Positives if we are relegated | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
What do you mean again. Argyles budget last season was about 8th biggest, if in league one next season it will be top 5

Yeah, sorry I didn't see the earlier post which stated we had the 7th best budget the season we got promoted from L1.

Jan 6, 2004
If we go down, the sides going down with us this season had higher budgets this season and would do so next season as well, Blackpool and Wigan will both be up there, whoever loses in the play-offs all three of them will have big budgets, Reading could, Charlton always spend a lot. Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield coming up from League 2 are all big spenders, and I'd expect they'll be spending more than most League One sides do. We'd likely be in there, but I don't think we'd be as high up as people would expect.
Rotherham had a smaller budget I think. Reading are a financial basket case and will definitely not have a bigger budget. Of all the clubs you mention I think only Huddersfield, Charlton and Wrexham may have bigger budgets than us.

Sep 28, 2022
My first "relegation" as an Argyle fan was in the late sixties under Derek Ufton. Since then we have been promoted and relagated on a regular basis almost. And like it or not, guess what, life goes on, I, m still ticking along and I still haven't won the lottery but I have won the lottery of life. I have a fantastic wife, I live in a fantastic part of the world and my football team is still alive and kicking!. This is my own particular way of dealing with the upcoming weekend. Obviously I will be delighted and chuffed if we do stay up, if not I refer back to the things I mentioned earlier to lessen the pain. Errr enjoy. Coygs!!!!.

Sep 6, 2006
If we go down, the sides going down with us this season had higher budgets this season and would do so next season as well, Blackpool and Wigan will both be up there, whoever loses in the play-offs all three of them will have big budgets, Reading could, Charlton always spend a lot. Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield coming up from League 2 are all big spenders, and I'd expect they'll be spending more than most League One sides do. We'd likely be in there, but I don't think we'd be as high up as people would expect.
Mansfield big spenders?! Are you sure?

Sep 6, 2006
I agree, he has got a decent return this season in the context of a side that has been up against it all year.

I've just watched the highlights of the Watford game to look at the corner Finn Azaz scored from and it was like Ryan Hardie was a different player top the one we see now, but he was in a side that had Mr Azaz to pass to him.

That's where his true quality would show through, in a team with that little bit of extra quality in the supply, rather than having to chase numerous lost causes punted upfield in his general direction. When your centre forward has to use so much energy trying to keep possession as well as trying to get it back, that's a very vicious circle after 46 games.
Will be interesting to see in the Summer. My view is a lot of strikers could score those goals with quality service in an attacking team. Without it he is very average.

Jan 6, 2004
Balham, not many strikers hit double figures in the championship. Its not as easy as you think. I agree he does need good quality service played on the floor in front of him. He is poor in the air and the aimless high ball punts he is trying to feed off at the moment do not suit him at all.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Will be interesting to see in the Summer. My view is a lot of strikers could score those goals with quality service in an attacking team. Without it he is very average.
I think he is quite a patchy striker, as Monty almost said the other day, but I think it's equally arguable that a lot of really good strikers would find it tough going playing for Argyle in this setup since we lost Finn Azaz.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I can see no positives in dropping into a league that have teams such as Reading, Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Exeter etc.

Tinpot springs to mind.

IF we go down, there needs to be a full enquiry of Post Office proportions!! Well not quite but you get the gist.
Are Reading still in the tinpot camp? Currently victims of rogue ownership but they have a thriving cat 1 academy who have just finished 6th out of 26 in PL2 above ten Premier League clubs and have qualified for the end of season play-offs, something that even Manchester City and Newcastle United U21s have failed to do this season. They have also qualified to play in the International Cup next season.

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
It took us 13 years to get back to The Championship
I dread to think how long it would take us to regain our place in the Championship if we did get relegated
There are very wealthy clubs in League 1 that we would not be able to compete with
Our football journey in respect of sustainability is at odds with how other EFL clubs are run
Agreed!

Sep 6, 2006
A phrase I often use in my job. Is he part of the problem or part of the solution? . I know my view and feel the 2nd half of the season has proved it.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Rotherham had a smaller budget I think. Reading are a financial basket case and will definitely not have a bigger budget. Of all the clubs you mention I think only Huddersfield, Charlton and Wrexham may have bigger budgets than us.
I've seen a few people saying that they think Rotherham have a smaller budget, but we've always been told that we've got the smallest budget in the league, so I'm not sure where that's come from. Reading this season have spent big on wages, they might not look like they have a big budget, but it's bigger than people think.

Jan 6, 2004
I've seen a few people saying that they think Rotherham have a smaller budget, but we've always been told that we've got the smallest budget in the league, so I'm not sure where that's come from. Reading this season have spent big on wages, they might not look like they have a big budget, but it's bigger than people think.
We havent always been told that, often told smallest or nearly smallest. Truth is I suspect we have similar budgets and nobody actually knows which is smaller!

Apr 9, 2011
Cant see any positives whatsoever in relegation. It will be a complete disaster . There is going to be shed loads of money pumped into the Championship via the new Sky deal which we would miss out on for starters
How we have got into this position is bewildering . A combination of bad luck & very poor Management decision making over the disastrous appointment of IF ! oh & that stupid corner given away in extra time v Coventry which led to their equaliser !!

Jun 27, 2019
Are Reading still in the tinpot camp? Currently victims of rogue ownership but they have a thriving cat 1 academy who have just finished 6th out of 26 in PL2 above ten Premier League clubs and have qualified for the end of season play-offs, something that even Manchester City and Newcastle United U21s have failed to do this season. They have also qualified to play in the International Cup next season.
I wouldn't say it's thriving. They only just got their Cat 1 status back and are in danger of losing it again after laying off multiple staff. It was only a few weeks ago they agreed to sell their training ground to Wycombe - it only fell through because someone told them planning conditions attached to the original permission meant it could only be used by Reading FC.

Reactions: Johnmichael