2010 one, for obvious reasons.

My bigger issue if we go down is the further psychological re-inforcement of 'same old Argyle'. We all thought it was finally different this time, and it wasn't... so why should we believe it is next time? Very depressing.

Jun 27, 2019
I also think it's a sucker punch to go down, but I also genuinely think we'd be big favourites to return straight away, and I think we would if we get the managerial appointment right. We are a different and better club compared to those eras you mention... in particular the 2010 one, for obvious reasons.

My bigger issue if we go down is the further psychological re-inforcement of 'same old Argyle'. We all thought it was finally different this time, and it wasn't... so why should we believe it is next time? Very depressing.
I didn't want to use that dreaded phrase on this thread because we aren't down yet, but if the worst happens on Saturday it will apply more than it has ever done before.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I wouldn't say it's thriving. They only just got their Cat 1 status back and are in danger of losing it again after laying off multiple staff. It was only a few weeks ago they agreed to sell their training ground to Wycombe - it only fell through because someone told them planning conditions attached to the original permission meant it could only be used by Reading FC.
Like I said, they are currently victims of a rogue owner. Despite all this happening around them then their U21s are performing even more remarkably.

Jul 12, 2016

Why very depressing ? Some fans expectations are completely unrealistic. We have a prudent chairman who is not going to risk the club by spending above our means.
Up to this season SH has overseen a lot of success achieved by the club punching above it’s weight. I couldn’t care less what some fans think ,we are not “same old argyle” We are investing in the future, we are on a sound footing and are the envy of a lot of other clubs. Hopefully this season is just a blip.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
As I keep saying to friends. If we get relegated we will still go to the same pub in Stoke on a Saturday with the same group of people, we will still have breakfast in Stoke Cafe and we will still do away days as a group, except we might win a few.

The football itself doesn't make or break the day out on a Saturday, its just the icing on the cake when we are winning. The bits I enjoy about going to the football, wont change if we are relegated.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Why very depressing ? Some fans expectations are completely unrealistic. We have a prudent chairman who is not going to risk the club by spending above our means.
Up to this season SH has overseen a lot of success achieved by the club punching above it’s weight. I couldn’t care less what some fans think ,we are not “same old argyle” We are investing in the future, we are on a sound footing and are the envy of a lot of other clubs. Hopefully this season is just a blip.

There's so much fatalism associated with Argyle, that they will always mess it up somehow. This is the club that finished second 6 seasons in a row in the 1920s, then third when finally the top two teams went up.

Unfortunately relegation when things were looking so good, would be perceived as just another example of it all going wrong. Still praying it won't happen, obviously.

Reactions: Tamargreen and IvyG
Feb 14, 2022
It would be an absolute travisty not to be in the top 6 next season if we are relegated.

Personally, I dont think so many of this squad will be off even if we go down - some may try to leave but other than Morgs, Cooper and maybe Gibson, I doubt many others will get the chance to go back to the Championship. And as they are mostly under contract, the club holds the cards.

So if Hazard, Sorinola, Scarr, Mumba, Houghton, Randell, Forshaw, Hardie, Bundu plus some new additions and some loans, don't form the basis of a top 6 league 1 club I'd be very surprised indeed.

Reactions: greenpig27