Positives if we are relegated | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

Sep 17, 2011
Wheal Friendship, Mary Tavy
Well, the usual sprinkling of "Amen" or "Rubbish" according to your viewpoint on this thread.
I think some people do need to remember that we all regarded Mumba as a much greater prize than Azaz back in the summer & we probably got that one wrong.
Why didn't SH "find" the cash to buy Azaz as well? I suspect for the same reason that the gentleman asking the question didn't. If any Pasoti member wants to chip in a few million to club finances, I'm sure you won't be turned away!

Mar 30, 2024
i no longer buy the sleeping giant/potential tag we had. This may have been true up until circa 1980s when we were getting top 6 second tier crowds and could pull in 34,000 v derby in the fac in 1984.

these days long gone. our capacity is less than most of the second tier actual attendances now and we are simply not competitive at this level. we have been left behind a long time ago and are firmly a lower league team now.
That's due to lack of investment, not lack of potential.

Jul 12, 2016
Potential is not for everyone
I've heard this for 50years but nobody outside of Devon and Cornwall seems to see it.
Strange as it seems I think the ground size is holding us back from fulfilling potential had we had a 22k stadium we would have filled it and people would then have to sit up and take notice
Only when we are consistently successful would we need a ground capacity 22k . If we are relegated I would be amazed if we sold out every game next season particularly if we are struggling.

Mar 26, 2004
Only when we are consistently successful would we need a ground capacity 22k . If we are relegated I would be amazed if we sold out every game next season particularly if we are struggling.
But if we had. had a capacity of 22,000 - 25,000, we would of probably sold those extra thousands of tickets, which would of brought in extra revenue. I wonder how much money has been lost due to restricted capacity over the years. I think we can add lack of ambition to the lack of investment.

Jul 12, 2016
But if we had. had a capacity of 22,000 - 25,000, we would of probably sold those extra thousands of tickets, which would of brought in extra revenue. I wonder how much money has been lost due to restricted capacity over the years. I think we can add lack of ambition to the lack of investment.
You forget the amount of money it would cost to increase the capacity. It has been discussed on numerous occasions. You use words like “probably” and “wonder” so just guesswork.SH is an investment expert and do you really think he would delay increasing the capacity if he thought it would benefit the club? It is very easy to spend other people’s money.

Reactions: ming the merciless
Jan 6, 2004
Lots of people said we would not sell out every game this season if we were struggling. They were wrong.

Reactions: pafc jack

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Lots of people said we would not sell out every game this season if we were struggling. They were wrong.
Other than the game on Saturday at the moment I’ve got friends that have been to every home game. Mid table is where we would struggle to fill the ground. Next season will be very interesting if we manage to stay up.

Reactions: oldage

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
There are no positives of course. We are all desperately hoping and praying that it doesn't happen . I'm not at all confident, following some terrible well documented decisions , and frankly I'm not convinced that those at board level , who had the opportunity to back the team first, before other projects are particularly bothered. But whatever, I know us fans will all be doing our level best to get us through on Saturday. COYGs

Jul 12, 2016
After a record points season and promotion there was always going to be a feel good factor. If past experience is anything to go by ,attendances will drop next season if we struggle now the novelty has worn off.

Reactions: Guiri Green
Oct 10, 2018
relegation holds no fears whatsoever.

all of my best seasons watching argyle since 1972 have been in the third or fourth tier. waiters, Smith, Warnock, Sturrock, Adams, Lowe and Shumacher all in the third or fourth tier. The second tier has just about always been a real struggle for argyle and less enjoyable to watch. We start to lose more games, crowds dwindle and good players move on. This season until christmas was the one big exception.

A football club is for life not just for christmas. Enjoy the ride. It is not essential the club are in the championship. We most likely need to be relegated to ever be promoted again so embrace it!
Glad your not in the players dressing room, Mr de- motivator. I guess some are happy to except mediocrity, those who stand still get left behind.

Reactions: Tamargreen

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
After a record points season and promotion there was always going to be a feel good factor. If past experience is anything to go by ,attendances will drop next season if we struggle now the novelty has worn off.
There probably would be a small dip for a couple of less attractive Tuesday night games but I think we will continue to sell 15,000 home tickets for the vast majority of games. The frustrating thing is we would probably have averaged 19,000 or more this season with a 20,000 plus capacity. A dip from that likely demand should see us maintain this season's attendances more or less I hope.
Should we go down, as long as the feel good factor is there with regard to the new manager appointed and the squad being put together in League 1 I think we will also sell fairly close to the 15,000 home tickets again. There will of course be 1,000 or more fewer away fans for most games.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Glad your not in the players dressing room, Mr de- motivator. I guess some are happy to except mediocrity, those who stand still get left behind.
Says the man advocating the appointment of a struggling Southern League South team's manager as the new coach of Argyle who are struggling six levels higher.

• Haha
Reactions: Lancastergreen

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth

Capacity has only really been an issue in the last couple of seasons though. Even when we had our last spell in the Championship we rarely sold out, and by the end we were down to 10k or so.

Reactions: oldage
Mar 30, 2024
Capacity has only really been an issue in the last couple of seasons though. Even when we had our last spell in the Championship we rarely sold out, and by the end we were down to 10k or so.
Football is a much bigger sport than it was back then. Attendances almost everywhere are much higher.