Positives if we are relegated | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
You dont think they may want to avoid injuries to their best players, rest some with niggles after a long season?
If they had actually confirmed their play-off spot already then sure, but they haven't.

You only need to look back to 2019/20 to see a very similar situation in the Championship. Forest went into the final day three points clear and with a much better goal difference than Swansea. Forest went and lost 4-1 to Stoke on the final day, with Swansea beating Reading 4-1 to steal the spot on goal difference.

Last edited:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The 5 year plan will be a bit dead in the water if we go down, I always felt it was slightly odd to unveil it before weā€™d actually survived our first season at this level.

I can remember at the last Fan's Forum, SH said 'I don't know about anyone else but we haven't really discussed or thought about relegation' and then looked at Andrew Parkinson and Andrew agreed.

Last edited:
May 26, 2015
Once again, what about his wages? He's on Ā£30k plus with Middlesborough.

Or would you like to see figures like Championship Swansea

I'm guessing that you don't work for HMRC, or the accounts department of Middlesbrough Football Club and that you are not a personal friend of Finn? Assuming I'm correct, you do not have the foggiest idea what Finn is earning.

Second point, we could maybe have bought Finn for as little as Ā£1m at the same time we acquired Bali and Morgs in the summer last year. It went up to around Ā£2.5m, reportedly, during the January transfer window.

Third point, take a look at PAFC Limited's Annual Report and Financial Statements for the year ended 30 June 2023. Our turnover was Ā£14.662m and the aggregate wage bill for the 371 employees of the Club (including 41 players) was Ā£9.124m, including social security costs, defined contributions and so on, thereby yielding a sustainable wages to revenue ratio of 62.2% (see pages 3, 23 and 25 of Argyle's Financial Statements). So, we are a long way from being a basket case like Swansea, who achieved a pre-tax loss, for the same accounting period, of Ā£17.5m, on a turnover of Ā£21.5m.

I think I'm safe in saying, therefore, that the cost of acquiring Finn and his wages could have been absorbed without any disastrous financial consequences. I think Simon Hallett regrets his decision no try and sign Finn, as was clear in his most recent podcast. So maybe you should think again IJN.

May 26, 2015
What ludicrous comments! There is nothing to suggest it would take at least 10 years to get back to the championship or that the 5 year plan is dead and buried.
If we are relegated no doubt the club will do what it can to get us back on track. As for finding the money to sign Azaz, he would also have commanded quite a salary. SH has made it clear that the club do not have a bottomless pot of money and you cannot always have what you want in life. The board are not perfect but with exception of appointing Foster as head coach have served the club well and we should be grateful.
How rude are you oldage? See my reply to IJN.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Finn had his trajectory worked out, his next club after us was going to be after was always going to be a top ten club, then after that an EPL team.

Not made up bud, not fanciful, but told to me by someone who works at PAFC.

Again, his wage is over Ā£30k per week.

I can only surmise that you assumed or heard internet rumours that he wanted to sign for us. :unsure:

I saw posts like yours when the New World took over.

Mar 30, 2024
Finn had his trajectory worked out, his next club after us was going to be after was always going to be a top ten club, then after that an EPL team.

I can only surmise that you assumed or heard internet rumours that he wanted to sign for us. :unsure:

I heard that he wanted to sign for Argyle and that a deal had been set up from the same source that told me that Argyle were buying Mumba and Whittaker for Ā£1m well before the respective deals were announced. There were also others who seemed to have some inside knowledge who were under the same impression, maybe Argyle were gazumped before the deal went through.

Reactions: RochdaleGreen
May 26, 2015

Oh, if you heard it via the local tittle tattle it must be true! Why would Finn tell an employee of PAFC what Middlesbrough are paying him? He is far too astute for that I would say. Anyway, I think he would have signed for us on a permanent deal in the summer of last year, based on what he said on the Club's website when he signed a new loan deal.

Who is New World? The only internet gossip/rumour I read, is on Pasoti, and I rarely believe a word of it.

Tynan One Nil

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 23, 2013
Every team in the play offs will want to continue to win for momentum going into the playoffs.
Thatā€™s why I think how I think.
Norwich will also want as fully fit a squad as possible for the play offs, not risking players with knocks/strains. They wonā€™t set up to lose, but if they go behind then not sure there will much fight, a narrow defeat wonā€™t hurt them.

May 26, 2015
I heard that he wanted to sign for Argyle and that a deal had been set up from the same source that told me that Argyle were buying Mumba and Whittaker for Ā£1m well before the respective deals were announced. There were also others who seemed to have some inside knowledge who were under the same impression, maybe Argyle were gazumped before the deal went through.
That fits in with my impression Tamargreen.

Reactions: Tamargreen
Oct 10, 2018
Just to lessen the nerves slightly:

League one should be financially much weaker next season than when we were last there - With Portsmouth, Derby and possibly Bolton coming up the big clubs will mostly have left the division. (Although Wrexham will no doubt continue to have vast sums invested).

With,by League One standards, huge season ticket sales (which I think will largely hold up in league one), hospitality income, and sales of Cooper, Whittaker Hardie and Gibson, all of whom are too good for league one, we should have one of the highest playing budgets in the division and have some left over for investment in facilities without requiring more money put in. Some of our other players not quite up to championship standard at the moment may thrive a division below.

We will be big fish in a small pond again.
What your missing is that also puts a bigger target on your back, and look how hard Posh, Pompy, Bolton have found it to move back to Championship.

Also going down will make it far more difficult in find a woodby investor. Which SH has said himself is essentially to continue building the clubs profile, squad and structure.

The only thing
made more simpler is to re- build the playing squad at L1 than Championship. However revenue's available for Argyle staying up, would help take the financial pressure off SH, enable argyle to make changes that keep 5 year plan moving forward, it already taken a step back with appointment of Foster this season.

Reactions: Mat
Oct 10, 2018
Norwich will also want as fully fit a squad as possible for the play offs, not risking players with knocks/strains. They wonā€™t set up to lose, but if they go behind then not sure there will much fight, a narrow defeat wonā€™t hurt them.
This is problem, argyle need to stopping focusing on what they can't control and what they can, just win and all else falls into place.

Mar 30, 2024
What your missing is that also puts a bigger target on your back, and look how hard Posh, Pompy, Bolton have found it to move back to Championship.

Also going down will make it far more difficult in find a woodby investor. Which SH has said himself is essentially to continue building the clubs profile, squad and structure.

The only thing
made more simpler is to re- build the playing squad at L1 than Championship. However revenue's available for Argyle staying up, would help take the financial pressure off SH, enable argyle to make changes that keep 5 year plan moving forward, it already taken a step back with appointment of Foster this season.
Never been convinced about the league position influencing investors theory. Certainly wasn't the case with clubs such as Reading, Bournemouth, Hull, Cardiff, Swansea and all the rest of them over the years. Hate even mentioning the word but potential would seem to have been the key word rather than current status in those cases.