Plymouth Argyle transfer rumour round-up | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle transfer rumour round-up

Mar 14, 2009
All this stuff about Hardie and if you look back he didn’t manage to hold down a regular first team starting place.

Apart from the last two games before Covid-19 he was in and out of the side.

I’m not denying he didn’t score some crucial goals and played well in certain matches.

But every season we build someone up and then when they don’t perform to our very high expectations as a fanbase we end up hammering them. I feel sorry for them. I really do because if they don’t become the next Argyle “legend” they will be seen as a failure.

Danny Mayor is a great example from last season. How many times was he criticised last season. A lot of it based on people’s expectations of what he was going to do. I accept Lowe’s comments at the start raised expectation levels but if he wasn’t beating 3 or 4 players then he was coming in for criticism. He had a decent season but our expectation levels as a fanbase were so high people were disappointed in him even if he had a decent game.

Danny Mayor still had an influence on last season and sometimes the small things go unnoticed. For example, how many times was he double marked? Which created more space for other players in the team

We talk about our national press doing this with our sports people but when l read some of the comments we can be just as guilty.

I’m sure if he signs he will be a benefit because at the moment we lack pace in that area to stretch teams. However, l think Telford could be just as crucial as him and hopefully we will see another forward come to this club. I don’t think if Hardie signs he is straight into the team.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I agree with MGM's post above - Hardie scored some good goals but he didn't show that he could deliver over 90 mins. People getting carried away ?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Midfielder Hope Akpan is the latest player to be linked with us. He's been released by Bradford but while at the Everton academy Neil Dewsnip was his coach, Steven Schumacher would also know him at Everton.

Jul 12, 2016
Dorset Pilgrim":3u6jcrk6 said:
I agree with MGM's post above - Hardie scored some good goals but he didn't show that he could deliver over 90 mins. People getting carried away ?
He doesn't need to deliver for 90 mins. Tynan rarely did a 90 minute shift but boy need he know where the net was.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":2uedfpsf said:
Admittedly Hardie has yet to prove himself at league one level but having seen what he did for us last year he is the nearest to a natural goalscorer we have had since Tommy Tynan.

Are you putting him ahead of SEB, BWP and Reuben Reid then? Surely it’s a bit early to make such a claim Oldage on limited evidence. By the way, I rate him as a good prospect and have done from the start. You weren’t very complimentary about him when we signed him, from memory.

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":3h49uijx said:
oldage":3h49uijx said:
Admittedly Hardie has yet to prove himself at league one level but having seen what he did for us last year he is the nearest to a natural goalscorer we have had since Tommy Tynan.

Are you putting him ahead of SEB, BWP and Reuben Reid then? Surely it’s a bit early to make such a claim Oldage on limited evidence. By the way, I rate him as a good prospect and have done from the start. You weren’t very complimentary about him when we signed him, from memory.
Hands up. I was underwhelmed when he first joined us but I am not afraid to admit I got it wrong. IMHO in all the years I have supported Argyle, Tynan is the best,natural goalscorer we have had and was way ahead of the other three. We also had a chance to sign John Aldridge from Liverpool at the same time.What a striking partnership that would have been!
Tynan had a knack of being in the right place at the right time and Hardie showed this last season.You cannot teach players to do this,it is down to natural instinct.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
oldage":oz8l2frs said:
Devongreenowl":oz8l2frs said:
oldage":oz8l2frs said:

Hands up. I was underwhelmed when he first joined us but I am not afraid to admit I got it wrong. IMHO in all the years I have supported Argyle, Tynan is the best,natural goalscorer we have had and was way ahead of the other three. We also had a chance to sign John Aldridge from Liverpool at the same time.What a striking partnership that would have been!
Tynan had a knack of being in the right place at the right time and Hardie showed this last season.You cannot teach players to do this,it is down to natural instinct.

I think Oldage that Argyle failed to sign Aldridge from Newport County, not Liverpool. we could not have afforded his transfer fee!

Sep 6, 2006
What I liked about Hardie as well as his pace was his calmness in front of goal,rather than try to break the back of net and blast the ball over the bar. Always seemed to hit the target. Priceless. Speaks volumes for our recruiting network that we are able to identify such players the other end of the country.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":3gubfgk0 said:
Devongreenowl":3gubfgk0 said:
oldage":3gubfgk0 said:

Maybe your opinion of the incoming Hardie was tainted by what we’d seen from Rudden! You were going through a pretty negative time all round last January, what with also saying no way we’d get promoted. No doubt Tynan was lower league Greaves-esque. One of those players who always popped up in the right place. If he’d had a yard more pace he’d have been a top flight player.

One of those rare occasions when a former Wednesday player has improved at Argyle, rather than vice versa! Still have nightmares about Beswetherick though :facepalm:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Quintrell_Green":32h2rdus said:
oldage":32h2rdus said:
Devongreenowl":32h2rdus said:
oldage":32h2rdus said:

I think Oldage that Argyle failed to sign Aldridge from Newport County, not Liverpool. we could not have afforded his transfer fee!

I might be wrong, but from what I remember, the board wanted to sign them both, but Bobby Moncur who was the manager at the time didn't want them both and had threatened to walk out if it happened.

Mar 14, 2009
All this £200,000 on Hardie just seems nonsense to me especially when it was Simon Hallett that stated we won’t be spending big money on transfer fees. And for Argyle, in this current financial situation That is big money.

We can’t justify that kind of money especially when there are certain Argyle employees probably about to lose their jobs.

Finally, in one of the national newspapers we certainly can’t justify that kind of fee if only 33% of fans are allowed back into the ground come October.

Maybe people have some sort of crystal ball. Or maybe they just assume that Covid-19 is almost over. Yet when the weather changes, come the start of the football season, we might see an increase in infection rate.

We simply just don’t know. And because we don’t know how can we honestly justify spending that kind of money. Even if there wasn’t any Covid-19 l don’t think we would because l think it’s a huge outlay for one player and l can’t see this being the model of the football club from listening to what Hallett has said previously.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":3qtiqm6f said:
I heard a rumour that pafc_casual was planning to post on here soon.
He could be on furlough and out of the picture.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":2exiomhh said:
We can’t justify that kind of money especially when there are certain Argyle employees probably about to lose their jobs.

The club stated it was a “restructuring”. There will be people who cannot perform their role in this climate and therefore it makes no sense to retain them. Likewise there are others where the club may have realised they were an expendable resource, in “bloated” areas of the business potentially. Argyle will be one of millions of employers taking these steps.

However, this is a football club. Football is the business and the football side of the business is the most important when it comes to investment because it’s the football that makes the money. I think it would be unfair to suggest we cannot buy a player because someone in the club shop was made redundant. An outlay of £200,000 on Hardie could be the difference between us making the playoffs or finishing 15th. Which is worth thousands to the club for a potential home semi and a trip to Wembley. Optimistic outlook, I appreciate. But he’d buy himself.

It’s not a nice situation and I feel for anyone in this crisis who has lost their job, but I don’t think it should stop the club from investing in the squad in a sensible manner. That decision obviously lies with Simon Hallett. I’ve always felt that whilst Hallett was forthright, he was also tempering expectations with his statements and financially we are in a comfortable, if not slightly strained, position, rather than a position where we are on the edge of collapse.