Plymouth photos. | Page 41 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth photos.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
The photo of the Lyndurst Gate reminds me of the absolutely vile toilets just to the left in the picture. You could smell them as soon as you entered throgh the turnstiles. It was even worse on the way out as they would have been used at halftime.
My first thought too!

Reactions: George Willis

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
They had them down at Millbridge used to deliver the papers there morning and evening

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Prefabs, with what looks like surplus Anderson shelters as garden sheds. There was another group in Central Park alongside Alma Road. A lot of people who lost their houses in the Blitz were grateful for those places even if they were a bit basic.
Lasted into the 60s, We were visiting one of two sets of relatives living in them in November '63 when my uncle opened the door and greeted us with "Kennedy's been shot"

EDIT: Budshead Road/Ringmore Way area,

Last edited:

BDW

Apr 15, 2023
There were prefabs between North Down Crescent and Knowle Avenue in Keyham. In the early 70’s the residents were moved it which left them empty. The fire brigade used to be in regular attendance due to arson attacks on the buildings.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
Prefabs, with what looks like surplus Anderson shelters as garden sheds. There was another group in Central Park alongside Alma Road. A lot of people who lost their houses in the Blitz were grateful for those places even if they were a bit basic.
Central Park prefabs...I was born in one in 1956 ! Monroe Gardens. Newish houses there now...named the same.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
My grandparents lived in one in St Peters Road in the 60s, opposite the old naval college, now home to Parkway.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Marsh Mills around 1980/81
IMG_0872.jpeg

Reactions: Ironman
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Marsh Mills around 1980/81
View attachment 14343
That sewage works to the left of the raised dual carriageway: I worked there planting trees for Plymouth Parks and Gardens in 1974. It wasn't finished at the time, and we were often knee-deep (above welly level) in mud and raw sewage as our complete crook of a foreman briefly parted the sludge with a mechanical digger while we were made to drop a large sapling into the filth with no prep whatsoever - dozens of them, being the ones he hadn't already nicked and sold. He used to enjoy trying to whack us with the digger bucket, too. Lovely chap.

I drove past a few months later and, surprise, every last sapling was dead. Ah, the carefree days of youth - how I miss 'em!

Reactions: Antipodean
Mar 11, 2018
That sewage works to the left of the raised dual carriageway: I worked there planting trees for Plymouth Parks and Gardens in 1974. It wasn't finished at the time, and we were often knee-deep (above welly level) in mud and raw sewage as our complete crook of a foreman briefly parted the sludge with a mechanical digger while we were made to drop a large sapling into the filth with no prep whatsoever - dozens of them, being the ones he hadn't already nicked and sold. He used to enjoy trying to whack us with the digger bucket, too. Lovely chap.

I drove past a few months later and, surprise, every last sapling was dead. Ah, the carefree days of youth - how I miss 'em!
I had happier, though ethically dodgy, memories of a Plymouth City Council holiday job. Our daily task was to collect garden refuse and take it to the tip, going round the city in a large truck with me squashed into the front seat. Lunch times would often find us in a pub or local club (they were all or mostly men only in those days) for a leisurely couple of pints. Then back onto the truck with the HGV driver sober as a judge. Miraculously, our friendly man at the tip consistently managed to record a few more dumping trips than we actually made, so we were sweet with management.

It was fairly demanding, not very well paid work, and as honest as the day is long - well in, say, late autumn.

Reactions: MickyD