Plymouth Argyle transfer rumour round-up | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle transfer rumour round-up

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I agree with all of that, Nobby. There are many reasons why we will not be able to pay a transfer fee at this time. Simon Hallett will make that decision and I will respect it as, since he has taken over, he has earned our respect.
I would, certainly, not criticise the club if they decide to make some redundancies as part of a restructure but also decide to pay a transfer fee for someone who they perceive could, at least, enable us to consolidate our position in League 1 or better.
The decision could mean that, because of a player investment success, those who are made redundant could be able to return.

th

Feb 7, 2005
Bramley near Basingstoke
Emu":ncbx6ee6 said:
Quintrell_Green":ncbx6ee6 said:
oldage":ncbx6ee6 said:
Devongreenowl":ncbx6ee6 said:
oldage":ncbx6ee6 said:
Admittedly Hardie has yet to prove himself at league one level but having seen what he did for us last year he is the nearest to a natural goalscorer we have had since Tommy Tynan.

Are you putting him ahead of SEB, BWP and Reuben Reid then? Surely itā€™s a bit early to make such a claim Oldage on limited evidence. By the way, I rate him as a good prospect and have done from the start. You werenā€™t very complimentary about him when we signed him, from memory.
Hands up. I was underwhelmed when he first joined us but I am not afraid to admit I got it wrong. IMHO in all the years I have supported Argyle, Tynan is the best,natural goalscorer we have had and was way ahead of the other three. We also had a chance to sign John Aldridge from Liverpool at the same time.What a striking partnership that would have been!
Tynan had a knack of being in the right place at the right time and Hardie showed this last season.You cannot teach players to do this,it is down to natural instinct.

I think Oldage that Argyle failed to sign Aldridge from Newport County, not Liverpool. we could not have afforded his transfer fee!

I might be wrong, but from what I remember, the board wanted to sign them both, but Bobby Moncur who was the manager at the time didn't want them both and had threatened to walk out if it happened.
I thought BM resigned because Argyle wouldn't pay the Ā£15000 for Aldridge on top of Ā£10000 for Tommy. Wasn't it the FA cup semi final season? If so just dreaming now but if Aldridge had that Kevin Hodges chance I wonder........

Apr 24, 2013
If i remember correctly argyle could of bought both players but could only afford one so picked tynan.

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
Youā€™re all wrong. Argyle weā€™re playing away at Newport. We already had Tommy Tynan. Over beer & sandwiches, it was explained by Newportā€™s directors that they were totally skint, so they offered Aldridge to Argyle for the princely sum of Ā£15,000, just to keep them afloat. The Argyle directors were excited by this and agreed to pay the money. At the end of the match they told manager Bobby Moncur what a coup they had performed. Apparently, he went ballistic, pointing out that HE was the manager, and how dare they interfere - he didnā€™t want Aldridge. So the Argyle directors had to go back to the Newport directors to say, no. Later, Aldridge was sold to Oxford for a lot more than Ā£15,000, who shortly after sold him to Liverpool for Ā£800,000. He became Liverpoolā€™s top scorer. Argyleā€™s most disastrous non-signing of all time??

Jul 12, 2016
Of course Aldridge was nearly signed from Newport and not Liverpool.Many thanks for jogging my memory :nworthy:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
mercedes":1qwbqe5l said:
Youā€™re all wrong. Argyle weā€™re playing away at Newport. We already had Tommy Tynan. Over beer & sandwiches, it was explained by Newportā€™s directors that they were totally skint, so they offered Aldridge to Argyle for the princely sum of Ā£15,000, just to keep them afloat. The Argyle directors were excited by this and agreed to pay the money. At the end of the match they told manager Bobby Moncur what a coup they had performed. Apparently, he went ballistic, pointing out that HE was the manager, and how dare they interfere - he didnā€™t want Aldridge. So the Argyle directors had to go back to the Newport directors to say, no. Later, Aldridge was sold to Oxford for a lot more than Ā£15,000, who shortly after sold him to Liverpool for Ā£800,000. He became Liverpoolā€™s top scorer. Argyleā€™s most disastrous non-signing of all time??

Bobby himself told me that self same story. Ellis Stuttard was the Argyle man with him at the time.

Aug 5, 2015
Didnā€™t we sign a clapped out Tony Kellow shortly afterwards? Just goes to show how much centre halves know about strikers.

Feb 23, 2006
Quintrell_Green":2vvccuop said:
Kentishgreen":2vvccuop said:
Thatā€™s a bloody good idea. Set up a Reminiscence Board for all the old fogies like me

We will need soon to have our memories prompted that we need to post reminiscences.
May be the powers to be on Pasoti can do a survey on the various age groups here.
Dont think theres anyone going Goo Ga Go but thats probably a matter of opinion.
So whos the oldest on forum,they probably can go a few score years back on memories.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
FOR DEITY OF YOUR CHOICE'S SAKE!!!

I locked the last rumours thread because it went off topic!!

Stick to player rumours here and start your own age discussion thread in the Coffee Bar.