Plymouth Argyle v Wycombe Wanderers - the build up | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Wycombe Wanderers - the build up

Jul 28, 2020
I had my fill of Wycombe in the 1-0 home league defeat in 2016, when they seemed to form a perfect circle around Luke McCormick at a corner. We waited... and ... waited ... for obstruction to be given ... but it never was- and the ball fell to Gozie Ugwu someway out, unmarked, who couldn’t fail to put it in.

You felt it was a carefully rehearsed move - and neede a good ref to pick it up, which we didn’t have that day.

Are they a football team ? I’m not so sure.
Although it does seem to be some form of sport. Having said that Gareth Ainsworth and his board have clearly done a great job over the last few years. Their achievements speak for themselves.

Oct 19, 2021
Wycombe have been one of the worst teams when it comes to time wasting, but at the end of the day all teams do it when it is advantageous to do so, including Argyle. As fans, we turn up to games to watch football, but according to the stats we only see on average 60 minutes of actual play per game - it’s a real disease of the modern game that needs to be stamped out.

I wonder whether football should follow rugby and allow play to continue when a physio comes on to attend an injury, unless it is obviously serious. That would surely stamp out a lot of the time wasting that occurs.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Wycombe have been one of the worst teams when it comes to time wasting, but at the end of the day all teams do it when it is advantageous to do so, including Argyle. At the end of the day, as fans, we turn up to games to watch football, but according to the stats we only see on average 60 minutes of actual play per game - it’s a real disease of the modern game that needs to be stamped out.

I wonder whether football should follow rugby and allow play to continue when a physio comes on to attend an injury, unless it is obviously serious. That would surely stamp out a lot of the time wasting that occurs.
That's something I've wondered about, why not try it?

Aug 23, 2009
Southway
What i didn’t like with Wycombe and I’m sure others probably do it , but when they’re under prolonged pressure in the box someone drops to the floor with a head injury. Ref stops play. Pressure relieved. That isn’t gamesmanship , it’s cheating. Pure and simple and endangering players who are seriously injured.
what I would like to see in that situation is the player in question assessed for ten minutes off the pitch. that would cut it out immediately. You could even bring in a rule where if you substitute that player straight away it doesn’t count towards the normal number of substitutions.

Reactions: Knibbsworth
May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
What i didn’t like with Wycombe and I’m sure others probably do it , but when they’re under prolonged pressure in the box someone drops to the floor with a head injury. Ref stops play. Pressure relieved. That isn’t gamesmanship , it’s cheating. Pure and simple and endangering players who are seriously injured.
what I would like to see in that situation is the player in question assessed for ten minutes off the pitch. that would cut it out immediately. You could even bring in a rule where if you substitute that player straight away it doesn’t count towards the normal number of substitutions.
The head injury protocol has already seen an increase in interruptions to games and teams will and do use this to relieve pressure as you say. This 'tactic' has been deployed several times already this season in games I’ve seen and is a real problem for refs. Often it will be total gamesmanship and very occasionally it will be genuine or genuine-ish.

If this continues to increase, maybe the ref should be allowed to continue play whilst waving medical staff on as Sherford has already suggested. Staff would then immediately alert the ref if it was a serious problem and the game could then be stopped in the normal way. Perhaps the player on the ground would be excluded from offside calculations. This would reduce play acting overnight one would hope.

Reactions: Emu

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Maybe Wycombe's game plan is to bore the opposition into submission

Fans may get their monies worth due to the length of the game but the enjoyment factor of watching it is replaced by sheer frustration

The fans going tomorrow deserve a medal- i would find it very difficult to sit through that game watching Wycombe setting out there stall from the 1st whistle knowing you have to grin & bear it for 90 plus minutes

Reactions: Mark58 and IJN

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
We have a combination of the odious Wycombe’s time wasting and a referee who can’t tell the time. I’m predicting a 40 minutes first half and a 67 minutes second half.

Last edited:

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Let´s hope the ref has a bus to catch around 10.15 ! (Edited to add 10.15pm on Tuesday, not 10.15am on Wednesday)

Whycome have taken at least ten years of my life in recent seasons. I´m with IJN on this one.
Hopefully for his sake he is not getting a Citybus because sure as eggs are eggs it will be cancelled due to ' Operational Difficulties'